Members banned from this thread: evince, CFM and reagansghost

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NY Times Opinion Column: "America’s Cities Are Unlivable. Blame Wealthy Liberals"

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Thought so, "right after you prove," how come I'm not surprised

Next
    So you still can't back up your claim but continue to cry and lie. I can't say I am surprised. Nothing dumber than a liberal claiming Republicans can't get elected.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Once again, crying and lying are not coherent arguments snowflake.
    ]
    You are done "truthie," when a poster can't validate what he offers he is finished, this ain't talk radio, just saying it doesn't make it valid

(definitely time for the corny copy and paste plus the personal crapola)

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

For starters, the NYT has an array of conservative contributors, some quite renowned as Willis, Brooks, and until his death, Krauthammer

A large part of the issue the author doesn't stress is just the pure success of capitalism, the problems that burden the cities are partially the product of income inequality, the sucess of a few among the stagnation of many. It is not a new problem, but rather more exaggerated now with the further division between peoples' resources.

And historically, those people elected those Democrat Administrations because they saw their solutions and achievements as better than anything the opposition was offering

The author is correct, America 's cities define the US, and the majority of Americans live in cities, but the political system is based upon geography and not people
    Ok, except you’re not addressing the policy issue of what the author is discussing. He’s talking about SB 50 in California as well what cities are not doing to allow development and exacerbating the income divide based on affordability.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Sailor (06-17-2019), Truth Detector (06-17-2019)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are done "truthie," when a poster can't validate what he offers he is finished, this ain't talk radio, just saying it doesn't make it valid
    Still can't back up your bullshit I see.

(definitely time for the corny copy and paste plus the personal crapola)
    Still crying and lying I see.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Ok, except you’re not addressing the policy issue of what the author is discussing. He’s talking about SB 50 in California as well what cities are not doing to allow development and exacerbating the income divide based on affordability.
    Arsecheese prefers to derail threads with off topic bullshit. You should be used to that by now.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Arsecheese prefers to derail threads with off topic bullshit. You should be used to that by now.
    He never did that as much as now. Disappointing really.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    He never did that as much as now. Disappointing really.
    Predictable actually.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Sailor (06-17-2019)

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

every big city $hithole is run by liberals,
    all you need to know to keep them out of power
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Provocative title, especially for something in the New York Times, but the author is pretty spot on in what he writes. Folks are talking about Bernie's new Bill of Rights which says housing is a right but as stated here people may support that in theory but they don't want that housing built near them. Having lived in urban areas for the past 35+ years I can agree with the author of all the good that are in our cities. But he nails the issues.

America’s Cities Are Unlivable. Blame Wealthy Liberals.

The demise of a California housing measure shows how progressives abandon progressive values in their own backyards.

By Farhad Manjoo

To live in California at this time is to experience every day the cryptic phrase that George W. Bush once used to describe the invasion of Iraq: “Catastrophic success.” The economy here is booming, but no one feels especially good about it. When the cost of living is taken into account, billionaire-brimming California ranks as the most poverty-stricken state, with a fifth of the population struggling to get by. Since 2010, migration out of California has surged.

The basic problem is the steady collapse of livability. Across my home state, traffic and transportation is a developing-world nightmare. Child care and education seem impossible for all but the wealthiest. The problems of affordable housing and homelessness have surpassed all superlatives — what was a crisis is now an emergency that feels like a dystopian showcase of American inequality.

Just look at San Francisco, Nancy Pelosi’s city. One of every 11,600 residents is a billionaire, and the annual household income necessary to buy a median-priced home now tops $320,000. Yet the streets there are a plague of garbage and needles and feces, and every morning brings fresh horror stories from a “Black Mirror” hellscape: Homeless veterans are surviving on an economy of trash from billionaires’ mansions. Wealthy homeowners are crowdfunding a legal effort arguing that a proposed homeless shelter is an environmental hazard. A public-school teacher suffering from cancer is forced to pay for her own substitute.

And there is no end in sight to such crushing success. At every level of government, our representatives, nearly all of them Democrats, prove inadequate and unresponsive to the challenges at hand. Witness last week’s embarrassment, when California lawmakers used a sketchy parliamentary maneuver to knife Senate Bill 50, an ambitious effort to undo restrictive local zoning rules and increase the supply of housing.

It was another chapter in a dismal saga of Nimbyist urban mismanagement that is crushing American cities. Not-in-my-backyardism is a bipartisan sentiment, but because the largest American cities are populated and run by Democrats — many in states under complete Democratic control — this sort of nakedly exclusionary urban restrictionism is a particular shame of the left.

There are many threads in the story of America’s increasingly unlivable cities. One continuing tragedy is the decimation of local media and the rise of nationalized politics in its place. In America the “local” problems plaguing cities are systematically sidelined by the structure of the national media and government, in which the presidency, the Senate and the Supreme Court are all constitutionally tilted in favor of places where no one lives. (There are more than twice as many people in my midsize suburban county, Santa Clara, as there are in the entire state of North Dakota, with its two United States senators.)

That’s why, aside from Elizabeth Warren — who has a plan for housing, as she has a plan for everything — Democrats on the 2020 presidential trail rarely mention their ideas for housing affordability, an issue eating American cities alive. I watched Joe Biden’s campaign kick off the other day; the only house he mentioned was the White House.

Then there is the refusal on the part of wealthy progressives to live by the values they profess to support at the national level. Creating dense, economically and socially diverse urban environments ought to be a paramount goal of progressivism. Cities are the standard geographical unit of the global economy. Dense urban areas are quite literally the “real America” — the cities are where two-thirds of Americans live, and they account for almost all national economic output. Urban areas are the most environmentally friendly way we know of housing lots of people. We can’t solve the climate crisis without vastly improving public transportation and increasing urban density. More than that, metropolises are good for the psyche and the soul; density fosters tolerance, diversity, creativity and progress.

Yet where progressives argue for openness and inclusion as a cudgel against President Trump, they abandon it on Nob Hill and in Beverly Hills. This explains the opposition to SB 50, which aimed to address the housing shortage in a very straightforward way: by building more housing. The bill would have erased single-family zoning in populous areas near transit locations. Areas zoned for homes housing a handful of people could have been redeveloped to include duplexes and apartment buildings that housed hundreds.

The bill had garnered support from a diverse coalition of business and advocacy groups, and its sponsor, State Senator Scott Wiener, had negotiated a series of compromises with some of its fiercest opponents. Polls showed the measure to be widely popular. For the first time, something extraordinary looked possible: California’s wealthy homeowners would abandon their restrictionist attitudes and let us build some new housing.

Nope. Instead, Anthony Portantino, a Democratic state senator whose district includes the posh city of La Cañada Flintridge and who heads the appropriations committee, announced that he’d be shelving the bill until next year. In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, he worried that the law would spur lots of people to move near residential bus routes, which he suggested would alter the character of enclaves like his.

And? Why is that so bad?

Reading opposition to SB 50 and other efforts at increasing density, I’m struck by an unsettling thought: What Republicans want to do with I.C.E. and border walls, wealthy progressive Democrats are doing with zoning and Nimbyism. Preserving “local character,” maintaining “local control,” keeping housing scarce and inaccessible — the goals of both sides are really the same: to keep people out.

“We’re saying we welcome immigration, we welcome refugees, we welcome outsiders — but you’ve got to have a $2 million entrance fee to live here, otherwise you can use this part of a sidewalk for a tent,” said Brian Hanlon, president of the pro-density group California Yimby. “That to me is not being very welcoming. It’s not being very neighborly.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/o...ing-nimby.html
    I think the author does identity a lot of hypocrisy but he paints with two broad a brush. Most of the cities he points out have limited geography, high demand and the only practical means of developing inexpensive housing is vertically.

For example, none of this applies in the four major metro areas of Ohio, Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Dayton. Three of which are strongly Democratic. Why? Because we have lots of available land to grow horizontally. The median cost for a home in Columbus is $135,000. This is true of most urban areas which have lots of available land.

The reverse is true in Republican dominated cities like Houston which has limited available land to expand horizontally. Home ownership cost have skyrocketed. So certainly nimbyism plays a critical role but so does geography. My point being that nimbyism is non-partisan.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (06-17-2019)

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I think the author does identity a lot of hypocrisy but he paints with two broad a brush. Most of the cities he points out have limited geography, high demand and the only practical means of developing inexpensive housing is vertically.

For example, none of this applies in the four major metro areas of Ohio, Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Dayton. Three of which are strongly Democratic. Why? Because we have lots of available land to grow horizontally. The median cost for a home in Columbus is $135,000. This is true of most urban areas which have lots of available land.

The reverse is true in Republican dominated cities like Houston which has limited available land to expand horizontally. Home ownership cost have skyrocketed. So certainly nimbyism plays a critical role but so does geography. My point being that nimbyism is non-partisan.
    Admittedly I've never been been to Houston but just looking up their current and past Mayors they have all been Democrats since 1982. So maybe their City Counsel is Republican dominated? (though I would find that difficult to believe if they can't elect a Republican Mayor)

I've read nothing that suggests Houston's housing is expensive. Maybe I'm only comparing it to where I live though.

The author though is pointing out the housing issues of the large (coastal) cities where so many of the jobs are. Nothing against the G.O.A.T. but Columbus, Cinci, Ohio and Dayton aren't the job hubs SF & the Silicon Valley, LA, Seattle etc. are.

Living where I have for so long and working in the real estate industry and I've followed this topic for decades. You take a desirable area to live, good weather and great job opportunities, and then create huge barriers to building new housing and you end up with what we have currently.

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

The opinion piece is thought-provoking, but the idea that more densely packed urban areas is a good idea seems dubious at best. Times have changed. That large cities are becoming less viable seems obvious.

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post

I guess I derailing my own thread here but your comment that home prices have skyrocketed in Houston intrigued me. If this site is to be believed the medium single family home price in Houston is $238K. I had to spit out my drink how cheap that is, even if values have increased.

That's not even apples to oranges in terms of what the author is talking about in terms of cost and the lack of development in major coastal cities.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...ing-in-houston

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

cawacky thinks quoting someone from an opinion piece that he "thinks" is left wing proves his point about the housing crises.

I can't stop laughing.

I'm surprised he didn't ban me from his thread.

He knows I live in CA and will call him out on his BS everytime and this is no different.

I call BS on the author and his opinion.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

LV426 (06-17-2019)

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

That policy has jack shit to do with home prices in CA.

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Ever been to the Bay Area? Impossible.
    Of course in my city the muni workers belong to public unions so they can afford to live in mansions and retire at about 50.
    I get that. I'm just saying there are many TOWNS and CITIES that have unaffordable real estate, to buy or rent, inside city limits and in its core but not too far out, there is AFFORDABLE living.

I went to SAN FRAN in about 82 on business. Went back to my coworkers apartment who was working on a project with me. 2 bedrooms, with a roommate. Small but impeccable and you could SAN FRAN bay. It was $1500 back then!
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same