Members banned from this thread: RockX

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The best part of the ignore feature

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toby2
    That's funny Immie, if you ignore the rude people you would ignore Desh, Maineman, CK, US, Alex, and well, just about every liberal poster. LOL
    What part of this didn't you understand?

"But if someone is being a prick and being nasty or rude to others all the time,"

We are all rude at times even me. I don't mind the rudeness in the heat of a debate. However, I don't appreciate the disgusting displays of people like Skinhead or Josef. I don't find them funny in the least.

Immie

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Okay, I just think an ignore button is unnecessary. If I don't like a post then I just scroll on past it. I don't need for the site to do that for me. I like to make my own discisions. If that is to hard for you then use the ignore button.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Okay, I just think an ignore button is unnecessary. If I don't like a post then I just scroll on past it. I don't need for the site to do that for me. I like to make my own discisions. If that is to hard for you then use the ignore button.
    Oh I will, believe me I will.

Immie

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

An igmore fuction is a way to censor speech, and well, I don't think speech should be censored in most cases. But hey, if you need what you read to be censored, then by all means use that function.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If someone doesn't censor your reading you could read something disturbing or rude! LOL

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

An igmore fuction is a way to censor speech, and well, I don't think speech should be censored in most cases. But hey, if you need what you read to be censored, then by all means use that function.
    You need to learn what censoring means.

I'm not censoring anyone. Any troll has the right to post whatever he/she wants. The ignore feature simply makes it easier for me to scroll through it.

That comment of yours is about as stupid as Brent's comment about Nelson Mandela. I didn't think you were so stupid.

Immie

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Using an ignore feature is no different, really, than choosing not to watch certain channels on your TV.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The ignore button is a way to censor what you read. You do it yourself so that is just fine if that is what you need to do. But make no mistake, it is censorship. But you elect to allow someone else to censor what you read. That is up to you.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

The ignore button is a way to censor what you read. You do it yourself so that is just fine if that is what you need to do. But make no mistake, it is censorship. But you elect to allow someone else to censor what you read. That is up to you.
    It really is no different than avoiding somebody at a party. Sometimes you get to hear some of their conversation anyway because of proximity... such as when somebody here quotes them... It's just a way to give you to walk away.

However nobody is censored everybody else who is not avoiding them are able to have as much conversation as they wish. If I were censoring you... I would simply kick you out of my party.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not hardly Ornot. if you want the news you go to CNN, if you want TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL you go somewhere else. A discussion board is for discussion, you want a cluster fuck, try the DailyKos.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You missed the point Dam, why come to a discussion board and not have a discussion?

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Dam I didn't mean to indicate that you made the decision to ignore or not. It has nothing to do with you.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

You missed the point Dam, why come to a discussion board and not have a discussion?
    No, you missed the point. You go to the party because of the people you aren't avoiding. It isn't like somebody has come on here and ignored the whole lot. It isn't happening. Both you and I won't use the feature. In fact most won't (I've already seen that on other sites). Those who do are simply avoiding somebody at the party. Not that big of a deal.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not hardly Ornot. if you want the news you go to CNN, if you want TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL you go somewhere else. A discussion board is for discussion, you want a cluster fuck, try the DailyKos.
    Blah, blah, blah. You're just annoyed because some people ignore you. There's absolutely no difference at all between putting someone on IA and simply scrolling past their posts.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't mind having an ignore button. I was just pointing out that it is silly to use it. Why come to a discussion board and ignore a poster? If you don't won't to hear opposing views there are plenty of blogs to go to that you won't hear anything you don't like.