Members banned from this thread: tinfoil, Blackwater Lunchbreak, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Wolverine, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Evmetro, Superfreak, CharacterAssassin, RB 60, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, Joe Capitalist, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, Enlightened One, Anarchon, artichoke, Bobb, Earl, lisasanders1964 and Vasquezrocks

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I Pledge To Vote For Whomever The Dem Nominee Is Just To Get Rid Of President Trump..

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I prefer to vote for who I want/like, regardless of their odds of winning.

I live in Calif, anyone popular enough to win the dem nom should beat him here..
    It's interesting, NPR did a piece on this the other day about how many people in primaries don't necessarily vote for who they support but instead for the person they think has the best chance of winning the general. Part of the piece was how this (supposedly) hurts women candidates.

I get it, when you don't like the person in office you'll take basically anyone as a replacement. But that isn't necessarily the best mindset to have when trying to choose to a candidate to represent your values.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Bill (06-22-2019)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It's interesting, NPR did a piece on this the other day about how many people in primaries don't necessarily vote for who they support but instead for the person they think has the best chance of winning the general. Part of the piece was how this (supposedly) hurts women candidates.

I get it, when you don't like the person in office you'll take basically anyone as a replacement. But that isn't necessarily the best mindset to have when trying to choose to a candidate to represent your values.
    I have seen it more times than I can count...

We have about 325 million ppl & only two choices, winner take all & IMHO that is nuts...

Many times ppl will not even consider listening to someone they don't think can win the party nomination, & the two party monopoly likes it that way, "if you're not voting for us, don't bother to vote"......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 38 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    I'm still getting to know the Dem candidates.

Still learning about them.

There are so many.

I have some favorites.

Bernie, Marianne Williamson, Warren, Kamala Harris

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

I know there is a big chance I'll be voting for Biden in the end.

Not my first choice. Even though he does talk a good game.

(I think he's too integral to the old politics of big money)

But no way I am missing the chance to VOTE AGAINST TRUMP.

I don't care who the nominee ends up being, I am SO voting for that person.

And I hope I am not alone.

I don't care if I have to hold my nose just like 2016, I am already determined and committed to

VOTE AGAINST TRUMP
    I think Hillary should be the nominee again, Because it worked out so well the last time.

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 38 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I'd vote for old sushi, over Trump.
    I don't think that old sushi is going to run again.

She learned that she is no match against Trump.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

You are much more optimistic than I, my friend........
    I consider it to be realistic.

The whole reason Republicans have so many legislatures and so much control is due largely to gerrymandering. That was a specific strategy and effort on their part, and it worked out very well for them. Democrats are just beginning to wake up and try to level that skewed situation.

Part of the gains in 2018 are due to the efforts of the

National Democratic Redistricting Committee
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by My Parents Are Proud View Post
    I think Hillary should be the nominee again, Because it worked out so well the last time.
    She beat him by about 3 million votes. Trump very narrowly won the rust belt and polling shows he they learned their lessons. She could beat him now, but is not running. Trump is the accidental president.

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

I consider it to be realistic.

The whole reason Republicans have so many legislatures and so much control is due largely to gerrymandering. That was a specific strategy and effort on their part, and it worked out very well for them. Democrats are just beginning to wake up and try to level that skewed situation.

Part of the gains in 2018 are due to the efforts of the

National Democratic Redistricting Committee
    Chicken or the egg came first??

In order to gerrymander you have to be the party in power, in order to be the party in power you must win the election!!!!!!! Did I miss something??
    Last edited by Bill; 06-24-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

In order to gerrymander you have to be the party in power, in order to be the party in power you much win the election!!!!!!! Did I miss something??
    You make it sound hopeless. It is not hopeless. Gains have been made. More gains will be made. No, it won't be easy. Little worth while ever is. It can be done.

One of the ways it can get turned around is to get the legalized corruption out of politics. Get the big money out of politics and the results will more proportionally represent the will of the people. Right now that doesn't happen. If you want to know how to get the big money out of politics the process is very easy to understand. The reason people overlook it is because it takes so long. But just because there is no instant gratification does not mean something cannot be accomplished.

The long term method to get the big money out of politics, which is appealing to conservatives AND liberals.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

In order to gerrymander you have to be the party in power, in order to be the party in power you must win the election!!!!!!! Did I miss something??
    You missed it all. Gerrymandering has happened occasionally in states before. Now,the Repubs weaponized it. They ran hard in the 2010 election at state levels with Gerrymandering as their goal. Then they used it like nobody ever did before. They were ruthless and used some guys who perfected district drawing to go national. Every state with a Republican house redrew the districts with ruthless precision. The Dems are trying to get fair districts drawn, even in states they control. Some states passed referendums forcing fair districts.

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    You missed it all. Gerrymandering has happened occasionally in states before. Now,the Repubs weaponized it. They ran hard in the 2010 election at state levels with Gerrymandering as their goal. Then they used it like nobody ever did before. They were ruthless and used some guys who perfected district drawing to go national. Every state with a Republican house redrew the districts with ruthless precision. The Dems are trying to get fair districts drawn, even in states they control. Some states passed referendums forcing fair districts.
    Ruthless=good @ it. I assume then the Dems are getting folks that are good @ it as well??

Here in Calif they can't do that.. & the super majority here is Dem, they could almost totally cut the gop out of what little they have now if not for the new system.. But even so, many districts look like inkblots, lol

The Dems did well in the mid-terms, who do you want to see get the nom?? If I may ask??

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Gonzomin,

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    It has gone to several State Supreme Courts. Many have ordered districts redrawn in efforts to fix the Republican mess. It has been noted that without the heavily favored Republican-drawn districts, the Blue Wave of 2018 would have been far greater.

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Ruthless=good @ it. I assume then the Dems are getting folks that are good @ it as well??
    No, actually the goal of Dems is to draw fair districts, not try to use the same dirty tricks as the Republicans. NDRC knows they do not need a gerrymandered advantage to beat Republicans, who would have far less control without cheating.

Here in Calif they can't do that.. & the super majority here is Dem, they could almost totally cut the gop out of what little they have now if not for the new system.. But even so, many districts look like inkblots, lol

The Dems did well in the mid-terms, who do you want to see get the nom?? If I may ask??
    Dems would have done better with fair districts.

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

No, actually the goal of Dems is to draw fair districts, not try to use the same dirty tricks as the Republicans. NDRC knows they do not need a gerrymandered advantage to beat Republicans, who would have far less control without cheating.

Dems would have done better with fair districts.
    IMHO NEITHER OF THEM SHOULD BE DRAWING "FAIR" DISTRICTS FOR THEMSELVES..period!!!!!

They need to adopt a system that is out of the direct hands of the crooks, I mean politicians, something similar/akin to the districting in Calif..

Something like this:The California Citizens Redistricting Commission is the redistricting commission for the State of California responsible for determining the boundaries of districts for the State Senate, State Assembly, and Board of Equalization. The Commission was created in 2010 and consists of 14 members: five Democrats, five Republicans, and four from neither major party. The Commission was created following the passage in November 2008 of California Proposition 11, the Voters First Act.[1] The commissioners were selected in November and December 2010 and were required to complete the new maps by August 15, 2011.[2]

Following the 2010 passage of California Proposition 20, the Voters First Act for Congress, the Commission was also assigned the responsibility of redrawing the state's U.S. congressional district boundaries following the congressional apportionment arising from the 2010 United States Census.

Also note: Repub have 5, same as Dems eventhough there are a lot more Dems..

THERE ARE ACTUALLY FEWER REPUBLICANS THAN UNAFFILIATED:
    Just under 44 percent of registered voters were Democrats, 27 percent were unaffiliated and 25 percent were Republicans.

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

IMHO NEITHER OF THEM SHOULD BE DRAWING "FAIR" DISTRICTS FOR THEMSELVES..period!!!!!

They need to adopt a system that is out of the direct hands of the crooks, I mean politicians, something similar/akin to the districting in Calif..

Something like this:The California Citizens Redistricting Commission is the redistricting commission for the State of California responsible for determining the boundaries of districts for the State Senate, State Assembly, and Board of Equalization. The Commission was created in 2010 and consists of 14 members: five Democrats, five Republicans, and four from neither major party. The Commission was created following the passage in November 2008 of California Proposition 11, the Voters First Act.[1] The commissioners were selected in November and December 2010 and were required to complete the new maps by August 15, 2011.[2]

Following the 2010 passage of California Proposition 20, the Voters First Act for Congress, the Commission was also assigned the responsibility of redrawing the state's U.S. congressional district boundaries following the congressional apportionment arising from the 2010 United States Census.

Also note: Repub have 5, same as Dems eventhough there are a lot more Dems..

THERE ARE ACTUALLY FEWER REPUBLICANS THAN UNAFFILIATED:
    Just under 44 percent of registered voters were Democrats, 27 percent were unaffiliated and 25 percent were Republicans.
    To your point if we want "fairness" it must be taken out of the hand of elected politicians. Political parties exist to win and maintain power. No matter what 'enlightened' rhetoric they use power is the reason for their existence. And neither party is going to draw "fair" boundaries.

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    To your point if we want "fairness" it must be taken out of the hand of elected politicians. Political parties exist to win and maintain power. No matter what 'enlightened' rhetoric they use power is the reason for their existence. And neither party is going to draw "fair" boundaries.
    Of course that would be better, but this is better than what most states have...