Thread: Bernie Sanders calls for “21st Century Bill of Rights”

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    I am happy that you "feel good". Nobody should go through life feeling bad and you leftists have been feeling bad for a long time. I know you think you are being cute and have trapped me in a corner with this typical left wing false choice. Because I won't agree with you, you like all leftists will assume that I don't think children should be educated.

Of course they should be educated. But, it should be the responsibility of the parents to CHOOSE where to send their kids to school. The free market would provide. And for those who couldn't afford it (because I know that will be your next fall back), there would be charities and private scholarships that would fill the void much like we do for College.

You leftists always turn to government presumably because you think it makes you feel safe? Despite all of their failures you continue to turn to them. Our educational system is nothing more than a propaganda arm for the left wing which I assume is why you are so enamored with it. Stalin and Hitler were big fans of public education too. Just sayin
    Don: "you like all leftists will assume that I don't think children should be educated."
    Jack: I just want us both to start at the same point. We both think children should be educated, that's where we start.

Don: "The free market would provide."
    Jack: I disagree. If each Family had to pay for the schooling of their children, many would end up uneducated. I support a 'universal' education system.

Don: "You leftists always turn to government presumably because you think it makes you feel safe?"
    Jack: If we as a Society want to educate every child, we need to have Buildings for the education that don't have 'Shareholders' looking for a Profit on them.

Don: "Our educational system is nothing more than a propaganda arm for the left wing which I assume is why you are so enamored with it. Stalin and Hitler were big fans of public education too. Just sayin"
    Jack; Yes. Of course Don. Always check under your bed before going to sleep at night. You just never know nowadays.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh the old "roads" argument. I have no problem with taxes going to pay for roads. That could be achieved with excise taxes and tariffs much like the country was funded until 1916.

Of course, now you think you have the ultimate "gotcha" because according to you leftists, if we agree to "public" roads, it only stands to reason that I should support "socialized" medicine and a living wage and free college because you will twist yourself in knots trying to explain to me how I will benefit from all of this "communal" effort.

The thing is it has no material effect on me if you have medical insurance and die of a heart attack absent the federal government demanding that no ER can turn you away thus cost shifting your burden. If you were truly financially responsible for your own care then you would either get insurance or die. Neither is of consequence to me.

Now this is where you move on to the police and fire departments because you know if the gobblement didn't step in, we would have private police forces and private fire companies. More false choices by another left wing false wizard.

PS

I have seen all of these bullshit arguments before. You are not the first. I have swatted them down in the past and I will continue to do so. Next time try not to argue using false choices. You might fare better
    Don: "I have no problem with taxes going to pay for roads"
    Jack; OK. Good. We have a starting point. We both agree that a Toll Booth every 15 miles is great for the Shareholder, but terrible for the average Commuter.

Don: "Of course, now you think you have the ultimate "gotcha" because according to you leftists, if we agree to "public" roads, it only stands to reason that I should support "socialized" medicine and a living wage and free college because you will twist yourself in knots trying to explain to me how I will benefit from all of this "communal" effort."
    Jack; Calm down, Don. You jump from a social need of 'public roads' to why you are against the nationalization of the Energy Sector. Try not to go ballistic here.

Don: "The thing is it has no material effect on me if you have medical insurance and die of a heart attack absent the federal government demanding that no ER can turn you away thus cost shifting your burden. If you were truly financially responsible for your own care then you would either get insurance or die. Neither is of consequence to me."
    Jack: Thank you for your confession that you care not for your Brother Human Being.

Don: "Now this is where you move on to the police and fire departments because you know if the gobblement didn't step in, we would have private police forces and private fire companies. More false choices by another left wing false wizard."
    Jack: No. Actually I was going to bring up 'Central Planning' and the building of the Hoover Dam and/or the Panama Canal.

Don: "I have seen all of these bullshit arguments before. You are not the first. I have swatted them down in the past and I will continue to do so. Next time try not to argue using false choices. You might fare better"
    Jack: That's swell, Don. I was trying to take issue by issue and point out that 'Central Planning' by Society is a good thing for America. The CONCEPT of 'communal action' (action by the entire society) on various topics is good for everyone.

At least we agree that the National Interstate System is a good idea ... even though it was copied from Hitler's Autobahns.

"The Reichsautobahn system was the beginning of the German autobahns under the Third Reich. There had been previous plans for controlled-access highways in Germany under the Weimar Republic, and two had been constructed, but work had yet to start on long-distance highways. After previously opposing plans for a highway network, the Nazis embraced them after coming to power and presented the project as Hitler's own idea."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsautobahn

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Don: "I have no problem with taxes going to pay for roads"
    Jack; OK. Good. We have a starting point. We both agree that a Toll Booth every 15 miles is great for the Shareholder, but terrible for the average Commuter.

Don: "Of course, now you think you have the ultimate "gotcha" because according to you leftists, if we agree to "public" roads, it only stands to reason that I should support "socialized" medicine and a living wage and free college because you will twist yourself in knots trying to explain to me how I will benefit from all of this "communal" effort."
    Jack; Calm down, Don. You jump from a social need of 'public roads' to why you are against the nationalization of the Energy Sector. Try not to go ballistic here.

Don: "The thing is it has no material effect on me if you have medical insurance and die of a heart attack absent the federal government demanding that no ER can turn you away thus cost shifting your burden. If you were truly financially responsible for your own care then you would either get insurance or die. Neither is of consequence to me."
    Jack: Thank you for your confession that you care not for your Brother Human Being.

Don: "Now this is where you move on to the police and fire departments because you know if the gobblement didn't step in, we would have private police forces and private fire companies. More false choices by another left wing false wizard."
    Jack: No. Actually I was going to bring up 'Central Planning' and the building of the Hoover Dam and/or the Panama Canal.

Don: "I have seen all of these bullshit arguments before. You are not the first. I have swatted them down in the past and I will continue to do so. Next time try not to argue using false choices. You might fare better"
    Jack: That's swell, Don. I was trying to take issue by issue and point out that 'Central Planning' by Society is a good thing for America. The CONCEPT of 'communal action' (action by the entire society) on various topics is good for everyone.

At least we agree that the National Interstate System is a good idea ... even though it was copied from Hitler's Autobahns.

"The Reichsautobahn system was the beginning of the German autobahns under the Third Reich. There had been previous plans for controlled-access highways in Germany under the Weimar Republic, and two had been constructed, but work had yet to start on long-distance highways. After previously opposing plans for a highway network, the Nazis embraced them after coming to power and presented the project as Hitler's own idea."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsautobahn

It is interesting that educational standards have fallen since Jimmah Cahta founded the Department of Education. Oh let me guess? We don't spend enough money on education right?

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

AG BARR IS COMING
    who's he banging?

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is interesting that educational standards have fallen since Jimmah Cahta founded the Department of Education. Oh let me guess? We don't spend enough money on education right?
    'Diversion'. "Hey! There's a bird in a tree over there".

6. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Tell us more about Williamson. I haven't heard of her.
    I've been hoping for an outsider Dem candidate with a great message and charisma. Somebody who could lure wishy-washy Trump voters away. (You know, because there were so many of them.)

Here she is:

Marianne Williamson's Story

I liked a lot of what she said. She is one of those people who just makes undeniable sense. Sort of like Oprah, who has the charisma to easily trounce Trump, but won't run. Williamson has been a counselor to Oprah, and has a strong following of her own from her inspirational speaking and the books she's written. One of the things she said that I really liked was that she believes we should have a 'Department of Peace.' Some posters pooh-poohed that idea in the thread I began about her here, so I posted her reasoning for wanting that, which promptly shut them totally up.

Here is her short video explaining why we should have a Department Of Peace. Apparently, it just makes so much sense that nobody could find any fault with it.

And it doesn't hurt at all that she's GORGEOUS!

She's just the breath of personality that Bernie needs on his ticket.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cinnabar (06-17-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-17-2019)

8. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

I've been hoping for an outsider Dem candidate with a great message and charisma. Somebody who could lure wishy-washy Trump voters away. (You know, because there were so many of them.)

Here she is:

I liked a lot of what she said. She is one of those people who just makes undeniable sense. Sort of like Oprah, who has the charisma to easily trounce Trump, but won't run. Williamson has been a counselor to Oprah, and has a strong following of her own from her inspirational speaking and the books she's written. One of the things she said that I really liked was that she believes we should have a 'Department of Peace.' Some posters pooh-poohed that idea in the thread I began about her here, so I posted her reasoning for wanting that, which promptly shut them totally up.

Here is her short video explaining why we should have a Department Of Peace. Apparently, it just makes so much sense that nobody could find any fault with it.

Great video from your link...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-17-2019)

10. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Here she is:

The realty is most people don't have the time or desire to watch a video. If you really want to start a discussion about a Department of Peace offer up some cliffs on what she said and maybe that will whet some folks appetite to watch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-17-2019)

12. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures.

Lots of luck with that.

Then they must be ratifiedratified after two-thirds of the House and Senate approve of the proposal and send it to the states for a vote. Then, three-fourths of the states must affirm the proposed Amendment.

Lots of luck with that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Life is Golden (06-17-2019)

14. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 10,039 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

It is interesting that educational standards have fallen since Jimmah Cahta founded the Department of Education.
    No.

Education standards fell with the rise of private and Christian schools, which steal money from the public school system via charters and vouchers, and produce results no better than that of public schools...even when given the ability to cherry pick students.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

15. The Following User Groans At LV426 For This Awful Post:

Earl (06-17-2019)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-17-2019)

17. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures.

Lots of luck with that.

Then they must be ratifiedratified after two-thirds of the House and Senate approve of the proposal and send it to the states for a vote. Then, three-fourths of the states must affirm the proposed Amendment.

Lots of luck with that.

18. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 10,039 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The realty is most people don't have the time or desire to watch a video. If you really want to start a discussion about a Department of Peace offer up some cliffs on what she said and maybe that will whet some folks appetite to watch.
    In other words, "I'm too lazy to watch a link, so I'm entitled to an accommodation of that bad faith if you want to have a one-sided debate with me, even though I'm never going to change my mind, despite facts, information, and my own willful ignorance".
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

19. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

“Bernie Sanders calls for “21st Century Bill of Rights”

Poor (not so much anymore, thanks to Capitalism) old Sleepy, Creepy Uncle Joe probably doesn’t even know what century he us living in.

20. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cinnabar,

We are still getting to know all the Dem candidates.

It's amazing there is so much fresh new energy on the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    Great video from your link...

Oh, that WAS totally awesome!

Thanks!

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

21. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I didn't like the formatting for that vid. It doesn't tell you how long the video is. I don't know about you, but when I consider watching a vid, I wanna know how long it is. If it's too long, I probably won't watch it. But if it's only a minute or two I am far more likely to give it a chance.

Her "Waging Peace" video is 1:17 long.

I don't think I could write anything that matches her delivery which could be read in less time.