Thread: KATIE PORTER new DEM 'star' slays BEN CARSON on policy using a word rife with irony

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default KATIE PORTER new DEM 'star' slays BEN CARSON on policy using a word rife with irony

Sometimes shit just happens, no one can plan it. Of all the freaking words that a REO might have rhymed with, a cookie, but this 'cookie'? And the head of HUD didn't know it? It's a thing, a real thing, has been for 10 YEARS and it even has its own logo and CLIP art.

Katie is a from IA, looks like a nice 'corn fed' mid-western girl, pleasant and non-threatening. Till she ask a question! She caught the eye of Maddow and ODonnell from the freshman class in Congress this year and they were a little too over the moon for her for my taste. Then I watched her in action. Harvard, Yale and her last 'gig' was a professor at USC. This is one sharp 'COOKIE'.

Dem Katie Porter absolutely destroys Ben Carson again after exposing him as a buffoon

By Travis Gettys - May 22, 2019

Rep. Katie Porter and HUD Secretary Ben Carson

Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA) exposed Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson’s ignorance during a congressional hearing that went viral, but she worried the problem would not be seen as seriously as it should be.

Late-night comedians and social media users mocked Carson for mixing up an acronym for foreclosures with Oreo cookies, but Porter said she did not go into that House Oversight Committee hearing with the intent to draw laughs.

“My questions were serious — they weren’t designed to be funny,” Porter said.
    “He’s clearly done absolutely nothing to even learn about this problem, much less address it,” she said. “The result is, not only are families being put in foreclosure when we could have avoided it, lenders are paying higher costs, and the end result is taxpayer dollars are being misused, and we’re ultimately reducing the supply of credit and the cost of credit to low-income homeowners. That’s a problem that should concern every American who wants to see this economy growing.”

The Orange County Democrat has worked for years helping families navigate foreclosure and other housing issues, and she felt insulted that Carson didn’t even know enough about the job he’s held for two years to avoid personal embarrassment.

“Mr. Carson did not only not know anything about this, but he told me it was my job to explain to him and come to HUD and teach his staff,” Porter said, “and to me that shows a real disrespect for the importance of the his job to the American people.”
    Carson posted a lighthearted photo online of himself holding a package of Oreo cookies after the hearing, and Porter said he tried to make a joke of it with her.

“Mr. Carson yesterday, when I got back to my office, he had a package of Oreos delivered to me,” Porter said. “But what I want from Mr. Carson is answers for the American people.”

Porter flatly said she does not believe Carson should hold his job, although she refused to speculate why President Donald Trump had nominated the retired neurosurgeon for the position.

“I can’t speak to President Trump’s motives, but I can speak to the outcome to American families and businesses, which we are all losing by not having competent, strong, effective, intelligent leadership at HUD,” Porter said....

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/dem...-as-a-buffoon/

Last edited by Centerleftfl; 05-22-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,137 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    Sometimes shit just happens, no one can plan it. Of all the freaking words that an REO might have rhymed with, a cookied? And a BRAIN SURGEON who is head of HUD didn't know it? It's a thing, a real thing, has been for 10 YEARS and it even has its own logo and CLIP art.

Katie is a from IA, looks like a nice 'corn fed' mid-western girl, pleasant and non-threatening. Till she ask question! She caught the eye of Maddow and ODonnell and they were a little too over the moon for her for my taste. Then I watched her in action. Harvard, Yale and her last 'gig' was a professor at USC. This is one sharp 'COOKIE'.

Dem Katie Porter absolutely destroys Ben Carson again after exposing him as a buffoon

By Travis Gettys - May 22, 2019

Rep. Katie Porter and HUD Secretary Ben Carson

Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA) exposed Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson’s ignorance during a congressional hearing that went viral, but she worried the problem would not be seen as seriously as it should be.

Late-night comedians and social media users mocked Carson for mixing up an acronym for foreclosures with Oreo cookies, but Porter said she did not go into that House Oversight Committee hearing with the intent to draw laughs.

“My questions were serious — they weren’t designed to be funny,” Porter said.
    “He’s clearly done absolutely nothing to even learn about this problem, much less address it,” she said. “The result is, not only are families being put in foreclosure when we could have avoided it, lenders are paying higher costs, and the end result is taxpayer dollars are being misused, and we’re ultimately reducing the supply of credit and the cost of credit to low-income homeowners. That’s a problem that should concern every American who wants to see this economy growing.”

The Orange County Democrat has worked for years helping families navigate foreclosure and other housing issues, and she felt insulted that Carson didn’t even know enough about the job he’s held for two years to avoid personal embarrassment.

“Mr. Carson did not only not know anything about this, but he told me it was my job to explain to him and come to HUD and teach his staff,” Porter said, “and to me that shows a real disrespect for the importance of the his job to the American people.”
    Carson posted a lighthearted photo online of himself holding a package of Oreo cookies after the hearing, and Porter said he tried to make a joke of it with her.

“Mr. Carson yesterday, when I got back to my office, he had a package of Oreos delivered to me,” Porter said. “But what I want from Mr. Carson is answers for the American people.”

Porter flatly said she does not believe Carson should hold his job, although she refused to speculate why President Donald Trump had nominated the retired neurosurgeon for the position.

“I can’t speak to President Trump’s motives, but I can speak to the outcome to American families and businesses, which we are all losing by not having competent, strong, effective, intelligent leadership at HUD,” Porter said....

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/dem...-as-a-buffoon/

https://youtu.be/B98yibLADFQ

She is amazing! She has nailed everyone she’s questioned.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    She is SHARP!! I want to see more of her.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-22-2019)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Phan, did you know this? Damn!! The only thing I knew till the past 5 minutes was that she was the FIRST DEM to ever win the seat in S.CAL.

05/11/2018 08:00 am ET Updated May 11, 2018

Katie Porter Survived Domestic Abuse, Only To Have It Used Against Her In Her Campaign

A nasty primary race has made the congressional candidate tell the difficult story of escaping her violent ex-husband.

By Laura Bassett
    HUFFINGTON POST

KATIE PORTERConsumer protection advocate Katie Porter studied under Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) at Harvard Law School and now has Warren’s endorsement for Congress.

WASHINGTON ― Four years before law professor Katie Porter launched her campaign for Congress, the single mother of three was flossing her teeth in the bathroom of her home in Irvine, California, when her then-husband barged in.

Matthew Hoffman grabbed his wife’s hands, ripped the floss out of them and threw it away, and then punched the wall so hard that he shattered the faceplate on the light switch and knocked the lights out. He would later tell a judge he was angry because his wife had been brushing her teeth too slowly.

That was in April 2013. Porter and Hoffman had separated the previous month but continued to live together while they figured out what to do. Porter said Hoffman became abusive and unhinged over those weeks in a desperate effort to stop her from divorcing him.

He pushed her into a wall, threw things at her, called her a “dumb bitch” in front of their three young children and would bang so loudly on her bedroom door at night that she had to prop a chair against it to keep him at bay. She said he shoved their 1-year-old daughter across the kitchen in her high chair, threatened to kill himself and once held the door of Porter’s car open to stop her from driving to a school meeting.

Porter cried as she told me these stories in the basement conference room of a Marriott in Washington, D.C. It was mid-April 2018, and in a few hours, female Democratic senators and celebrities would descend on the hotel for the annual EMILY’s List gala. Porter was also being celebrated that night as part of the post-election wave of women candidates vying for office. A 44-year-old Harvard-educated consumer advocate, she was the first congressional candidate EMILY’s List endorsed for the 2018 cycle and has since landed the endorsements of Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Kamala Harris (D-Calif.).

I think it’s important that people understand that when real people run, they run with their real lives, and those lives might often include painful times.Katie Porter
    The daughter of an Iowa farmer-turned-banker, Porter grew up during the farm crisis, watching “the entire economy around me go to hell.” When she decided to run for Congress, she had been excited to talk about the things that inspired her: consumer protection, housing fairness, women’s rights, her menteeship under Warren. She was less prepared to talk about her own experience with domestic abuse. “I thought long and hard about this,” she said.

Last edited by Centerleftfl; 05-22-2019 at 09:25 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-22-2019)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

She is SHARP!! I want to see more of her.
    I do, too. Carson should have quit while he was ahead and known as the brilliant brain surgeon now he’s the Oreo, extravagant table guy whose trying to stay out of the weeds, and I haven’t bothered to learn the term of my department guy.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Phan, did you know this? Damn!! The only thing I knew till the past 5 minutes was that she was the FIRST DEM to ever win the seat in S.CAL.

05/11/2018 08:00 am ET Updated May 11, 2018

Katie Porter Survived Domestic Abuse, Only To Have It Used Against Her In Her Campaign

A nasty primary race has made the congressional candidate tell the difficult story of escaping her violent ex-husband.

By Laura Bassett
    HUFFINGTON POST

KATIE PORTERConsumer protection advocate Katie Porter studied under Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) at Harvard Law School and now has Warren’s endorsement for Congress.

WASHINGTON ― Four years before law professor Katie Porter launched her campaign for Congress, the single mother of three was flossing her teeth in the bathroom of her home in Irvine, California, when her then-husband barged in.

Matthew Hoffman grabbed his wife’s hands, ripped the floss out of them and threw it away, and then punched the wall so hard that he shattered the faceplate on the light switch and knocked the lights out. He would later tell a judge he was angry because his wife had been brushing her teeth too slowly.

That was in April 2013. Porter and Hoffman had separated the previous month but continued to live together while they figured out what to do. Porter said Hoffman became abusive and unhinged over those weeks in a desperate effort to stop her from divorcing him.

He pushed her into a wall, threw things at her, called her a “dumb bitch” in front of their three young children and would bang so loudly on her bedroom door at night that she had to prop a chair against it to keep him at bay. She said he shoved their 1-year-old daughter across the kitchen in her high chair, threatened to kill himself and once held the door of Porter’s car open to stop her from driving to a school meeting.

Porter cried as she told me these stories in the basement conference room of a Marriott in Washington, D.C. It was mid-April 2018, and in a few hours, female Democratic senators and celebrities would descend on the hotel for the annual EMILY’s List gala. Porter was also being celebrated that night as part of the post-election wave of women candidates vying for office. A 44-year-old Harvard-educated consumer advocate, she was the first congressional candidate EMILY’s List endorsed for the 2018 cycle and has since landed the endorsements of Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Kamala Harris (D-Calif.).

I think it’s important that people understand that when real people run, they run with their real lives, and those lives might often include painful times.Katie Porter
    The daughter of an Iowa farmer-turned-banker, Porter grew up during the farm crisis, watching “the entire economy around me go to hell.” When she decided to run for Congress, she had been excited to talk about the things that inspired her: consumer protection, housing fairness, women’s rights, her menteeship under Warren. She was less prepared to talk about her own experience with domestic abuse. “I thought long and hard about this,” she said.

I did not know, thanks, my respect for her continues to grow.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,003 Times in 8,030 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

I have to wonder if Carson isn't feigning ignorance.

Especially re: the Oreo comment.

Maybe he just has a weird sense of humor which he employs while playing the old passive resistance game.

I just have a hard time believing that a neurosurgeon could be as clueless as he comes across as being.

Maybe Trump told him to "play dumb" and he's just doing an exceptionally good job of it.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!