Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BLS: Trump Recession looms, Americans less prepared than before Bush Rcession

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loving91390 View Post
    Pick Bernie and the economy crashes .....
    The economy is already crashing.

Atlanta Fed predicts just 1.5% GDP growth this quarter.

Worst jobs report in 10 years.

Market has grown less than 3% since the start of the Russia Tax Cut.

None of the manufacturing jobs that Trump "brought back" are in the same industries that lost them, nor are they being created in the same places; in fact, a YUGE chunk of the "manufacturing jobs" are not in durable goods, but craft beer and wine.

In the Race for Manufacturing Jobs, the Midwest Isn't Winning
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/b...ring-jobs.html
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    The economy is already crashing.
    ok Dorothy, could you say hello to he tin man for me
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Empire State manufacturing index posts largest-ever drop into negative territory

The numbers: The New York Fed’s Empire State business conditions index took a sharp turn for the worse in June, falling into negative territory for the first time in more than two years.

The Empire State manufacturing index plummeted 26.4 points to negative 8.6 in June, the New York Fed said Monday. That’s a record decline. Economists had expected a reading of positive 10, according to a survey by Econoday.

Any reading below zero indicates a contraction in activity. The last time the index was negative was in October 2016.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/em...une-2019-06-17

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

One oft-cited statistic points to just how unstable the finances of most Americans are: nearly 40 percent of households could not withstand an unexpected expenditure of $400 — the cost of just one medical bill or car repair.
    nothing new here..although savings rate did tic up a bit

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    nothing new? largest drop ever?

got it

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

After dropping like a rock following every single tax cut in the last 40 years.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Still, there are some signs of hope for the counties that the group rates as the most economically distressed quintile. Collectively, they lost factory jobs throughout the Obama administration, but they added more than 20,000 during Mr. Trump’s first two years, with the biggest gains in the Southeast, including Tennessee, the Carolinas, Arkansas and Georgia.
    Obama lost 200k manufacturing jobs and claimed they were not coming back without a "magic wand"

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    After dropping like a rock following every single tax cut in the last 40 years.
    don't even talk to me with your voodoo economics.. you need to cite and make a case before I begin to take you seriously.
    But Americans just don't save much anymore other then forced retirement etc.

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obama lost 200k manufacturing jobs and claimed they were not coming back without a "magic wand"
    Let's talk about those "manufacturing jobs" Trump supposedly "brought back"...

1. None of them are in the industries that lost the manufacturing jobs.

2. None of them are even in the same states and municipalities that lost them.

3. A significant part of those manufacturing jobs don't actually produce durable goods! A massive part of the growth of "manufacturing" is thanks solely to marijuana, craft beer, and wine.

4. The "manufacturing jobs" Trump has "created" on average pay the same or less than the jobs that were lost.

In the Race for Factory Jobs Under Drumpf, the Midwest Isn’t Winning
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/b...ring-jobs.html

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

don't even talk to me with your voodoo economics
    You stupidly thought for 40 years that if we cut taxes for the rich and their pet corporations, that it would trickle down prosperity on the rest of us.

You, personally, were saying in December 2017 that if we passed the Russia Tax Cut, wages would grow by $4,000-$9,000.

Your strategy seems to be to initially support bad policy, then project that onto others in an act of bad faith.

What a fraud.

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But Americans just don't save much anymore other then forced retirement etc.
    They don't save much because their wages aren't growing. They have to spend more on health care and education, which means they save less, borrow more, and spend less on consumer products.

Every solution to this problem is one you oppose on principle.

You're just a hack.

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

don't even talk to me with your voodoo economics
    It's your voodoo economics.

You're the ones who said that if we cut taxes, everyone would see wage increases.

Except that the exact opposite occurred, and after taxes were cut, personal savings decline and household debt rises.

That because you're deliberately creating deficits that are closed with cuts to things like education and health care spending, which forces more out-of-pocket spending and less savings.

Nearly every problem we have today is because of bad policies you supported over the years.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello reagansghost,

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    President Trump was lucky enough to inherit an economy that saw a record string of months with positive job growth and falling unemployment rates.

But the recent jobs report hinted that this rosy period may be coming to an end.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that May saw a slowdown in net new additions to payroll and made downward revisions to earlier numbers released for March and April — clear signs that job growth has slowed. Unemployed workers are finding it increasingly difficult to land new jobs, with the share of unemployed workers on the hunt for more than six months rising. Unemployed women are more likely to drop out of looking for jobs than land a job in the following month.

What if this all signals more than just a one-off drop in job creation? What if, instead, we’re heading towards a downturn in the labor market?

The US economy is more fragile than it has been at this point in any previous economic expansion. Though this expansion only needs one more month to be the longest in U.S. economic history, a record number of households are more than 90 days late on their car loan payments. The sale of existing homes continues to fall to new lows, reflecting the difficulty for younger workers to form new households and transition from renters to homeowners. Their low earnings, low savings and high student debt compared to earlier generations all factor in here.

One oft-cited statistic points to just how unstable the finances of most Americans are: nearly 40 percent of households could not withstand an unexpected expenditure of $400 — the cost of just one medical bill or car repair.

The most unnerving point to keep in mind is that we are even less prepared for a sudden slowing of the economy than we were before the Great Recession of 2008.
    That crisis taught us a key lesson: how important “automatic stabilizers” are to the economy. Those stabilizers, like unemployment insurance, pump money into households when the economy loses jobs and provides a floor to falling incomes and the subsequent decline in marketplace demand.

These are “automatic” because they do not require new legislation; when more people are eligible, the increase in expenditures happens automatically. In a Congress where Republicans voted against all economic proposals of President Obama during the recovery from the Great Recession, avoiding partisan gridlock is critical. Yet the unemployment insurance system is far weaker today than it was in 2008.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/05/job-...-just-27k.html

....opps, there goes Donny's only remaining talking point!
    The downside to 'automatic stabilizers' is that when demand for their services is high, such as during a recession, it is the government which picks up the tab. Since the government already spends more than it collects in revenue (thanks to reduced taxes on the rich) all of the increased spending goes directly onto the federal debt. That would be the same federal debt that is already climbing out of control with a trillion dollar deficit. That means we tack on a trillion dollars to the debt every year it remains out of control. Thanks go to Republicans for voting in tax cuts for the rich, who used to pay most of the taxes.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Funny how every time we have a Republican president, we get a recession. Coincidences, am I right?

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Bush recession was a doozy.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.