Thread: Cohen told lawmakers Trump att instructed him to falsely claim Moscow project ended

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Cohen told lawmakers Trump att instructed him to falsely claim Moscow project ended

y Tom Hamburger ,
    Ellen Nakashima and
    Karoun Demirjian
    May 20 at 5:07 PM

Michael Cohen, President Trump’s former longtime personal attorney, told a House panel during closed-door hearings earlier this year that he had been instructed by Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow to falsely claim in a 2017 statement to Congress that negotiations to build a Trump Tower in Moscow ended in January 2016, according to people familiar with his testimony.

In fact, Cohen later admitted, discussions on the Moscow tower continued into June of the presidential election year, after it was clear Trump would be the GOP nominee. Cohen is serving three years in prison for lying to Congress, financial crimes and campaign finance violations.

House Democrats are now scrutinizing whether Sekulow or other Trump attorneys played a role in shaping Cohen’s 2017 testimony to Congress. Cohen has said he made the false statement to help hide the fact that Trump had potentially hundreds of millions of dollars at stake in a possible Russian project while he was running for president.

“We’re trying to find out whether anyone participated in the false testimony that Cohen gave to this committee,” House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) said in an interview. He did not comment on who, if anyone, might have instructed Cohen to lie.

Jane Serene Raskin and Patrick Strawbridge, attorneys for Sekulow, said in a statement that “Cohen’s alleged statements are more of the same from him and confirm the observations of prosecutors in the Southern District of New York that Cohen’s ‘instinct to blame others is strong.’ ”

“That this or any Committee would rely on the word of Michael Cohen for any purpose — much less to try and pierce the attorney-client privilege and discover confidential communications of four respected lawyers — defies logic, well-established law and common sense,” they added.

It is unclear how much detailed knowledge Sekulow had about the timeline of Trump’s most recent effort to build a branded tower in Moscow, which Cohen began in September 2015 and ended in June 2016, according to court documents. Sekulow joined Trump’s legal team after he was elected.

Cohen’s claims about Sekulow are laid out in transcripts of his February and March appearances before the House intelligence panel that could be released as soon as Monday.

Cohen’s closed-door testimony before the committee led congressional Democrats this month to press Sekulow and other Trump family lawyers who were involved in a joint defense agreement for more information about work they did preparing Cohen’s 2017 statement. Schiff has asked four attorneys to turn over documents and schedule interviews with the panel, a request they have so far rebuffed, calling it a threat to the long-standing protection of communications between lawyers and their clients.

[Donald Trump Jr. agrees to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee again]

In his public testimony before the House Oversight Committee in January, Cohen said that “Mr. Trump’s personal lawyers reviewed and edited my statement to Congress about the timing of the Moscow Tower negotiations before I gave it.”

More @ source
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wild Bill, I just have hard time with anything Cohen says. He is desperately trying to not meet Bubba in prison.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,183 Times in 13,933 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Wild Bill, I just have hard time with anything Cohen says. He is desperately trying to not meet Bubba in prison.
    Who do you think lies more, Cohen or Trump?

In fact, they are both habitual liars, usually motivated out of personal gain, problem is that only one of them is President

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Who do you think lies more, Cohen or Trump?

In fact, they are both habitual liars, usually motivated out of personal gain, problem is that only one of them is President
    Cohen is a convicted criminal. Need I say more?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

false flag didn't fly the last time either.....

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,183 Times in 13,933 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Cohen is a convicted criminal. Need I say more?
    The other guy being a criminal doesn't validate the lies Trump tells, he's President and his credibility is just about as low as Cohen's, "birds of a feather flock together," only difference, one got caught

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I dunno, I hear he will be working on his book & back stroke & getting out w/ good behavior..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    The other guy being a criminal doesn't validate the lies Trump tells, he's President and his credibility is just about as low as Cohen's, "birds of a feather flock together," only difference, one got caught
    That is all you have to know about Cohen. There is nothing else.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I dunno, I hear he will be working on his book & back stroke & getting out w/ good behavior..
    Prisons have changed a bit since my last visit I guess!!!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Prisons have changed a bit since my last visit I guess!!!
    You or I do a crime, we doing time, & not on the tennis court.....

These folks go to country clubs w/ all the amenities the prison system can provide..