Thread: Im writing a book. Can you help me?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Im writing a book. Can you help me?

I need
    Ideas, opinions also
    publishing help.

The book's on random innovative ideas like the origins of the mona lisa to the US china trade deficit solution to global warming etc etc

Who wants to join my book writing team?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thethinkertank View Post
    I need
    Ideas, opinions also
    publishing help.

The book's on random innovative ideas like the origins of the mona lisa to the US china trade deficit solution to global warming etc etc

I’d start with a fictional biography of her being the bastard daughter of a Medici Pope and was brought up to be a courtesan and was Divinci’s patrons courtesan and the two became secret lovers.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Im writing a book. Can you help me?
    yes......the page numbers should be consecutive.......

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-26-2019), USFREEDOM911 (06-21-2019)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    yes......the page numbers should be consecutive.......
    One of my mentors was an environmental attorney and I learned more about writing from him in terms of editing, structure, staying on point and understanding your audience and writing for them, than from anyone. It was tough love learning from the cantankerous bastard though.

He also taught me how to deal with the editing and peer review process. That is to be open minded to better ideas or when you are wrong or haven’t flushed out the details but most importantly how to defend your ideas.

The hardest part though was admitting he was right on technical and scientific issues that he was pretty clueless about. Being right doesn’t mean shit if no one wants to read what you wrote.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 06-26-2019 at 06:13 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Aimée (06-26-2019)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Hire an editor or learn proper punctuation, such as I'm, not Im.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I’d start with a fictional biography of her being the bastard daughter of a Medici Pope and was brought up to be a courtesan and was Divinci’s patrons courtesan and the two became secret lovers.
    wow i cant weight 4 the nding

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-26-2019)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 89 Posts

I need
    Ideas, opinions also
    publishing help.
    To thethinkertank: I will assume you have the latest editions of Writer’s Guide to Book Editors, Publishers’, and Literary Agents and Writer’s Market Where & How to Sell What You Write and/or Writer’s Market The Electronic Edition. It took me a while to find my copies that were published 20 years ago.

Pay particular attention to your ‘COVER LETTER”. That is the best help I can give you.

NOTE: Be especially wary of paying a hustler thousand of dollars to “EDITOR” your book. Ditto —— beware of online agents who ask for money up-front. Agents are supposed to make money for you, not take money from you.

I wrote a couple of novels and a novella way back when. No luck in getting them published.

I did post my novella on a message board. A few thousand people read it over the years. I have not checked the total number in ten years. I doubt if anybody can find it now.

If I live long enough I might collate all the political topics I posted on message boards in 20 years and turn them into a non-fiction book. My problem is that trying to get it published seems like a waste of time at this late date.

A few friends who read and enjoyed my literary efforts suggested I self-publish. I looked into it but decided it was not for me.

To thethinkertank:
    Not I.
    The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    To thethinkertank: I will assume you have the latest editions of Writer’s Guide to Book Editors, Publishers’, and Literary Agents and Writer’s Market Where & How to Sell What You Write and/or Writer’s Market The Electronic Edition. It took me a while to find my copies that were published 20 years ago.

Pay particular attention to your ‘COVER LETTER”. That is the best help I can give you.

NOTE: Be especially wary of paying a hustler thousand of dollars to “EDITOR” your book. Ditto —— beware of online agents who ask for money up-front. Agents are supposed to make money for you, not take money from you.

I wrote a couple of novels and a novella way back when. No luck in getting them published.

I did post my novella on a message board. A few thousand people read it over the years. I have not checked the total number in ten years. I doubt if anybody can find it now.

If I live long enough I might collate all the political topics I posted on message boards in 20 years and turn them into a non-fiction book. My problem is that trying to get it published seems like a waste of time at this late date.

A few friends who read and enjoyed my literary efforts suggested I self-publish. I looked into it but decided it was not for me.

To thethinkertank:
    Not I.
    Ned I think given the examples of your postings you’d have nearly a consensus of the entire JPP membership that it would be a waste of time trying to get your writing published.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    you’d have nearly a consensus of the entire JPP membership that it would be a waste of time trying to get your writing published.
    To Matt the Hoople: The majority of members on most message boards are Democrats. They all have one thing in common —— attack the messenger because they cannot attack the message.

I do not, nor did I ever, write messages for Democrats. If I ever do get my opinions published in a book liberals could not respond à la message boards. Demonstrating to have my book banned in Boston is their only recourse. I look forward to seeing you carrying a sign in Boston.
    The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer