21. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

4 19.05%
  • no

15 71.43%
  • other

2 9.52%
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you support slavery reparations?

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 4,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Exactly. A person can't discriminate against people based on sexual orientation, whether the reason for wanting to do so is religious or secular.
    Unless it involves the constitutional right of freedom of religion which may trump civil rights laws against discrimination (depending on the circumstances).

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Unless it involves the constitutional right of freedom of religion which may trump civil rights laws against discrimination (depending on the circumstances).
    It shouldn't, but I'm sure there have been cases where laws against discrimination are ignored for religious reasons.
    Which, of course, would only further discredit the War on Christianity narrative.

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It shouldn't, but I'm sure there have been cases where laws against discrimination are ignored for religious reasons.
    Which, of course, would only further discredit the War on Christianity narrative.
    What shouldn't? Constitutional rights shouldn't outweigh statutory law? They always have. There are many cases in which people have been exempted from secular laws if it violates their religious beliefs if it does no harm---schools requiring a pledge of allegiance, Amish children only attending school to the 8th grade, etc. Those do not involve anti-discrimination based on sexual orientation, but the recent case involving the baker is a good example (although his case was based on another issue).

4. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Yeah, yeah, and it violates my conscious to serve tall Swiss men with red hair.
    Like I said, I agree that these laws are wrong. I say if it's a private business, you should be allowed to discriminate. But this has nothing to do with religion.

America never had complete freedom of religion. We always limited freedom of religion for certain reasons, such as the examples I gave earlier.
    I’m not completely free to practice my religion lol? What country am I in?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

5. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What shouldn't? Constitutional rights shouldn't outweigh statutory law? They always have. There are many cases in which people have been exempted from secular laws if it violates their religious beliefs if it does no harm---schools requiring a pledge of allegiance, Amish children only attending school to the 8th grade, etc. Those do not involve anti-discrimination based on sexual orientation, but the recent case involving the baker is a good example (although his case was based on another issue).
    Requiring kids to say the pledge of allegiance isn't law. And if it is, that's a whole different problem. And Amish kids still need to attend private school or home-schooling if they don't want to go to High School.

While I don't like the anti-discrimination laws, I don't want religious loopholes in them. If a law is bad, it should be changed, it shouldn't be ignored because the angels said so.

6. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    I’m not completely free to practice my religion lol? What country am I in?
    No country has full religious freedom. And would you want that? Would you want to be captured and sold into slavery by people who say their religion tells them to do this?

7. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Requiring kids to say the pledge of allegiance isn't law. And if it is, that's a whole different problem. And Amish kids still need to attend private school or home-schooling if they don't want to go to High School.

While I don't like the anti-discrimination laws, I don't want religious loopholes in them. If a law is bad, it should be changed, it shouldn't be ignored because the angels said so.
    Saying the pledge was (and still is in many places) a law and students were suspended for not saying it and parents were charged with keeping their kids out of school. Amish kids may need to get more schooling but the Supreme Court ruled they are exempted from compulsory attendance laws and they are not required to get education further than the 8th grade.

The religious loopholes are provided by the 1st Amendment.

8. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Saying the pledge was (and still is in many places) a law and students were suspended for not saying it and parents were charged with keeping their kids out of school. Amish kids may need to get more schooling but the Supreme Court ruled they are exempted from compulsory attendance laws and they are not required to get education further than the 8th grade.
    That's absolutely terrible. I don't like throwing around the word Fascist, since it's used way too much, but forcing kids to pledge allegiance to the country is pretty Fascisty. And saying kids are exempt from High School because of religion is just asinine.
    So yeah, not only is Christianity not under attack, but some Christians have rights they shouldn't have.

9. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 96 Times in 94 Posts

Only if Jewish and Japanese people get reparations.

10. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,770 Times in 3,312 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 166 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    I venture to say most blacks would see it as being divisive.
    Everything liberals do involving race is about being divisive while accusing others of being divisive.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to artichoke For This Post:

Darth Omar (06-24-2019)

12. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You already tried this copy and paste bullshit post with me.
    "Tried"...like it's some kind of dirty trick to provide a plethora of evidence of what you're claiming doesn't happen happening all day, every day, all across the country? Seriously, lay down the crack pipe.

I pointed out that these people were punished for homophobia and transphobia, not being Christian.
    Punished...for being against homosexuality, perversion, and mental illness...based on being Christian...hence, punished for being Christian. Try to keep up.

If a Nigerian is arrested for yelling violent threats at people, that is not racism against Nigerians. That does not mean the evil Left is trying to eradicate Nigerians.
    Idiotic apples and oranges fallacy. Yelling violent threats at people isn't a tenant of Christianity...and yelling violent threats at people crosses into violating another person's rights, whereas opting out of participating and endorsing in homosexual marriage, for instance, violates no one's rights. Try again, brainiac.

The truth is, you just don't like that Christians are held to the same standards as everyone else.
    The same standard...in the sense that literally no one else is being ordered to violate their beliefs, jailed, fined, sued into bankruptcy, and silenced for their religion. Yes, except for in every sense of the word, the standard Christians are being held to is exactly the "same." What a fucking idiot.

You want to be able to spout hate speech,
    Translation: YOU want to be able to smear anything you don't like as hate speech.

and probably do hate crimes,
    Political violence is the left's gig, not mine. Try again.

Of course, if it was a Muslim doing it, then it would be wrong, correct?
    Muslims...the people you defend as a religion of peace and tolerance, execute homosexuals all over the world, as part of their bloodthirsty death cult's teachings. Funny you should bring up the one group of people that prove everything you are saying to be a lie. And for the record, Muslims aren't forced to violate their religion even when they go out of their way to take jobs that violate their religious views...

Muslim Truck Drivers Fired for Refusing to Deliver Beer Awarded $240K

Last edited by artichoke; 06-24-2019 at 06:12 PM.

13. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post

"Tried"...like it's some kind of dirty trick to provide a plethora of evidence of what you're claiming doesn't happen happening all day, every day, all across the country? Seriously, lay down the crack pipe.

Punished...for being against homosexuality, perversion, and mental illness...based on being Christian...hence, punished for being Christian. Try to keep up.

Idiotic apples and oranges fallacy. Yelling violent threats at people isn't a tenant of Christianity...and yelling violent threats at people crosses into violating another person's rights, whereas opting out of participating and endorsing in homosexual marriage, for instance, violates no one's rights. Try again, brainiac.

The same standard...in the sense that literally no one else is being ordered to violate their beliefs, jailed, fined, sued into bankruptcy, and silenced for their religion. Yes, except for in every sense of the word, the standard Christians are being held to is exactly the "same." What a fucking idiot.

Translation: YOU want to be able to smear anything you don't like as hate speech.

Political violence is the left's gig, not mine. Try again.

Muslims...the people you defend as a religion of peace and tolerance, execute homosexuals all over the world, as part of their bloodthirsty death cult's teachings. Funny you should bring up the one group of people that prove everything you are saying to be a lie. And for the record, Muslims aren't forced to violate their religion even when they go out of their way to take jobs that violate their religious views...

Muslim Truck Drivers Fired for Refusing to Deliver Beer Awarded $240K

TL ; DR

14. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your rights end where someone else's rights begin.
    Which you are the only one here failing to comprehend. Free religious exercise is a right. Forcing others to endorse and participate in your lifestyle is not a right. Seriously. Crack open a book sometime.

You're free to worship your imaginary friend all you want, but you're not allowed to stone gay people to death,
    Only your "religion of peace" does that, imbecile.
    Last edited by artichoke; 06-24-2019 at 06:22 PM.

15. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Sorry.
    No, not really. Tough shit.
    Saying, "Huh uh" only passes for a serious counterpoint among liberals.

16. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    Which you are the only one here failing to comprehend. Free religious exercise is a right. The right to force others to endorse and participate in your lifestyle is not a right. Seriously. Crack open a book sometime.
    No shit. Which is why it's not legal to force someone to endorse and participate in your lifestyle. Are gay people trying to force you to attend gay weddings or something?

Only your "religion of peace" does that, imbecile.
    I'm not part of a religion, so not sure what you're imagining.