Thread: I’m A Legitimate Asylum-Seeker, And I Support Trump’s Border Wall

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Exactly, anyone can find another individual to narrate a story supporting their point of view, called framing, and when found in a noted partisan site you have to question the reliability
    You can contact the author also. He gives a way in the article. See what he says to your questions about the legitimacy of it.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

A 40 foot tall, 2,000 mile long concrete wall is 12th century technology applied to a 21st century problem.

This is the 21st century. There should be technological capabilities, remote sensing, thermal sensing, drones, electromagnetic sensing, and law enforcement and monitoring strategies that are available at a tiny fraction of the cost of a gigantic, 2,000 mile long, big beautiful Berlin Wall.

A 2,000 mile long Berlin Wall is fiscally irresponsible, technically infeasible, and environmentally and ecologically deleterious.

No one I know of has a problem with some structural barriers in key, high-traffic areas.

No one I know of want to let criminals and drug dealers into the country.

No one I know of thinks we should not cull, interrogate, and investigate people claiming to want asylum to test their credibility and eligibility.

What a lot of people do not want is to spend tens of billions of dollars to build 12th century Medieval-era technology as a solution to a 21st century border control issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Aimée (05-24-2019)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yeah, but you're a douchebag 99% of the time.
    Thanks. I'll try to make that 100%, because your esteem is vital to my sense of self-worth.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    A 40 foot tall, 2,000 mile long concrete wall is 12th century technology applied to a 21st century problem.

This is the 21st century. There should be technological capabilities, remote sensing, thermal sensing, drones, electromagnetic sensing, and law enforcement and monitoring strategies that are available at a tiny fraction of the cost of a gigantic, 2,000 mile long, big beautiful Berlin Wall.

A 2,000 mile long Berlin Wall is fiscally irresponsible, technically infeasible, and environmentally and ecologically deleterious.

No one I know of has a problem with some structural barriers in key, high-traffic areas.

No one I know of want to let criminals and drug dealers into the country.

No one I know of thinks we should not cull, interrogate, and investigate people claiming to want asylum to test their credibility and eligibility.

What a lot of people do not want is to spend tens of billions of dollars to build 12th century Medieval-era technology to a 21st century border control issue.
    You have to much faith in technology. Land mines are still the best option and environmentally friendly.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    It is one person that sees it from a valid standpoint. If you wanted to google, there a very, very many saying the same thing. We are currently putting law breakers over law abiding people. That is fucked up.
    These are strange times. Lawmakers are in favor of lawbreaking...even reward those who do.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Sailor (05-20-2019)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    These are strange times. Lawmakers are in favor of lawbreaking...even reward those who do.
    That is what is happening here obviously right? What is so dangerous about all of this is law abiding citizen are eventually going to ask themselves, why should I follow the laws? Government does not care. Common sense in our politicians has gone bottom. Deep. Very, very deep bottom.

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,273 Times in 13,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

You can contact the author also. He gives a way in the article. See what he says to your questions about the legitimacy of it.
    Why would I want to contact anyone writing in the Federalist? I already know what they are going to say, it would be like you asking someone from the Daily Kos a question regarding a recent contribution

Don't tell me you are one of those people who thought Glenn Beck actually had a direct line phone to the White House on his Fox show claiming if he said anything untrue about Obama the White House could contact him immediately?

10. The Following User Groans At archives For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-20-2019)

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Why would I want to contact anyone writing in the Federalist? I already know what they are going to say, it would be like you asking someone from the Daily Kos a question regarding a recent contribution

Don't tell me you are one of those people who thought Glenn Beck actually had a direct line phone to the White House on his Fox show claiming if he said anything untrue about Obama the White House could contact him immediately?
    Obviously you think the man is lying. Put your money where your mouth is. This is not a third party article. One man wrote it. There is a way to contact him.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,040 Times in 6,231 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is one person that sees it from a valid standpoint. If you wanted to google, there a very, very many saying the same thing. We are currently putting law breakers over law abiding people. That is fucked up.
    And the wall won't change that, that's the point. Trump just wants a presidential legacy, he can plaster his stupid name on. Until that check from Mexico comes, it's not even worth a humorous attempt. Definitely not from conservatives, that always complained about wasteful spending. Whenever you get this spending crap from the right, they always take away from elsewhere. We all know what they'd gut, and all they need is an excuse. If they had the funds like Trump said, I'd be more then happy to let him do it. You may say I'd even enjoy it. Let the silver plattered life, Trump, see what happens when fat head plans don't bear much fruit. Giving Mother Nature the chance to bitchslap Trump, would be worth it. Get the money from sources other then taxes, and gutting it from elsewhere, and I'll start chanting to build the wall too.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obviously you think the man is lying. Put your money where your mouth is. This is not a third party article. One man wrote it. There is a way to contact him.
    Will you understand if he won't, Cap'n?

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Lizard View Post
    And the wall won't change that, that's the point.
    How do you know?

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What is so dangerous about all of this is law abiding citizen are eventually going to ask themselves, why should I follow the laws?
    I think that ship has cleared port already, Cap'n.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/20...s-border-wall/

This is an interesting view on what is going on at the borders. First hand experience. Posted in entirety. Please do not bother on commenting unless you read the whole thing.

Like many people, I used to think President Trump was exaggerating the situation at the southern border. Then I learned my application for asylum was being delayed to preference people deliberately breaking U.S. laws.

Like many immigrants, I came to the United States through legal means to obtain an undergraduate degree in engineering. I have been paying taxes ever since, from school jobs to internships to post-grad jobs. In fact, the United States was the first country to ever grant me work authorization, something I believed to be a privilege considering I was on a temporary student visa.

Everything was going well for me until I decided to leave Islam. Coming from a community that is virtually 100 percent Muslim, I knew I could never go back to my home country afterward. My decision to leave and criticize Islam publicly forced me to resort to asylum.

Once my attorney and I filed my asylum case, everything went well in the beginning. Within 45 days, I had my biometric services appointment (where you get your photo and fingerprints taken) and my interview scheduled. The interview was thorough and I was confident that the officer did a great job gathering all the facts he needed to help him reach a decision. At the end of my interview, the asylum officer gave me a decision pick-up notice and instructed me to come back in exactly two weeks to pick up my decision.

You can imagine how thrilled I was knowing that no matter what the decision was, it would all be over within two months of filing. No more worrying, wondering, and being in limbo. I was counting the days, until I received a phone call the following week informing me that a decision would not be made by the specified date, and sent in the mail whenever it is made.

It took me a few seconds to gather myself and ask when I should expect a decision. I was told they have no idea when and that the fact that I had legal status might be a factor in the delay since priority is being given to illegal immigrants.

I couldn’t believe that illegal immigrants would be given higher priority than someone who followed the law. It just seemed unfair to me that jumping in line would put you ahead. Hoping that the asylum office employee was mistaken, I went through United States Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) website. It indeed stated that longer processing times might be required if an applicant has legal status.

Realizing I had no choice but to wait, I kept checking my mail daily and calling the asylum office at least once a month, until I gained the ability to check my case status online. Since then, checking my status has been the very first thing I do every single morning. It has now been more than seven months.

My personal experience, which might disqualify me from being objective to some, made me dig into illegal immigration and its effects on the country in general, and on legal immigration in particular. If you had asked me two years ago, I wouldn’t have cared for the border wall debate, or even known enough to form and articulate my position on the matter. Like many people, I used to think that President Trump was exaggerating the situation at the southern border.

Unfortunately, it took me, a legal alien, being personally affected by illegal immigration to look at the data and realize that there is indeed a crisis at the southern border. The crisis is affecting both the American people and those who take the right, legal steps, and wait their turn to come to the United States.

Since I filed my case, about 460,000 illegal crossings took place. The vast majority of the crossers claimed asylum and basically got priority processing over everyone who filed their cases legally, myself included. If you don’t think there is a problem here at all, you must be living in a mental utopia, or are just too distant to see the direct effects of this crisis, as I once was.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not against honest Central Americans fleeing persecution in their home countries to claim asylum. I sympathize with their position and my case is not any more important than theirs. However, if they know they have a legitimate asylum case, they should file for asylum legally at a port of entry, as some do, instead of illegally crossing the border first to undermine the system in place.

That is exactly why I’m for the border wall. True asylum seekers will still be able to file for asylum at the ports of entry, maybe even in their home countries soon, if Sen. Lindsey Graham’s new asylum law package is implemented. A wall can significantly lower, if not eliminate, illegal crossings, especially when coupled with recommended, location-specific operational tactics. It would discourage economic migrants from making the dangerous trip, and it would certainly gut the smuggling business in the region.

A wall would also help U.S. Customs and Border Protection operate much more efficiently by concentrating manpower in areas where physical barriers would be limited, such as the Rio Grande River. Finally, and most importantly, a wall would save taxpayers money in the long run.
    Mahir Ahmed is an Ethiopian ex-Muslim, currently residing in the United States. He holds a bachelor of science degree in manufacturing engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Stout. You can follow him on Twitter @MahirAbramo.
    I don't understand why others would get priority over him......??

Affirmative Asylum Interview Scheduling

Starting January 29, 2018, the Asylum Division will give priority to the most recently filed affirmative asylum applications when scheduling asylum interviews.

USCIS’ predecessor, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, first established this interview scheduling approach as part of asylum reforms implemented in January 1995. This approach was in place until December 2014. The aim is to deter individuals from using asylum backlogs solely to obtain employment authorization by filing frivolous, fraudulent or otherwise non-meritorious asylum applications.

Giving priority to recent filings allows USCIS to promptly place such individuals into removal proceedings, which reduces the incentive to file for asylum solely to obtain employment authorization. This approach also allows USCIS to decide qualified applications in a more efficient manner.

USCIS will now schedule asylum interviews in the following order of priority:

First priority: Applications that were scheduled for an interview, but the interview had to be rescheduled at the applicant’s request or the needs of USCIS.

Second priority: Applications that have been pending 21 days or less.

Third priority: All other pending affirmative asylum applications will be scheduled for interviews starting with newer filings and working back towards older filings.

Workload priorities related to border enforcement may affect our ability to schedule all new applications for an interview within 21 days.

Asylum office directors may consider, on a case-by-case basis, an urgent request to be scheduled for an interview outside of the priority order listed above. Please submit any urgent interview scheduling requests in writing to the asylum office with jurisdiction over your case. Go to the USCIS Service and Office Locator page for contact information.

For asylum applicants who live far from an asylum office or an asylum sub-office, asylum offices schedule asylum interviews at USCIS field offices (“circuit ride” locations) as resources permit. Please contact the asylum office with jurisdiction over your case for more detailed information.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

I Support Trump’s Border Wall
    too late, Trump's already hired a shitload

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-ac360-vpx.cnn

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    And the wall won't change that, that's the point. Trump just wants a presidential legacy, he can plaster his stupid name on. Until that check from Mexico comes, it's not even worth a humorous attempt. Definitely not from conservatives, that always complained about wasteful spending. Whenever you get this spending crap from the right, they always take away from elsewhere. We all know what they'd gut, and all they need is an excuse. If they had the funds like Trump said, I'd be more then happy to let him do it. You may say I'd even enjoy it. Let the silver plattered life, Trump, see what happens when fat head plans don't bear much fruit. Giving Mother Nature the chance to bitchslap Trump, would be worth it. Get the money from sources other then taxes, and gutting it from elsewhere, and I'll start chanting to build the wall too.
    Did you feel that way when Obama and Democrats gave funding the build walls? Which they did. Why was it acceptable then?