Thread: Maher mocks 2020 Democrats, implores Oprah to run:

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,755 Times in 33,625 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    In related news, the Grand Old Party has only been able to win the popular vote one single time since the long-ago 1980s.

Yep. Only single time since the 1980s have Republicans been able to convince a plurality of the nation's voters that their ideas have merit.
    That just amazes me. No wonder they fight to protect the gerrymandering and electoral college.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (06-24-2019)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I guess the sad thing in that is the dems can't win even if they get a majority of the votes.
    That just shows how rigged the system really is.

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I guess the sad thing in that is the dems can't win even if they get a majority of the votes.
    I may be misunderstanding you here but technically speaking neither Gore nor Hillary got a majority of the vote when they lost. They won the popular vote but they didn't have a majority.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    OIC, just a comedy show now.
    There is a long history of American comedians using politics as a base for comedy. Will Rogers was a famous one with homespun humor gouging politicians. Mark Twain, Bierce,Menken preceded modern comedians like Lenny Bruce, Carlin, Smothers Bros, Colbert and Lewis Black. Yes, he is a comedian using humor.
    However, the Oprah thing works because we elected a reality TV host for president. She is everything he is, but bigger and better,

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    That just shows how rigged the system really is.
    Rigged?? Isn't that the rules they both agreed to play by.....??

Perhaps the Dem party is advocating doing something about changing that?? I have not heard about it?? Will in be in their platform??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I may be misunderstanding you here but technically speaking neither Gore nor Hillary got a majority of the vote when they lost. They won the popular vote but they didn't have a majority.
    lol, were you looking to argue the definitions of majority?? I'm not........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    There is a long history of American comedians using politics as a base for comedy. Will Rogers was a famous one with homespun humor gouging politicians. Mark Twain, Bierce,Menken preceded modern comedians like Lenny Bruce, Carlin, Smothers Bros, Colbert and Lewis Black. Yes, he is a comedian using humor.
    However, the Oprah thing works because we elected a reality TV host for president. She is everything he is, but bigger and better,
    To bad she isn't interested in a new job.............

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Rigged?? Isn't that the rules they both agreed to play by.....??

Perhaps the Dem party is advocating doing something about changing that?? I have not heard about it?? Will in be in their platform??
    Well they don't really have a choice but to play by those rules until the system is changed. In the meantime, every presidential election is rigged against the Democrats.

I know Buttigieg wants to do away with the electoral college. As of now, I don't think any other candidates have a stance on it.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Well they don't really have a choice but to play by those rules until the system is changed. In the meantime, every presidential election is rigged against the Democrats.

I know Buttigieg wants to do away with the electoral college. As of now, I don't think any other candidates have a stance on it.
    I would like to do away w/ it as well...... I just don't think either party is interested in doing it~perhaps they see it as a slippery slope to democracy & a loss of their power??
    Last edited by Bill; 06-24-2019 at 06:45 PM.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I would like to do away w/ it as well...... I just don't think either party is interested in doing it~perhaps they see it as a slippery slope to democracy & a loss of power on their power??
    Yeah, I'm sure they want to keep it in case a true revolutionary were to get the popular vote.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Bill (06-24-2019)

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

To bad she isn't interested in a new job.............
    I hope she does not get in. She is almost as unqualified as Trump. We have to suffer another 1.5 years of his breaking things. I do not need another person learning the job by getting it.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

He's only a "comedian" when his opinions can't be defended.

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I hope she does not get in. She is almost as unqualified as Trump. We have to suffer another 1.5 years of his breaking things. I do not need another person learning the job by getting it.
    So who, if I may ask, are you hoping for @ this point of the game??

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    And this is the problem. CHEATING using the Electoral College

Not voter turnout.

People need to stop totally focusing on voting and start focusing on cheating.

Demand 1 person, 1 vote

You win the internet today!
    I have always hated the electoral college, and even when there were indications that Al Gore might win the EC will losing the popular vote, I still hated the EC. I would not have felt right having a democratic president who was not able to convince a plurality of voters of his/her merit.

So I want the EC gone on principle, as a matter of fairness and justice.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

TTQ64 (06-25-2019)

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Many argue the electoral college was a safeguard to keep the unwashed masses from making a mistake. The electoral college could repair the poor choices. It went wrong. Now it helps the worst candidate win . The Repubs wanted to end the Electoral College many times. Now they see it helps them, it is suddenly is patriotic to keep it. Every time it overruled the popular vote, a red won.
    Now that’s a matter of opinion, isn’t it?