Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buttigieg says 'media noise machine' took Thomas Jefferson comments 'out of control'

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default Buttigieg says 'media noise machine' took Thomas Jefferson comments 'out of control'

South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg told Fox News Sunday night that his comments about rechristening events named after Thomas Jefferson were "a great example ... of how the media noise machine on the right wing takes things out of control."

"You would have thought I had proposed blowing up the Jefferson Memorial in D.C.," Buttigieg told moderator Chris Wallace during his Fox News town hall in Claremont, N.H.

On Friday, Buttigieg discussed the Indiana Democratic Party's decision to change the name of the traditional Jefferson-Jackson Dinner during a radio interview on "The Hugh Hewitt Show."

BUTTIGIEG TAKES ON TRUMP, PITCHES FOUR NEW TAX HIKES IN FOX NEWS TOWN HALL

"I think it's the right thing to do," said Buttigieg, who added: "There's a lot, of course, to admire in his [Jefferson's] thinking and his philosophy, but then again if you plunge into his writings, especially the notes on the state of Virginia, you know that he knew slavery was wrong."

Buttigieg added that "we're finding in a million different ways that racism isn't some curiosity out of the past that we're embarrassed about but moved on from. It's alive. It's well. It's hurting people and it's one of the main reasons to be in politics today is to try to change or reverse the harms that went along with that."

On Sunday, Buttigieg pointed out: "My campaign office is actually on Jefferson Boulevard [in South Bend]" before claiming that he meant to say that "I think there’s a reason why Democratic parties, when we’re thinking about, for the future, our events, especially thinking about how burning of an issue something like racial equity is, we’re thinking twice about naming our events after Jefferson and Jackson."

"Basically, I said that we’re rethinking how Democratic functions might name our event," Buttigieg added. "Maybe we should name it for a person who’s living. Maybe we should name it after a person of color. I don’t know."

The 37-year-old then lamented what he called "this mentality that pervades the Twittersphere and its one of the things that we gotta get over in this campaign, is actually be ready to listen to each other. And I know nuance doesn't do great on cable or on Twitter, but at the very least we've gotta actually hear each other out."
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pet...out-of-control

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Grokmaster (05-20-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

what? I can't follow his yammering

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Grokmaster (05-20-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

On fiscal policy, Buttigieg pushed for four distinct tax hikes when asked about the deficit, saying he favored a "fairer, which means higher" marginal income tax, a "reasonable" wealth tax "or something like that," a financial transactions tax, and closing "corporate tax loopholes."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (05-20-2019), Grokmaster (05-20-2019), Stretch (05-20-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

8. The Following User Groans At Minister of Truth For This Awful Post:

tsuke (05-21-2019)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Grokmaster (05-20-2019), Rune (05-20-2019)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg told Fox News Sunday night that his comments about rechristening events named after Thomas Jefferson were "a great example ... of how the media noise machine on the right wing takes things out of control."

"You would have thought I had proposed blowing up the Jefferson Memorial in D.C.," Buttigieg told moderator Chris Wallace during his Fox News town hall in Claremont, N.H.

On Friday, Buttigieg discussed the Indiana Democratic Party's decision to change the name of the traditional Jefferson-Jackson Dinner during a radio interview on "The Hugh Hewitt Show."

"I think it's the right thing to do," said Buttigieg, who added: "There's a lot, of course, to admire in his [Jefferson's] thinking and his philosophy, but then again if you plunge into his writings, especially the notes on the state of Virginia, you know that he knew slavery was wrong."

Buttigieg added that "we're finding in a million different ways that racism isn't some curiosity out of the past that we're embarrassed about but moved on from. It's alive. It's well. It's hurting people and it's one of the main reasons to be in politics today is to try to change or reverse the harms that went along with that."

On Sunday, Buttigieg pointed out: "My campaign office is actually on Jefferson Boulevard [in South Bend]" before claiming that he meant to say that "I think there’s a reason why Democratic parties, when we’re thinking about, for the future, our events, especially thinking about how burning of an issue something like racial equity is, we’re thinking twice about naming our events after Jefferson and Jackson."

"Basically, I said that we’re rethinking how Democratic functions might name our event," Buttigieg added. "Maybe we should name it for a person who’s living. Maybe we should name it after a person of color. I don’t know."

The 37-year-old then lamented what he called "this mentality that pervades the Twittersphere and its one of the things that we gotta get over in this campaign, is actually be ready to listen to each other. And I know nuance doesn't do great on cable or on Twitter, but at the very least we've gotta actually hear each other out."
    Buttigieg couldn’t carry Thomas Jefferson’s briefcase.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Grokmaster (05-20-2019)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

On fiscal policy, Buttigieg pushed for four distinct tax hikes when asked about the deficit, saying he favored a "fairer, which means higher" marginal income tax, a "reasonable" wealth tax "or something like that," a financial transactions tax, and closing "corporate tax loopholes."
    He advocates progressive economic policy and he wants to purge TJ lol.

Makes him a garden variety lefty.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

anatta (05-20-2019), Earl (05-20-2019), Grokmaster (05-20-2019)

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

that's probably enough to cost him the nomination, as if being interviewed by FOX wasn't enough........

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Earl (05-20-2019), Grokmaster (05-20-2019)

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beto Omar View Post
    He advocates progressive economic policy and he wants to purge TJ lol.

Makes him a garden variety lefty.
    a telegenic garden variety -more dangerous then others

17. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Grokmaster (05-20-2019)

18. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

what? I can't follow his yammering

you not following isnt surprising at all

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (05-20-2019), domer76 (05-20-2019), Rune (05-20-2019)

20. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

He’s gay so Dems love him

Jarod in particular loves the Butt

21. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

Earl (05-20-2019)

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

a telegenic garden variety -more dangerous then others
    Meh, I don’t see Pete gaining much traction.

Biden is probably the most likely nominee. I’m also not sure whether the country is ready for a gay president and his ‘first husband’ lol? One of the problems with identity politics is it assumes the different blocs of ‘oppressed’ segments of voters will support one another at the polls.

Many blacks for example, are fairly socially conservative. It’s a virtual given they won’t turn out for a Democrat candidate [like they did for Obama] just because he’s gay. The same probably holds for Hispanics, many of whom are socially conservative Catholics.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

anonymoose (05-20-2019), Earl (05-20-2019)

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beto Omar View Post
    Meh, I don’t see Pete gaining much traction.

Biden is probably the most likely nominee. I’m also not sure whether the country is ready for a gay president and his ‘first husband’ lol? One of the problems with identity politics is it assumes the different blocs of ‘oppressed’ segments of voters will support one another at the polls.

Many blacks for example, are fairly socially conservative. It’s a virtual given they won’t turn out for a Democrat candidate [like they did for Obama] just because he’s gay. The same probably holds for Hispanics, many of whom are socially conservative Catholics.
    Biden cant win. the progs will burn torches at his feet first

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (05-20-2019), Stretch (05-20-2019)

26. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
    The nice thing about being a Republican is we never have to debate about renaming the annual Lincoln Day dinners. Democrats inherited the tradition of Jefferson-Jackson dinners, and, it's been quite educational. Also, fuck Jackson.
    I suppose that, in the Gents, you all piss on Lincoln's name. That's understandable - it's what you do every day anyway.

27. The Following User Groans At iolo For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-20-2019)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to iolo For This Post:

domer76 (05-20-2019)

29. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Biden cant win. the progs will burn torches at his feet first
    Good point lol.

AOC went postal after Biden said he was going to take a ‘middle of the road’ approach to climate change or whatever. That said, Biden has the double digit lead in the polls. It goes back to the civil war in the Democrat Party: the moderates vs the radicals. The biggest threat to Trump would be a Democrat opponent who doesn’t have The Crazy.

And that looks like Crazy Joe at the moment. But he would still be a weak candidate, imo. Just a bigger threat relative the rest of the bunch. And as you alluded to, it’s questionable whether the hard lefties would turn out for him.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (05-20-2019)

31. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    you not following isnt surprising at all
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

Earl (05-20-2019)