Thread: Downtown Los Angeles

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,490 Times in 7,581 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Please cite proof that laws against "vagrancy, drug possession, disorderly conduct, etc." are not enforced.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...ng-6465355.php

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    I just relooked at the video all the way through

link to your proof

and even if you turn out to be correct does that mean there is NO DUMPING in rural America?
    You don't know how to use YouTube?
    Click on 'SHOW MORE' and it gives you more info on the video. Good grief.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

America’s Cities Are Unlivable. Blame Wealthy Liberals.

The demise of a California housing measure shows how progressives abandon progressive values in their own backyards.

To live in California at this time is to experience every day the cryptic phrase that George W. Bush once used to describe the invasion of Iraq: “Catastrophic success.” The economy here is booming, but no one feels especially good about it. When the cost of living is taken into account, billionaire-brimming California ranks as the most poverty-stricken state, with a fifth of the population struggling to get by. Since 2010, migration out of California has surged.

The basic problem is the steady collapse of livability. Across my home state, traffic and transportation is a developing-world nightmare. Child care and education seem impossible for all but the wealthiest. The problems of affordable housing and homelessness have surpassed all superlatives — what was a crisis is now an emergency that feels like a dystopian showcase of American inequality.

Just look at San Francisco, Nancy Pelosi’s city. One of every 11,600 residents is a billionaire, and the annual household income necessary to buy a median-priced home now tops $320,000. Yet the streets there are a plague of garbage and needles and feces, and every morning brings fresh horror stories from a “Black Mirror” hellscape: Homeless veterans are surviving on an economy of trash from billionaires’ mansions. Wealthy homeowners are crowdfunding a legal effort arguing that a proposed homeless shelter is an environmental hazard. A public-school teacher suffering from cancer is forced to pay for her own substitute.

And there is no end in sight to such crushing success. At every level of government, our representatives, nearly all of them Democrats, prove inadequate and unresponsive to the challenges at hand. Witness last week’s embarrassment, when California lawmakers used a sketchy parliamentary maneuver to knife Senate Bill 50, an ambitious effort to undo restrictive local zoning rules and increase the supply of housing.

It was another chapter in a dismal saga of Nimbyist urban mismanagement that is crushing American cities. Not-in-my-backyardism is a bipartisan sentiment, but because the largest American cities are populated and run by Democrats — many in states under complete Democratic control — this sort of nakedly exclusionary urban restrictionism is a particular shame of the left.

There are many threads in the story of America’s increasingly unlivable cities. One continuing tragedy is the decimation of local media and the rise of nationalized politics in its place. In America the “local” problems plaguing cities are systematically sidelined by the structure of the national media and government, in which the presidency, the Senate and the Supreme Court are all constitutionally tilted in favor of places where no one lives. (There are more than twice as many people in my midsize suburban county, Santa Clara, as there are in the entire state of North Dakota, with its two United States senators.)

That’s why, aside from Elizabeth Warren — who has a plan for housing, as she has a plan for everything — Democrats on the 2020 presidential trail rarely mention their ideas for housing affordability, an issue eating American cities alive. I watched Joe Biden’s campaign kick off the other day; the only house he mentioned was the White House.

Then there is the refusal on the part of wealthy progressives to live by the values they profess to support at the national level. Creating dense, economically and socially diverse urban environments ought to be a paramount goal of progressivism. Cities are the standard geographical unit of the global economy. Dense urban areas are quite literally the “real America” — the cities are where two-thirds of Americans live, and they account for almost all national economic output. Urban areas are the most environmentally friendly way we know of housing lots of people. We can’t solve the climate crisis without vastly improving public transportation and increasing urban density. More than that, metropolises are good for the psyche and the soul; density fosters tolerance, diversity, creativity and progress.

Yet where progressives argue for openness and inclusion as a cudgel against President Trump, they abandon it on Nob Hill and in Beverly Hills. This explains the opposition to SB 50, which aimed to address the housing shortage in a very straightforward way: by building more housing. The bill would have erased single-family zoning in populous areas near transit locations. Areas zoned for homes housing a handful of people could have been redeveloped to include duplexes and apartment buildings that housed hundreds.
    State Senator Scott Wiener, center, introduced a bill, later shelved, that would have allowed higher-density housing in areas close to transit and jobs.

The bill had garnered support from a diverse coalition of business and advocacy groups, and its sponsor, State Senator Scott Wiener, had negotiated a series of compromises with some of its fiercest opponents. Polls showed the measure to be widely popular. For the first time, something extraordinary looked possible: California’s wealthy homeowners would abandon their restrictionist attitudes and let us build some new housing.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/o...gtype=Homepage
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    White male privilege allows all those white homeless guys to live rent free on the streets of LA.

"L.A. spent $619 million on homelessness last year. Has it made a difference?"

https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...511-story.html
    It’s the same in SF. More money is being spent and yet the problem keeps getting worse.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

This article from BI says CA has nearly a quarter of the nation's homeless population. You say Cali has the most wealth yet housing is unaffordable in cities like LA or SF.

"The crisis in San Francisco is by far the most acute, with United Nations Special Rapporteur Leilani Farha calling it a "human rights violation" and "a cruelty that is unsurpassed."

The situation in Los Angeles is close behind: On any given night, around 1,800 people congregate in Skid Row, a dilapidated homeless encampment that's riddled with drugs, crime, and disease.

https://www.businessinsider.com/phot...1#california-4
    We severely limit new development in major metro areas of California. Big part of why our housing costs are by far the highest in the nation and we have the highest poverty rate and the homeless we do. This state has the ultimate F you I’ve got mine attitude when it comes to housing.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Did you even bother to check where the video you posted, is referring to; because it sure isn't the US, you dumbass waste of breath??
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just relooked at the video all the way through

link to your proof

and even if you turn out to be correct does that mean there is NO DUMPING in rural America?
    [translation]

I don't know what I'm talking about; but that doesn't matter, because of how I FEEL.

[/translation]

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Are you high? YOUR video was of South Wales.
    Yes it is, and on Iolo's patch in Tonypandy as well. This typifies how crazy that woman really is, she bangs on about facts yet rarely checks her facts first.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Stretch (05-26-2019)

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Why just out west? I don't expect volsrock to post this kind of propaganda about every city, just liberal cities. Check out this graph. Looks like most of the cities are on or near coasts. I'm guessing that's a factor in homelessness.

All cities run for decades by the democrat party

11. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's an age-old problem so why don't we start with the reagan era when he cut funding to mental institutions and caused mentally-ill people to go on the streets.

https://sites.psu.edu/psy533wheeler/...omment-page-1/
    ROFLMAO

only the most vacuous of twats would try to blame today’s homeless problems in democrat dominated cities on Reagan

If it were in fact the cause you would see a wider distribution of cities

You really aren’t smart at all are you?

12. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is hilarious watching leftists and Trans Righty’s twist themselves in knots trying to come up for any reason for the massive fucked yup situation in left wing city and states other than left wing policies

We have Reagan to be at fault and we have “it’s just mental illness”

Let’s not forget how “wealthy” Commiefornia is yet those wealthy left wingers in Commiefornia don’t seem to care that much to do enough about it

13. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

ever see the trash dumped on rural roads you fucking idiot
    I see the trash that lives where you are, cunt. Sad part is you won't pick it up.

14. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I honestly don't think that much about Cawacko to say whether he is a troll.
    The OP on the other hand is a degenerate racist, and I have zero doubt what his concern about trash in LA is about....brown people taking over our cities
    It's that "taking over" that provides an automatic level of permanent trash.

15. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    It's that "taking over" that provides an automatic level of permanent trash.
    What I learned in this thread from you and from others, is that when conservatives think of hispanics, they think of barbarians popping on your porch, piles of trash, and people who are unhygienic, dirty, and uncouth.

The thing is, I already knew that in general, conservatives have a low opinion of brown people. You did not need to prove it to me.

Another pertinent fact: Brown people did not just show up in Los Angeles. Hispanics and people of Mexican and Central America background have been an important part of the landscape and demographics of Los Angeles throughout its history. They were here before Walt Disney, Movie stars, and Hollywood moguls showed up. So conflating brown people with a picture of trash from last week does not cut the mustard.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-26-2019), Phantasmal (05-26-2019)

17. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    What I learned in this thread from you and from others, is that when conservatives think of hispanics, they think of barbarians popping on your porch, and piles of trash.

The thing is, I already knew that in general, conservatives have a low opinion of brown people. You did not need to prove it to me.

Another pertinent fact: Brown people did not just show up in Los Angeles. Hispanics and people of Mexican and Central America background have been an import part of the landscape and demographics of Los Angeles throughout its history. They were here before Walt Disney, Movie stars, and Hollywood moguls showed up. So conflating brown people with a picture of trash from last week does not cut the mustard.
    What I already knew is that people like you will cover for groups that, based on statistics, commit violent crimes on a far higher percentage than they make up in society.

Import part? Yeah, you're importing more violent ones like the POS that killed Kate Steinle.

The mustard has been cut. It's not what they are but the way they act.