Thread: Anyone into photography?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,398 Times in 53,276 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Usually you are just better off not using it & then cropping the pict for a better quality/sharper focus on the part of your image you wish to focus on..
    Yes, that's pretty much what I do as well. I have a fairly good photo editing proggie but even so there's no way to really fix poor focus. Wish I knew how to share Imgur photo albums here because I could give you a great illustration of the difference the right lens makes. The album is aurora photos I've taken, before and after I got the right lens. They're all beautiful, but you can truly see the difference. Instead I'll just post a before n after for you.

Before the right lens:

After the right lens:

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (05-31-2019), Bill (05-31-2019), Cypress (05-31-2019), Life is Golden (05-31-2019), Phantasmal (05-31-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Can you see how the stars are oblong and distorted in #1, and the aurora is blurry? In #2 the stars are crisp and round, and the aurora is better define. #2 still isn't optimal, but I'm working on it!

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, the difference is quite clear...
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Yes, my phone takes great picts as well but close up it can't focus well..

Say you want to take pict of a flower, then the center section, then some of the individual aspects of the center...

Example: I can't get any closer than these..
    You can use editing software and crop the pic until you get the desired result. I don't know how good lenses are for phones. It would be a bit of an investment to get quality glass with a DSLR, but what the hell? It's a hobby.

I was weeding the flower bed a couple of years ago in the morning. Saw these two on the seed pod from my cleome.

Went into the house and got the camera with the macro. They weren't going anywhere, so I had plenty of time!

DSC_0010.jpg
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Can you see how the stars are oblong and distorted in #1, and the aurora is blurry? In #2 the stars are crisp and round, and the aurora is better define. #2 still isn't optimal, but I'm working on it!
    How are you guys posting such large pix? When I use the 'insert image' button above, I get these thumbnails.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    You can use editing software and crop the pic until you get the desired result. I don't know how good lenses are for phones. It would be a bit of an investment to get quality glass with a DSLR, but what the hell? It's a hobby.

I was weeding the flower bed a couple of years ago in the morning. Saw these two on the seed pod from my cleome.

Went into the house and got the camera with the macro. They weren't going anywhere, so I had plenty of time!

DSC_0010.jpg
    LMAO!!!!! They was busy....lol

Yes, it is just a hobby so I wanna make sure I am interested before I start buying more toys..

W/ those picts If it is cropped any more it becomes blurry do to lack of focus.. Those were just some Rose of Sharon I was practicing on, seeing how close I could get & remain in focus..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

How are you guys posting such large pix? When I use the 'insert image' button above, I get these thumbnails.
    I post my photos to be used on this site on Imgur, and use their software. If you click "reply" on one of my posts that has a photo, you'll see the URL.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LMAO!!!!! They was busy....lol

Yes, it is just a hobby so I wanna make sure I am interested before I start buying more toys..

W/ those picts If it is cropped any more it becomes blurry do to lack of focus.. Those were just some Rose of Sharon I was practicing on, seeing how close I could get & remain in focus..
    Yes. Better to get better focus from farther away, and work with the editing. Macro is tricky, because you don't actually focus. You move in/out to focus. Breathing makes it hard to focus, as does the slightest breeze.

Editing software helps to a point when you use the 'sharpen' option, but out of focus pix will give you just so much.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Bill (05-31-2019)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

DSC_0010.jpg
    OMG... bug love! Great photo!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Bill (05-31-2019)

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes. Better to get better focus from farther away, and work with the editing. Macro is tricky, because you don't actually focus. You move in/out to focus. Breathing makes it hard to focus, as does the slightest breeze.

Editing software helps to a point when you use the 'sharpen' option, but out of focus pix will give you just so much.
    I have a tripod already & it seems to help..

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I post my photos to be used on this site on Imgur, and use their software. If you click "reply" on one of my posts that has a photo, you'll see the URL.
    Yes. I used to use photobucket, when message boards didn't give the option to embed. I hear PB now charges to access the accounts, so I guess I have hundreds of images in PB jail.

Is Imgur free?

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Tripods are our friend when it comes to this kind of stuff. I have tried to take photos of the aurora out of jet windows, even draping self and camera in a blanket, and using the armrest to steady my hands... still looks like crap. Both long shots and close-ups are much crisper with a tripod.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (05-31-2019), Bill (05-31-2019)

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes. I used to use photobucket, when message boards didn't give the option to embed. I hear PB now charges to access the accounts, so I guess I have hundreds of images in PB jail.

Is Imgur free?
    I just started using https://postimg.cc/gallery/3bwewj5p6/ & it is free & easy..

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have a tripod already & it seems to help..
    I was going to suggest a tripod for clarity. When I'm using my 200mm zoom, it's essential.DSC_0003.jpg

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Bill (05-31-2019), ThatOwlWoman (05-31-2019)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was going to suggest a tripod for clarity. When I'm using my 200mm zoom, it's essential.DSC_0003.jpg
    Nice, did you take that?? They have anna's up there??