Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifty Years Ago Today....

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Good for you guys!
    Thank you! It was a quick and easy passage. I am loving having sanity back in my state again.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-24-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,385 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aimée View Post
    Thank you! It was a quick and easy passage. I am loving having sanity back in my state again.
    I bet you're glad to be shut of Governor Redneck too, eh?

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

I bet you're glad to be shut of Governor Redneck too, eh?
    Oh, my gosh! Governor Mills is a breath of fresh air! LOL! It certainly feels great to not be embarrassed anymore.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

Bill (06-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-24-2019)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,838 Times in 14,180 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Back in the early 70'S long island NY banned foam plates and cups and detergent containing phosphorous
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Bill (06-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-24-2019)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aimée View Post
    Oh, my gosh! Governor Mills is a breath of fresh air! LOL! It certainly feels great to not be embarrassed anymore.
    What do you think of Sen. Collin's chances of reelection?

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

.... The Cuyahoga River caught fire. Again.

https://www.businessinsider.com/vint...ore-epa-2019-6
    At least a dozen other fires, sparked by pollution in the water, broke out on the river in the late 1800s and 1900s.

Who is against clean water? Anyone? Why can't States deal with this? It's not a Federal matter.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    At least a dozen other fires, sparked by pollution in the water, broke out on the river in the late 1800s and 1900s.

Who is against clean water? Anyone? Why can't States deal with this? It's not a Federal matter.
    It's a federal matter because streams cross state boundaries, and states often share lakes. What good does it do for Illinois and Arkansas, for instance, to have regulations regarding what can be dumped in the Mississippi, if Missouri doesn't give a shit? Isn't that kind of unfair to everyone else downstream from Missouri?

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's a federal matter because streams cross state boundaries, and states often share lakes. What good does it do for Illinois and Arkansas, for instance, to have regulations regarding what can be dumped in the Mississippi, if Missouri doesn't give a shit? Isn't that kind of unfair to everyone else downstream from Missouri?
    Why do you think the citizens of ANY state want dirty water?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

The parental units took us on a three-week trip out West in 1969. I remember the Truckee River, how clear and cold and beautiful it was. And Lake Tahoe, too. Nothing like the filthy brown sludge that we called the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers back home. Sometimes we would see someone pulled off on the side of the road, fly-fishing in the Truckee. Do they still do that?
    Yes, quite pristine...

Mississippi~when I lived in NOLA the joke was the water was drank 10 times before it got there (mid 70's), not so funny if you lived there & had nothing else to drink..

The water, no exaggeration, if you held up to a light, had a yellow tinge to it... No matter how long you ran the faucet..

Now w/ Reno growing so much there isn't as much water in the Truckee, (Last few an exception) so not as much but most now go over to the walker & Carson rivers were reliable flows can be counted on.....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

A century ago, Centralia, Pennsylvania was a busy small town filled with shops, residents and a brisk mining business. Coal from local mines fueled its homes and its economy, and its 1,200 residents worked, played and lived as tight-knit neighbors.

Today couldn’t be more different. Centralia’s streets are abandoned. Most of its buildings are gone, and smoke wafts down graffiti-strewn highways where a prosperous town once stood. The formerly busy burg has turned into a ghost town. The cause was something that’s still happening beneath Centralia’s empty streets: a mine fire that’s been burning for over 50 years, resulting in the devastation of a community and the eviction and impoverishment of many of its residents.

Coal seam fires are nothing new, but Centralia’s is the United States’ worst and one of history’s most devastating. Before the 1962 fire, Centralia had been a mining center for over a century. Home to a rich deposit of anthracite coal, the town was incorporated after mining began in the 1850s.

[The History Channel]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-24-2019)

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    A century ago, Centralia, Pennsylvania was a busy small town filled with shops, residents and a brisk mining business. Coal from local mines fueled its homes and its economy, and its 1,200 residents worked, played and lived as tight-knit neighbors.

Today couldn’t be more different. Centralia’s streets are abandoned. Most of its buildings are gone, and smoke wafts down graffiti-strewn highways where a prosperous town once stood. The formerly busy burg has turned into a ghost town. The cause was something that’s still happening beneath Centralia’s empty streets: a mine fire that’s been burning for over 50 years, resulting in the devastation of a community and the eviction and impoverishment of many of its residents.

Coal seam fires are nothing new, but Centralia’s is the United States’ worst and one of history’s most devastating. Before the 1962 fire, Centralia had been a mining center for over a century. Home to a rich deposit of anthracite coal, the town was incorporated after mining began in the 1850s.

[The History Channel]
    I have heard of these, but 50 years, WTF?? no way to put them out??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Why do you think the citizens of ANY state want dirty water?
    I'm not sure why you're so confused. Did I say that? No, I did not. If you want an adult discussion, try responding to what is written rather than making up shit.

OTOH, the Toadstool is doing everything possible to roll back environmental protections, with a wink and a nod from industry who whines that it's too expensive to not pollute. Would you like a serving of coal ash in your tap water?

https://content.sierraclub.org/coal/...atens-families

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I was just going to ask the same thing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Bill (06-24-2019)

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Here is an interesting read about the challenge and the damage done to our planet because of these fires.

https://www.earthmagazine.org/articl...e-centralia-pa

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

Bill (06-24-2019)

21. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Here is an interesting read about the challenge and the damage done to our planet because of these fires.

https://www.earthmagazine.org/articl...e-centralia-pa
    Holy jeebus. This is terrifying.

"In addition to carbon dioxide, “coal fires produce as many as 60 different toxic compounds, many of which are carcinogenic,” says Glenn Stracher, an expert on coal fires at East Georgia College in Swainsboro. Such toxins include arsenic, selenium, fluorine, sulfur, lead, copper, bismuth, tin, germanium and mercury, he says. Robert Finkelman, a medical geologist at the University of Texas at Dallas, estimates that 40 tons of mercury are released every year by uncontrolled coal fires, which is on a par with the amount produced by coal-fired power plants in the United States. “If we could extinguish those fires,” he says, “it would make a worthwhile contribution to reducing mercury pollution as well as carbon dioxide and other toxic elements.”"

and

"China alone loses between 100 million and 200 million tons of coal each year to mine fires, as much as 20 percent of their annual production, according to the International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation, based in Enschede, Netherlands. The Institute estimates that carbon dioxide emissions from these fires are as high as 1.1 billion metric tons, more than the total carbon dioxide emissions from automobiles in the United States. Second to China is India, where 10 million tons of coal burns annually in mine fires, contributing a further 51 million metric tons of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere."

Poor Gaia.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Bill (06-24-2019)