Thread: The best part of the ignore feature

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,530 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toby2
    I don't mind having an ignore button. I was just pointing out that it is silly to use it. Why come to a discussion board and ignore a poster? If you don't won't to hear opposing views there are plenty of blogs to go to that you won't hear anything you don't like.
    Sometimes it is the actions and not the views that somebody wants to "ignore"... In fact, most times it is such.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe so Dam, but it is not all that hard to scroll on past that post is it? And well, how often is it that happens? If you note most who want an ignore feature want to exclude those who disagree with them. I don't mind those who ignore me, they can't make a logically arguement anyway. So I have lost nothing.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I find that most people who dont agree with Toby and call him names and such, also hate George Bush. Why, because even though they want to so badly, they just can't beat him, and in Toby's case they can't beat him verbally.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by toby2
    The ignore button is a way to censor what you read. You do it yourself so that is just fine if that is what you need to do. But make no mistake, it is censorship. But you elect to allow someone else to censor what you read. That is up to you.
    You are being an idiot in this case.

Censorship is preventing someone from having their say. It has nothing to do with choosing not to read or listen to the other. I am not censoring the KKK when I choose not to listen to their speeches or read their literature. I would be censoring them if I got an injunction against them preventing them from speaking or distributing literature.

It would be censorship if I prevented you from posting your viewpoints. It is not censorship if I choose not to read anything you post by simply using a feature that allows me to skip everything you have written.

Immie
    Last edited by Immanuel; 07-27-2006 at 03:11 PM.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Toby is stupid do not waste your time.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel
    You are being an idiot in this case.

Censorship is preventing someone from having their say. It has nothing to do with choosing not to read or listen to the other. I am not censoring the KKK when I choose not to listen to their speeches or read their literature. I would be censoring them if I got an injunction against them preventing them from speaking or distributing literature.

It would be censorship if I prevented you from posting your viewpoints. It is not censorship if I choose not to read anything you post by simply using a feature that allows me to skip everything you have written.

Immie
    It is not censorship if I choose not to read anything you post by simply using a feature that allows me to skip everything you have written.

I highly recommend you put toby on your ignore list. Do you realize, you just spent the last hour going round and round with him, about nothing? Toby's a waste of time.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    It is not censorship if I choose not to read anything you post by simply using a feature that allows me to skip everything you have written.

I highly recommend you put toby on your ignore list. Do you realize, you just spent the last hour going round and round with him, about nothing? Toby's a waste of time.
    I have been tempted at times but he's not one of the ones that I would consider iggy material. I can scroll through all of his posts and not miss anything important. I also don't see the N*gger posts scrolling through his messages. Those are the ones that bother me the most. Those are the trolls that I feel are iggy material.

And I have not spent the last hour going round and round with him. Just bits and pieces of it. I was not waiting with baited breath for him to post so I could post a reply.

Immie

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why do I always feel like Im defending Toby? He is absolutely right... if you dont want to read someones posts.. just scroll by.. what is so hard about that? There a couple of people whom I consider trolls that most others wouldnt ... they add absolutely ziltch .., they dont have the ability to form more than 2 or 3 sentences ... yet some people regard them as heroes! As much as they annoy me.. I wouldnt use the ignore button.
    ""Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington "

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by klaatu
    Why do I always feel like Im defending Toby? He is absolutely right... if you dont want to read someones posts.. just scroll by.. what is so hard about that? There a couple of people whom I consider trolls that most others wouldnt ... they add absolutely ziltch .., they dont have the ability to form more than 2 or 3 sentences ... yet some people regard them as heroes! As much as they annoy me.. I wouldnt use the ignore button.
    Well, about the only people I have considered ignoring are people like Skinhead, Josef and Pimptdaddy. There is just nothing of value that comes out of them. I would sooner have a short box to scroll though then 287 lines of the N-word posted over and over again.

Oh an possibly because you ARE always defending Toby.

Immie

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Name names Klaatu.

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGovernment
    Name names Klaatu.
    Why would you want me to do that? Do you want me to provide a link too?
    ""Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington "

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by klaatu
    Why would you want me to do that? Do you want me to provide a link too?
    Absolutely! If the shelling has to begin we want it to be as well targeted as possible.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise
    Absolutely! If the shelling has to begin we want it to be as well targeted as possible.

C'mon Ornot.. they know who they are.. and you are too damn smart not to figure out who Im talking about.....

Lets put it this way ...

I could never figure out how one earns a law degree or a Masters in say Economics or Business.... while lacking basic grammar skills. Unless of course you get the certificate from the back pages of Popular Mechanic. There are others ...

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sounds like Alex.

Also I know Klaatu doesn't like AC.

Thats all I got. I get the impression their are more though.

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGovernment
    Sounds like Alex.

Also I know Klaatu doesn't like AC.

Thats all I got. I get the impression their are more though.
    No .. I dont regard A/C as a troll.. not at all.... I just think the guy has serious personal issues ....