Members banned from this thread: evince, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.1, canceled.2021.2, CFM and reagansghost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trump’s Trade War With China Is Taxing Missouri Farmers

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The whole article is about the struggles he’s going through right now and he says no politicians care for him as a farmer. It’s why I asked the question I did.

I understand, as a liberal you think it’s in the best economic interest of everyone in america to vote democratic other than the top 1%. Pretty clearly not everyone agrees you. And regardless the election is not for another 18 months and no opponent has been selected.
    America is the most heavily propagandized country on Earth, they are brainwashed and uncapable of thinking for themselves
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    This country imports 50 percent of fresh fruits, 20 percent of fresh vegetables and 80 percent of seafood. We export soybeans to China. All exported soybeans are crushed to produce soybean meal for the country’s massive feed industry, mostly for pigs.
    I would think farmers could go back to growing this nations fresh fruits and vegetables. Americans would pay more, but hey, the food source would be here. Same with seafood. Anyway, those who are so concerned about the tariffs with China in this country could always step up to the plate literally and become Tofu eating mother fuckers.
    One day they might need to grow more fruits & veggies in other places as Calif is being paved over.. Sacramento use to be called Sacra-tomatoe & was the, or one of the biggest producers of tomatoes.... During harvest the sides of the roads were covered in them that bounced out of the trucks speeding down the highway......

Now those fields are houses & even we get most of them now from Mexico.. Especially in the winter & they are much better than the green hard crap grown in Fla..

It will prob take a while before tofu is popular in the farm belt....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

farming is Big Agra now -
    I think the subsidies go to them ( not sure) -but the small farmer can no longer compete

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Bill (05-18-2019)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That is what I keep hearing as well. Small farms can't compete...

There is an island out in the delta I use to bitch about a lot as an example of the gubment giving away our money..

The island is below sea level, kinda like a bowl, the feds guarantee the levees propping it up, & kayaking around it I could see it was in constant need of repair, as it was sinking.. & on top of that expense they were growing some tomatoes & a bunch of corn-subsidized crop...

Now the island has been abandon & is now part of the Consumnes River preserve as part of the conservatory held by about 20 groups/orgs & the gov...... Including ducks unlimited, BLM etc.....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    One day they might need to grow more fruits & veggies in other places as Calif is being paved over.. Sacramento use to be called Sacra-tomatoe & was the, or one of the biggest producers of tomatoes.... During harvest the sides of the roads were covered in them that bounced out of the trucks speeding down the highway......

Now those fields are houses & even we get most of them now from Mexico.. Especially in the winter & they are much better than the green hard crap grown in Fla..

It will prob take a while before tofu is popular in the farm belt....
    I’m a Nor Cal guy but wasn’t a lot of So Cal farm land as well back in the day? Hence “Orange” county?

I met a bunch of Newport Beach kids at ‘SC and they talked about that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Bill (05-19-2019)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    All Missouri farmers do not grow soybeans...or JUST soybeans.

U.S. Hog Prices Boosted by China’s African Swine Fever

U.S. hog prices have surged the past few weeks on signs that Chinese buyers have turned to the U.S. to make up for the dwindling of China’s pig herds because of African swine fever (ASF), said a Wall Street Journal (WSJ) article on March 27. U.S. hog futures prices have rocketed nearly 50% higher in the past month, as expectations rose that China would use American imports to fulfill its pork supply needs.

Missouri did almost $800 MILLION in pork products LAST YEAR...that will RISE CONSDERABLY THIS YEAR...."Mr.Cordes" (likely LOCAL DEMOCRAT OPERATIVE) notwithstanding...….

https://www.agweb.com/article/us-hog...n-swine-fever/

WHAT HAPPENED TO "MR.CORDES" in 2015, when MISSOURI SOY PRODUCTION DROPPED BY OVER 30% ??
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scm...n-pork-biggest

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Rune (05-19-2019)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I admit I know almost nothing about farming so I speak with ignorance on the subject. The gentlemen writing the article said he feels politicians don't look out for farmers.

From my perspective I thought we've had massive farm subsidies for a long time that were always a bi-partisan thing. Am I wrong on that?

Trump’s Trade War With China Is Taxing Missouri Farmers

My patriotic friends and neighbors support the president, but they’ve given about all they can.

Tarkio, Mo.

“My family has owned our farm for 116 years,” says Roger Cordes, a farmer in central Missouri’s Pettis County. “I don’t want to be the one to lose it.” Trade wars may be easy to win, but even “easy” wars have casualties.

It’s been a tough year on U.S. farms. The loss of the Chinese market and historic flooding in much of the Midwest have hit farmers hard. Planting has been delayed everywhere by wet, cold weather, and last week’s collapse of the trade talks with China and the imposition of another round of tariffs by President Trump has led to a rout in the commodity markets. The Bloomberg Grains Subindex Total Return—composed of futures contracts on corn, soybeans and wheat—hit a 42-year low May 11.

The CEO of Revere Plastics Systems, a supplier to the washing-machine producer Whirlpool, recently told MSNBC that his business is booming because of tariffs. It’s good to know someone is benefiting. The story is somewhat different in my part of the world.

Atchison County, my small farming community in northwest Missouri, is home to about 5,000 people. One hundred thousand acres of soybeans are planted here each year. The drop in soybean prices has meant a loss of around $100 in potential income on each of those acres. Atchison County farmers will be looking at a decline of $10 million in gross income this year, or about $2,000 per capita. We won’t be buying many Whirlpool washers.

Supporters of the tariffs begin each conversation with a litany of Chinese wrongs. They say China ignores the rules governing international trade and is at best a geopolitical rival and maybe something far worse. It’s true that the U.S. response to China’s bad behavior has been inadequate. Yet rarely does the conversation move to Canada, Mexico or South Korea, other formerly reliable customers for U.S. agricultural products that have also become targets in Mr. Trump’s world-wide trade war.

Mr. Cordes, a lifelong Republican, is worried about China as well. But he’s also worried about having to take out a mortgage on his farm so he can plant this year’s crop and feed his family. The economic reality has dimmed his ardor for trade wars.

I’d like to stop China’s abuses too, but I’m more concerned with my farm’s financial future. My family produces 150,000 bushels of soybeans a year, but with the price bottoming out, we expect to take a $250,000 hit to our gross income in 2019. Farmers are patriotic. We love our country and don’t want to see it cheated. But we’ve given about as much to this battle as we are able.

Tariffs are a tax on U.S. consumers. We already tax ourselves to belong to international organizations that are supposed to enforce trading rules, as well as to fund the U.S. military, the State Department, intelligence organizations and a legal system that has tools to enforce laws against industrial espionage. All these institutions are better suited than Midwestern soybean growers to take on China’s bad behavior.

Moreover, America’s diplomacy and law-enforcement bodies are funded according to tax laws passed by Congress. Tariffs are imposed unilaterally by the executive—even as they destroy the economic future of farms and other export-dependent businesses.

Journalists never tire of writing with amazement (and no small amount of condescension) about the continuing support for President Trump among farmers and other rural citizens. It’s much easier to understand here on the farm. Mr. Trump so often says and does things that make perfect cultural sense to those of us who live far from the coasts. He can and should continue to count on overwhelming support from the heartland as he approaches the 2020 election.

After all, there is no support for a world-class agriculture sector among his likely opponents. Both Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris have recently sworn their opposition to the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, a trade pact that would improve relations with our top two markets for farm products.

At least part of the frustration felt by my neighbors is the feeling that no one in politics is looking out for our interests. Republicans and Democrats alike are pursuing policies that will shrink the size of our agricultural economy. Mr. Cordes won’t be the only farmer to see 100 years of history fall victim to a war that was neither easy nor necessary.

Mr. Hurst is a corn, soybean and greenhouse farmer.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-...d=hp_opin_pos3
    Hey Mr Freetrader. What is your solution to China’s abuses

Spell it out for us

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

newsflash: our entire manufacturing base and the jobs that go with it has been disappeared over the the last fourty years.

of course corporations don't care.

stop kissing corporate ass. you don't give a shit about farmers.

farmer pain is fresh. that's all.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    That is what I keep hearing as well. Small farms can't compete...
    do the math.......when I was growing up we raised about 5000 hogs a year.......today there are operations that raise 500k hogs a year.....what happens when profits are $1 per hog......

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
    "It’s been a tough year on U.S. farms. The loss of the Chinese market and historic flooding in much of the Midwest have hit farmers hard. Planting has been delayed everywhere by wet, cold weather."

It's not so bad having nothing to sell, but it's horrible to not have anyone to sell what you don't have?

trumps tariffs are costing Americans 1.4 billion a month

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    trumps tariffs are costing Americans 1.4 billion a month
    What was the trade imbalance costing us?

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    do the math.......when I was growing up we raised about 5000 hogs a year.......today there are operations that raise 500k hogs a year.....what happens when profits are $1 per hog......
    Lean hogs have been doing well of late.

When I was in Iowa there were several small timers raising them & doing pretty well, better than those growing corn for ethanol..

Their neighbors are not happy about it though..

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    All Missouri farmers do not grow soybeans...or JUST soybeans.

U.S. Hog Prices Boosted by China’s African Swine Fever

U.S. hog prices have surged the past few weeks on signs that Chinese buyers have turned to the U.S. to make up for the dwindling of China’s pig herds because of African swine fever (ASF), said a Wall Street Journal (WSJ) article on March 27. U.S. hog futures prices have rocketed nearly 50% higher in the past month, as expectations rose that China would use American imports to fulfill its pork supply needs.

Missouri did almost $800 MILLION in pork products LAST YEAR...that will RISE CONSDERABLY THIS YEAR...."Mr.Cordes" (likely LOCAL DEMOCRAT OPERATIVE) notwithstanding...….

https://www.agweb.com/article/us-hog...n-swine-fever/

WHAT HAPPENED TO "MR.CORDES" in 2015, when MISSOURI SOY PRODUCTION DROPPED BY OVER 30% ??
    No comment on topic?
    Loser
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    farming is Big Agra now -
    I think the subsidies go to them ( not sure) -but the small farmer can no longer compete
    The OP is not a small farmer, retard.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.