Thread: College loans

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default College loans

I have zero sympathy for people with college loans.

When I was a senior in high school I insisted on going to a private college. What a dummy I was. My parents took out a loan and had me sign the paperwork 'it will come due in four years when you graduate'. I had no concept of money. $1000 was the same as $10,000 to me, both unfathomable amounts of money, but boy once I graduated engineering school and got the big job, I could pay off any loan. What a dummy I was.

After three semesters of ball buster math classes my grades were shitty and my parents started to warn me about my loans. If I didn't make it through I'd be in trouble. So I quit school and worked full time for an engineering company. As a draftsman. I was good at it but the pay wasn't enough to pay rent never mind get the car that I wanted. So I lived with my parents and drove my old shitty car.

After a year of that and two 25-cent raises I realized that I needed to get back to it. So applied to the state school and got in. They accepted about half of my credits. Wow the tuition was a lot cheaper than before. Yeah, I was educated about money now.

After paying my first semester tuition from what I had saved working full time I had very little money in my savings account so decided that I needed to get a part time job. The best paying job on campus was driving a bus. It took a whole semester to train, unpaid, but with the relatively rare qualifications, the available hours were nearly unlimited. Between the job and engineering school I had very little down time but was happy to be busy, productive and above all, not poor. It really sucked to be poor. During school vacations I worked at my job in Boston. So I was busy making dough 52 weeks out of every year. I didn't even think of vacation. Seriously never even entered my mind.

After getting the ball buster courses out of the way I really stared to enjoy my junior and senior years. Every semester my grades got better and I was staring to ace courses. Professors were taking notice and encouraging me to take on some 500 level stuff, which was basically graduate level work. I did and aced those too.

One prof offered me a TA job which would pay for my tuition if I went on to grad school and thought long about that. About 30 seconds. "I can't do it" was my reply. "I got loans that I need to pay off."

I didn't even have paperwork for the damn loans. 'Don't worry about it, you're still in school' was what my Mom said. Unbeknownst to me, the poor gal was having a personal crisis and not managing well. The bank had been calling me at the home number, and she had been hanging up on them with the same response that she gave me: 'he's still in school, stop bothering him'.

Three months before my last finals the bank finally got a hold of me at my college phone number. An angry voice announced: "You have until 5:00 pm to pay $1500 to us at blank street in Boston, or you're in default. Cash." It was 2:00 in the afternoon. I knew that I had about $200 left in my bank account, not nearly enough to pay what the bitch was axing for, so I did a quick calculation of time. Two hour drive to get to the bank, assuming no traffic. Gotta stop for gas, add ten minutes. Would have to call my Dad and explain to him to meet me with some cash; add ten minutes. Find a place to park; add ten minutes. Really cutting it close. With my luck, I'd arrive one minute late. Chance was that my Dad was not in his office anyway. "I don't see how I can make it by 5:00 today. Can I have until tomorrow?"

"No" was the terse response from the bitch on the other end of the line.

The next day I got a call from a collection agency and in five minutes had a payment schedule. I think it was $150/ month. I don't remember how many months but at least I was out of the woods. There went my beer money until I graduated and got a real job, but I could handle that. At least I had money for food and rent.

Two weeks after that the sun shined down on me so hard it was unbelievable. The phone rang and it was my boss from my Boston job. 'Are you available to work on campus starting in three weeks? It's full time, actually 10 hours/ day, seven days/ week. It's a state job so we have to pay you the state wage for engineering interns (like five fucking times per hour what they had been paying me). Plus we set you up at the campus hotel (luxury digs compared to my shitty apartment), and a per diem for meals.'

"Yeah, why not?" was my response.

I started that job about six weeks before my last final exam. Since I was in good standing with all my profs they all basically told me to not bother coming to classes unless I got lonely, just show up for finals. Got the best grades of my college career that last semester. I went from to poor house to The Man in a snap.

That job went on for about four months, and then another just like it at a nearby public school that was closed down for the summer. So I got my resume together and took my pick of three or four offerings, the highest paying one an hour down the road in Hartford CT.

Since that sunshine phone call I have never been unemployed. My credit rating was shitty because of the default, and would be for seven years after I paid off my school loan, so I accelerated payments and paid it off in five years.

I can still hear that bitch in Boston from years ago "You have until 5:00 pm..." Fuck her. My credit score is 840/850 now. Big fat 401k, could retire next week if I wanted to. But I'm having too much fun. I payed off my last three-year car loan in five months.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Life is Golden (06-12-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post

When I was a senior in high school I insisted on going to a private college. What a dummy I was. My parents took out a loan and had me sign the paperwork 'it will come due in four years when you graduate'. I had no concept of money. $1000 was the same as $10,000 to me, both unfathomable amounts of money, but boy once I graduated engineering school and got the big job, I could pay off any loan. What a dummy I was.

After three semesters of ball buster math classes my grades were shitty and my parents started to warn me about my loans. If I didn't make it through I'd be in trouble. So I quit school and worked full time for an engineering company. As a draftsman. I was good at it but the pay wasn't enough to pay rent never mind get the car that I wanted. So I lived with my parents and drove my old shitty car.

After a year of that and two 25-cent raises I realized that I needed to get back to it. So applied to the state school and got in. They accepted about half of my credits. Wow the tuition was a lot cheaper than before. Yeah, I was educated about money now.

After paying my first semester tuition from what I had saved working full time I had very little money in my savings account so decided that I needed to get a part time job. The best paying job on campus was driving a bus. It took a whole semester to train, unpaid, but with the relatively rare qualifications, the available hours were nearly unlimited. Between the job and engineering school I had very little down time but was happy to be busy, productive and above all, not poor. It really sucked to be poor. During school vacations I worked at my job in Boston. So I was busy making dough 52 weeks out of every year. I didn't even think of vacation. Seriously never even entered my mind.

After getting the ball buster courses out of the way I really stared to enjoy my junior and senior years. Every semester my grades got better and I was staring to ace courses. Professors were taking notice and encouraging me to take on some 500 level stuff, which was basically graduate level work. I did and aced those too.

One prof offered me a TA job which would pay for my tuition if I went on to grad school and thought long about that. About 30 seconds. "I can't do it" was my reply. "I got loans that I need to pay off."

I didn't even have paperwork for the damn loans. 'Don't worry about it, you're still in school' was what my Mom said. Unbeknownst to me, the poor gal was having a personal crisis and not managing well. The bank had been calling me at the home number, and she had been hanging up on them with the same response that she gave me: 'he's still in school, stop bothering him'.

Three months before my last finals the bank finally got a hold of me at my college phone number. An angry voice announced: "You have until 5:00 pm to pay $1500 to us at blank street in Boston, or you're in default. Cash." It was 2:00 in the afternoon. I knew that I had about $200 left in my bank account, not nearly enough to pay what the bitch was axing for, so I did a quick calculation of time. Two hour drive to get to the bank, assuming no traffic. Gotta stop for gas, add ten minutes. Would have to call my Dad and explain to him to meet me with some cash; add ten minutes. Find a place to park; add ten minutes. Really cutting it close. With my luck, I'd arrive one minute late. Chance was that my Dad was not in his office anyway. "I don't see how I can make it by 5:00 today. Can I have until tomorrow?"

The next day I got a call from a collection agency and in five minutes had a payment schedule. I think it was $150/ month. I don't remember how many months but at least I was out of the woods. There went my beer money until I graduated and got a real job, but I could handle that. At least I had money for food and rent.

Two weeks after that the sun shined down on me so hard it was unbelievable. The phone rang and it was my boss from my Boston job. 'Are you available to work on campus starting in three weeks? It's full time, actually 10 hours/ day, seven days/ week. It's a state job so we have to pay you the state wage for engineering interns (like five fucking times per hour what they had been paying me). Plus we set you up at the campus hotel (luxury digs compared to my shitty apartment), and a per diem for meals.'

I started that job about six weeks before my last final exam. Since I was in good standing with all my profs they all basically told me to not bother coming to classes unless I got lonely, just show up for finals. Got the best grades of my college career that last semester. I went from to poor house to The Man in a snap.

That job went on for about four months, and then another just like it at a nearby public school that was closed down for the summer. So I got my resume together and took my pick of three or four offerings, the highest paying one an hour down the road in Hartford CT.

Since that sunshine phone call I have never been unemployed. My credit rating was shitty because of the default, and would be for seven years after I paid off my school loan, so I accelerated payments and paid it off in five years.

I can still hear that bitch in Boston from years ago "You have until 5:00 pm..." Fuck her. My credit score is 840/850 now. Big fat 401k, could retire next week if I wanted to. But I'm having too much fun. I payed off my last three-year car loan in five months.
    What's your point?
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Sounds like a made up story.

But more importantly, not everyone has a Mommy and a Daddy who will secure a private bank loan for their kid, like Mommy supposedly did for you.

I had zero help from anyone, and was fortunate enough that the citizens and government of the United States made low-interest, government-guaranteed loans available to people who have the interest and are qualified to go to college.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-13-2019)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 96 Times in 94 Posts

I had barely minimal undergrad loans. I could have made about 30k a year or more with my undergrad degree.

I bet the bank I could make more getting a professional degree.

I won.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yurt For This Post:

MAGA MAN (06-12-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Sounds like a made up story.

But more importantly, not everyone has a Mommy and a Daddy who will secure a private bank loan for their kid, like Mommy supposedly did for you.

I had zero help from anyone, and was fortunate enough that the citizens and government of the United States made low-interest, government-guaranteed loans available to people who have the interest and are qualified to go to college.
    It was a GovCo guaranteed student loan.
    Last edited by MAGA MAN; 06-12-2019 at 09:32 PM.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    What's your point?
    "I have zero sympathy for people with college loans."

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"I have zero sympathy for people with college loans."
    Oh!
    Why did we have to hear about,no beer money
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh!
    Why did we have to hear about,no beer money
    Cuz for some, beer money is more important than integrity. And I have no sympathy for those types...

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cuz for some, beer money is more important than integrity. And I have no sympathy for those types...
    Beer is ok for a private school,but a public school is partly supported by my taxes,if I paid taxes.
    And we shouldn't have to pay to educate some lush!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Beer is ok for a private school,but a public school is partly supported by my taxes,if I paid taxes.
    And we shouldn't have to pay to educate some lush!
    “Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.”

Ben Franklin

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

“Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.”

Ben Franklin
    Wine isn't beer
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wine isn't beer
    No kidding?

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No kidding?
    So fuck Ben Franklin,what kind of fool,flies a kite in a thunderstorm
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I borrowed 20k for my undergraduate and graduate education back in the 80’s. That was the equivalent of two new cars back then or about $50k in today’s dollars. It took me 20 years to pay it off. It was worth every cent. If it had not been for student loans I would not have gone to college as my parents simply didn’t have the money.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (06-13-2019)

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I borrowed 20k for my undergraduate and graduate education back in the 80’s. That was the equivalent of two new cars back then or about $50k in today’s dollars. It took me 20 years to pay it off. It was worth every cent. If it had not been for student loans I would not have gone to college as my parents simply didn’t have the money.
    [Cypress]Sounds like a made up story.
    [/Cypress]