Thread: U.S. says mines used in tanker attacks bear "striking resemblance" to Iran's

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default U.S. says mines used in tanker attacks bear "striking resemblance" to Iran's

The limpet mines used to attack a Japanese-owned oil tanker near the Strait of Hormuz last week bore "a striking resemblance" to similar mines displayed by Iran, a U.S. Navy explosives expert said Wednesday, stopping short of directly blaming Tehran for the assault. The comments by Cmdr. Sean Kido came as the Navy showed reporters pieces of debris and a magnet they said Iran's Revolutionary Guard left behind when they spirited away an unexploded limpet mine after the June 13 attack in the Gulf of Oman.

Kido showed the journalists, including CBS News correspondent Charlie D'Agata, fragments from one of the exploded weapons the U.S. says were used in the attack, in addition to the magnet left affixed to the Japanese ship.

D'Agata said the information was clearly meant to stack up the case against Iran. The Trump administration has insisted Iran was to blame since not long after the attacks last week, and it has steadily ratcheted up that casting of blame and tried to convince allies around the world to point the finger at Tehran, too.
    Nevertheless, the Navy showed a picture previously shared among weapons experts of a limpet mine on display in Iran, which they said resembled the one they suspected was used on the ship. That picture showed a conical mine, some 90 pounds in weight, on display with a sign next to it identifying it as being produced by a research company affiliated with the Revolutionary Guard.

"The limpet mine that was used does bear a striking resemblance to that which has been publicly displayed in Iranian military parades," Kido said. "There are distinguishing features."

The 5th Fleet officials also said investigators had recovered fingerprints and a hand print from the Japanese tanker, and D'Agata said they made it clear more details could be released in the coming days.

The Navy officials said it was hard to pry one of the magnets used to adhere a limpet mine off of a ship's hull. D'Agata said it took a couple U.S. service members with a crowbar to pry just the single leftover magnet off the Kokuka. The Navy officials said six of the magnets -- each about the size of a softball -- would be used to hold a limpet mine in place on a vessel.

Thus far, German and British officials, along with Iran's arch-rival Saudi Arabia, have backed the U.S. in blaming Iran, or at least saying the evidence suggesting Iranian culpability is strong.
    A flat denial

Iran has consistently and completely denied any role in the attacks on tankers near the vital shipping channel of the Strait of Hormuz -- both the recent ones on the two ships in the Gulf of Oman and similar attacks on four tankers last month off the United Arab Emirates port of Fujairah.

"Accusations levelled against Iran's armed forces and the published film with regards to the incident (that) happened to the vessels ... are unsubstantiated and we categorically reject these accusations," Iran's semi-official IRNA news agency quoted Defence Minister Brigadier-General Amir Hatami as saying.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-ne...ay-2019-06-19/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (06-19-2019)