Thread: Be Patient

1. #196 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello good people,

I know that the permanent nature of my PIP can appear to be unforgiving. Often, people on my Ignore List try to engage me in conversation. I never relent. Sometimes I feel badly that I have to do that, but I remain convinced it is best. I am sure that some will carry on about me, claiming how unreasonable my PIP is. But that is exactly what makes it work so well. Having people comment about how I never give in on that - works in my favor, because it let's others who are not on my Ignore List know that I mean what I say.

This causes it to be entirely effective. Those intellectuals who might be tempted to tell me off also understand that when I decide to place a poster on Ignore, that poster NEVER gets another chance.

I do, of course, understand that it is possible for a poster to create a new account and get another chance to talk with me. And I am OK with that, for a couple of reasons. First, if they want to go to that much trouble for a fresh start, it means they really do want to be able to converse with me. Secondly, they understand that once they dis me, I will simply add their new name to the Ignore List and they are right back where they started. But if they use their second chance to really change, then my PIP has accomplished it's goal.

The result is I create a wonderfully civil posting experience here for myself. And I would like to think that it sets the tone for others to follow suit.

One thing is for sure. I find plenty of very polite political discussion despite my large Ignore List. Sometimes, people try to comment that they think my policy would lead to having nobody to talk to. That is incorrect. All it does is filter out the unwanted immature comments and leave the more intellectual issue-oriented posts. The board is of such a volume that even with a large Ignore List, I can never get 'caught up.' The comments flow at such a tremendous rate, that there is *always* stirring discussion in which to become immersed, even with the undesirable trash-talk filtered OUT.

Some comment that I would be missing a lot. That is true. But everyone here misses a lot. It is simply not possible to stay current with every thread, so why would I want to waste my valuable time reading drivel about other posters when I could filter that out and skip directly to more meaningful discussion? I get all I want, and what I get is of a higher quality. I am happy to 'miss a lot,' because a lot of what is posted here is drivel.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-19-2019)

3. #197 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Controlled Opposition,

There is no such thing.

Those who take pleasure in the misery of others partake in a shallow pleasure.
    You must be a lot of fun at parties.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

Truth Detector (06-19-2019)

5. #198 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    And you have mistaken me for someone who gives a damn what you think.

Don't care who "likes" my posts, don't run to mods about words on my screen, don't have any socks. Fact.

The feeling is mutual. You seem like a mealy-mouthed, ass kisser type who's always had a weird looking baby for an avatar. Maybe you can demand a diaper change from the mods next.
    Who are you and what have you done with Golden?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

6. #199 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    You must be a lot of fun at parties.
    No doubt.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

7. #200 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Hello good people,

I know that the permanent nature of my PIP can appear to be unforgiving. Often, people on my Ignore List try to engage me in conversation. I never relent. Sometimes I feel badly that I have to do that, but I remain convinced it is best. I am sure that some will carry on about me, claiming how unreasonable my PIP is. But that is exactly what makes it work so well. Having people comment about how I never give in on that - works in my favor, because it let's others who are not on my Ignore List know that I mean what I say.

This causes it to be entirely effective. Those intellectuals who might be tempted to tell me off also understand that when I decide to place a poster on Ignore, that poster NEVER gets another chance.

I do, of course, understand that it is possible for a poster to create a new account and get another chance to talk with me. And I am OK with that, for a couple of reasons. First, if they want to go to that much trouble for a fresh start, it means they really do want to be able to converse with me. Secondly, they understand that once they dis me, I will simply add their new name to the Ignore List and they are right back where they started. But if they use their second chance to really change, then my PIP has accomplished it's goal.

The result is I create a wonderfully civil posting experience here for myself. And I would like to think that it sets the tone for others to follow suit.

One thing is for sure. I find plenty of very polite political discussion despite my large Ignore List. Sometimes, people try to comment that they think my policy would lead to having nobody to talk to. That is incorrect. All it does is filter out the unwanted immature comments and leave the more intellectual issue-oriented posts. The board is of such a volume that even with a large Ignore List, I can never get 'caught up.' The comments flow at such a tremendous rate, that there is *always* stirring discussion in which to become immersed, even with the undesirable trash-talk filtered OUT.

Some comment that I would be missing a lot. That is true. But everyone here misses a lot. It is simply not possible to stay current with every thread, so why would I want to waste my valuable time reading drivel about other posters when I could filter that out and skip directly to more meaningful discussion? I get all I want, and what I get is of a higher quality. I am happy to 'miss a lot,' because a lot of what is posted here is drivel.
    Your daily display of inflexibility is to be pitied; you seem very old, passive-aggressive and set in your ways. A far cry from your charade of flexible diversity and "respect". Put simply, you are a fake. lol

Your assumption everyone is dying to engage such an inflexible and excessively verbose poster is laughable, at best.

I couldn't care less. Your mind is made of stone, afaic.

8. The Following User Groans At Life is Golden For This Awful Post:

Phantasmal (06-20-2019)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

anonymoose (06-19-2019), cancel2 2022 (06-19-2019), RB 60 (06-19-2019), Truth Detector (06-19-2019)

10. #201 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Who are you and what have you done with Golden?

Everyone has their limits.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

12. #202 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Your daily display of inflexibility is to be pitied; you seem very old, passive-aggressive and set in your ways. A far cry from your charade of flexible diversity and "respect". Put simply, you are a fake. lol

Your assumption everyone is dying to engage such an inflexible and excessively verbose poster is laughable, at best.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Life is Golden (06-19-2019), RB 60 (06-19-2019)

14. #203 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Everyone has their limits.
    So I see!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Life is Golden (06-19-2019)

16. #204 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So I see!

17. #205 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    I've been here for years. And I've seen your bans.
    No, you haven't.

18. #206 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    Does my photo look white to you?

19. #207 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello PoliTalker.
    I look at it as a public service, being a Good Neighbor, therapeutic. I don't want to single anyone out here, because it just seems ill-mannered and cruel, but since we're talking about Legina, let's use him as an example. Legina sits in his Mom's basement all day cruising the Internet and acting the Fool, crying out for attention. He pleads "Will someone PLEASE just come over and beat the shit out of me". When someone is that desperate for human interaction, most people, if they are good inside, proclaim to be a Christian, or just were brought up in a decent home, will, at a minimum, poke Legina in the eye, kick him in the balls, or just punch him in the face a few times. We're all Brothers and Sisters here on the Planet. Helping those in need isn't that difficult. Don't be mean-spirited and elitist, PoliTalker. Engage your fellow Man and give him what he wants.

Hello Jack,

Ideally, the respectful people would all ignore every disrespectful poster.

That would effectively create two boards.

The disrespectful posters would not be able to participate in any conversation among the respectful people, who would completely ignore them, and the disrespectful would only be able to talk among themselves ABOUT what the considerate people are saying. (usually calling them names, etc)

But the reality is that the division is not so clearly delimited.

There is a big gray area. Some people are able to control themselves when in civil discussions, but then also try to give the trolls a dose of their own medicine.

The urge to respond to trolls to tell them off is exactly what the trolls are hoping for.

All the trolls want to do is make provocative posts, so they get attention. It gives them an endorphin rush to know they can cause others to react to them. Sadly, it is a short lived high, like a sugar buzz. And similarly, it has a lousy after-taste. Leaves them feeling empty, wanting more. So that's what they do. It takes over their lives, becomes their life. It is used as a substitute for real life and real relationships. They get their social stimuli from chat boards, spending all their time online, because they often have no real life. It's sad. I feel sorry for them. But there is nothing we can do for them. It is a mistake to try to tell them like it is. In so doing, we slide down to their level. It's not healthy. People like that need counseling. It is a mental illness.

The best thing we can do is to place anyone like that on Ignore.

Well-adjusted mature people frequently have large Ignore Lists.

Because it is a waste of time and energy to respond to trolls.

And a political chat board is a magnet for attention-seeking trolls. Boards like this collect them.

Having a large Ignore List is only logical.

20. #208 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who do you think that sock was?
    someone lib'rul and incredibly stupid........in other words, too many possibilities.......

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

22. #209 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pretty obvious that he's an ageing hippy, whose ideas were formed around the time of Haight-Ashbury back in '69 and have never changed since. He's just a boring old fart!!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Life is Golden (06-19-2019), Truth Detector (06-19-2019)

24. #210 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Pretty obvious that he's an ageing hippy, whose ideas were formed around the time of Haight-Ashbury back in '69 and have never changed since. He's just a boring old fart!!
    He is a boorish lying twat.