Thread: Fifty Years Ago Today....

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I've gone to Lake Tahoe basically every summer since the mid '80's. Heading up there next week for the 4th. It is a beautiful and amazing place. And yes the water is still, pardon my French, balls cold. And yes people will still fly fish in the Truckee.
    I'm so envious. Do you have a cabin or camp there? Hope you enjoy your vacation in heaven!

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    the issues were already being fixed long before the EPA. As the article explains - the reason this fire was such a big deal is because fires were becoming rare on water - when they used to be commonplace.
    One power that the EPA was given is the ability to go after polluters to recoup the cost of remediation, as well as fine them. Prior to its formation, that process was hit or miss, particularly when the problem was spread over a large area and/or cross state borders. In cases where the polluter had no assets to recoup cost of remediation, the EPA was allowed to take on the job. In Times Beach, for instance, the polluter, Russell Bliss, was a fly-by-night guy with nothing to seize. The state of Missouri could not afford the remediation costs either, although the state paid residents to relocate. Here is an interesting look at the whole Times Beach disaster:

https://www.stlmag.com/Remember-Time...0-Years-Later/

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Yep, we can definitely see them in various places across the lake. South Shore and over by Cal Neva come to mind.

And I'm with you, i don't get all that excited by fireworks either anymore. When I was young I thought watching them on the Lake in a boat was cool but now that's just a sh*t show.
    I saw a pretty good one when Santa Cruz was having their Sesquicentennial & had a nice display over the water.. We sat on the rock just on the other side of the river on Castle(sea bright) beach... Wasn't big but it was pretty over the calm water..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,137 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I saw a pretty good one when Santa Cruz was having their Sesquicentennial & had a nice display over the water.. We sat on the rock just on the other side of the river on Castle(sea bright) beach... Wasn't big but it was pretty over the calm water..
    I’ll always be a kid at heart as far as fireworks, I love them. We lived near the owner of GCI in Anchorage, and he use to have a better display than did the city of Anchorage. It must have cost him a fortune.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Aimée (06-26-2019), Bill (06-25-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-25-2019)

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I’ll always be a kid at heart as far as fireworks, I love them. We lived near the owner of GCI in Anchorage, and he use to have a better display than did the city of Anchorage. It must have cost him a fortune.
    I love them too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Aimée (06-26-2019)

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Welcome home. We have a pretty good display here but way to many ppl, it takes some ppl 2 hours to get out of the park.. I'll be home dog sitting anyway..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    .... The Cuyahoga River caught fire. Again.

https://www.businessinsider.com/vint...ore-epa-2019-6
    Oh, nothing to worry about. Pollution affects the poor mostly. The rich are insulated from it in their McMansions behind gated walls. If they want clean waters to play in they just fly to wherever that can still be found.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-25-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-25-2019)

11. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

I asked WHAT WERE THE OTHER CHOICES???? Do nothing??
    things were being done

what so many on the left continually fail to realize or understand is government policy changes are a result of shifts in public sentiment on the issues of the day. That same shift would of - and was - manifesting itself in differences regardless of an EPA being formed.

12. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

things were being done

what so many on the left continually fail to realize or understand is government policy changes are a result of shifts in public sentiment on the issues of the day. That same shift would of - and was - manifesting itself in differences regardless of an EPA being formed.
    Things, OyE fuckin VaY!!!

Not about the left or right, both parties dealt w/ the problem~that's the truth, if you wish to face it or not, I don't much care...

I was a kid, not on the left or right, but I wanted to be able to see across the street, not live in smog alerts etc etc etc.......

13. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Things, OyE fuckin VaY!!!

Not about the left or right, both parties dealt w/ the problem~that's the truth, if you wish to face it or not, I don't much care...

I was a kid, not on the left or right, but I wanted to be able to see across the street, not live in smog alerts etc etc etc.......
    a government is nothing but an extension of the people it serves.

public sentiment needed changed. When people cared about conservation - things started improving. This was happening long, long before the EPA was formed - which only could happen because public sentiment was being reshaped.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zymurgy For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-25-2019)

15. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Welcome home. We have a pretty good display here but way to many ppl, it takes some ppl 2 hours to get out of the park.. I'll be home dog sitting anyway..
    We are traveling, it’s why I’ll be here to entertain most of the day! Im looking for peaches on the way! It’s peach season here and I love fresh peaches that you bite into
    and juice runs down your face! Yum!

You’re the best, thank goodness for good dog sitters! We left ours with a friend.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-25-2019)

17. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Oh, nothing to worry about. Pollution affects the poor mostly. The rich are insulated from it in their McMansions behind gated walls. If they want clean waters to play in they just fly to wherever that can still be found.
    NIMBY is the policy of the rich.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-25-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-25-2019)

19. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

a government is nothing but an extension of the people it serves.

public sentiment needed changed. When people cared about conservation - things started improving. This was happening long, long before the EPA was formed - which only could happen because public sentiment was being reshaped.
    Blah blah blah, get back to the river on fire.......... & if you find those choices pls post UM, thnx....

20. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Blah blah blah, get back to the river on fire.......... & if you find those choices pls post UM, thnx....
    blabla is right

wow - you offer nothing of substance

21. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

blabla is right

wow - you offer nothing of substance
    You made a post, I asked what the alternatives where to taking the actions taken~you have not replied to that..

If & when you do, let me know, I am not wasting any more time w/ you & have a nice day.