Members banned from this thread: evince, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.1, canceled.2021.2, CFM and reagansghost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump’s Trade War With China Is Taxing Missouri Farmers

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Trump’s Trade War With China Is Taxing Missouri Farmers

I admit I know almost nothing about farming so I speak with ignorance on the subject. The gentlemen writing the article said he feels politicians don't look out for farmers.

From my perspective I thought we've had massive farm subsidies for a long time that were always a bi-partisan thing. Am I wrong on that?

Trump’s Trade War With China Is Taxing Missouri Farmers

My patriotic friends and neighbors support the president, but they’ve given about all they can.

Tarkio, Mo.

“My family has owned our farm for 116 years,” says Roger Cordes, a farmer in central Missouri’s Pettis County. “I don’t want to be the one to lose it.” Trade wars may be easy to win, but even “easy” wars have casualties.

It’s been a tough year on U.S. farms. The loss of the Chinese market and historic flooding in much of the Midwest have hit farmers hard. Planting has been delayed everywhere by wet, cold weather, and last week’s collapse of the trade talks with China and the imposition of another round of tariffs by President Trump has led to a rout in the commodity markets. The Bloomberg Grains Subindex Total Return—composed of futures contracts on corn, soybeans and wheat—hit a 42-year low May 11.

The CEO of Revere Plastics Systems, a supplier to the washing-machine producer Whirlpool, recently told MSNBC that his business is booming because of tariffs. It’s good to know someone is benefiting. The story is somewhat different in my part of the world.

Atchison County, my small farming community in northwest Missouri, is home to about 5,000 people. One hundred thousand acres of soybeans are planted here each year. The drop in soybean prices has meant a loss of around $100 in potential income on each of those acres. Atchison County farmers will be looking at a decline of $10 million in gross income this year, or about $2,000 per capita. We won’t be buying many Whirlpool washers.

Supporters of the tariffs begin each conversation with a litany of Chinese wrongs. They say China ignores the rules governing international trade and is at best a geopolitical rival and maybe something far worse. It’s true that the U.S. response to China’s bad behavior has been inadequate. Yet rarely does the conversation move to Canada, Mexico or South Korea, other formerly reliable customers for U.S. agricultural products that have also become targets in Mr. Trump’s world-wide trade war.

Mr. Cordes, a lifelong Republican, is worried about China as well. But he’s also worried about having to take out a mortgage on his farm so he can plant this year’s crop and feed his family. The economic reality has dimmed his ardor for trade wars.

I’d like to stop China’s abuses too, but I’m more concerned with my farm’s financial future. My family produces 150,000 bushels of soybeans a year, but with the price bottoming out, we expect to take a $250,000 hit to our gross income in 2019. Farmers are patriotic. We love our country and don’t want to see it cheated. But we’ve given about as much to this battle as we are able.

Tariffs are a tax on U.S. consumers. We already tax ourselves to belong to international organizations that are supposed to enforce trading rules, as well as to fund the U.S. military, the State Department, intelligence organizations and a legal system that has tools to enforce laws against industrial espionage. All these institutions are better suited than Midwestern soybean growers to take on China’s bad behavior.

Moreover, America’s diplomacy and law-enforcement bodies are funded according to tax laws passed by Congress. Tariffs are imposed unilaterally by the executive—even as they destroy the economic future of farms and other export-dependent businesses.

Journalists never tire of writing with amazement (and no small amount of condescension) about the continuing support for President Trump among farmers and other rural citizens. It’s much easier to understand here on the farm. Mr. Trump so often says and does things that make perfect cultural sense to those of us who live far from the coasts. He can and should continue to count on overwhelming support from the heartland as he approaches the 2020 election.

After all, there is no support for a world-class agriculture sector among his likely opponents. Both Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris have recently sworn their opposition to the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, a trade pact that would improve relations with our top two markets for farm products.

At least part of the frustration felt by my neighbors is the feeling that no one in politics is looking out for our interests. Republicans and Democrats alike are pursuing policies that will shrink the size of our agricultural economy. Mr. Cordes won’t be the only farmer to see 100 years of history fall victim to a war that was neither easy nor necessary.

Mr. Hurst is a corn, soybean and greenhouse farmer.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-...d=hp_opin_pos3

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

It’s true that the U.S. response to China’s bad behavior has been inadequate. Yet rarely does the conversation move to Canada, Mexico or South Korea, other formerly reliable customers for U.S. agricultural products that have also become targets in Mr. Trump’s world-wide trade war.
    what is he talking about?
    just yesterday all tariffs were removed on aluminum and steel from NAFTA countries -
    even Justin Trudeau praised it,and Grassley wanted it -increasing the chances of USMCA (NAFTA 2) getting thru Congress ( except Pelosi of course)

Trump has been paying farmers for some losses. Soybean prices are crashing as well as the tariffs themselves.
    ~~

Here's a question:
    if we can't get China to stop cheating on IP theft and trade barriers -when we will ever be able to do so?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,614 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

All Missouri farmers do not grow soybeans...or JUST soybeans.

U.S. Hog Prices Boosted by China’s African Swine Fever

U.S. hog prices have surged the past few weeks on signs that Chinese buyers have turned to the U.S. to make up for the dwindling of China’s pig herds because of African swine fever (ASF), said a Wall Street Journal (WSJ) article on March 27. U.S. hog futures prices have rocketed nearly 50% higher in the past month, as expectations rose that China would use American imports to fulfill its pork supply needs.

Missouri did almost $800 MILLION in pork products LAST YEAR...that will RISE CONSDERABLY THIS YEAR...."Mr.Cordes" (likely LOCAL DEMOCRAT OPERATIVE) notwithstanding...….

https://www.agweb.com/article/us-hog...n-swine-fever/

WHAT HAPPENED TO "MR.CORDES" in 2015, when MISSOURI SOY PRODUCTION DROPPED BY OVER 30% ??
    Last edited by Grokmaster; 05-18-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

After all, there is no support for a world-class agriculture sector among his likely opponents. Both Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris have recently sworn their opposition to the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, a trade pact that would improve relations with our top two markets for farm products
    WTF is wrong with these nutbags??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Grokmaster (05-18-2019)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

I also know little regarding farming, but historically farmers have always been crying the blues, so there must be some validity to it, but if it is that bad why do some stay in it as a profession. The "family farm" is seemingly always being threatened. I'd be guessing, but I think it is a feast or famine situation, risk reward type thing

What I don't understand is what is a farm anymore. Everyone has this traditional image of the family farm as a small localized entity but apparently it is anything but small and even includes corporate efforts.

And not to get partisan as I know you dislike, but the guy complains about the economics involved regarding his position but then adds he supports Trump because "so often says and does things that make perfect cultural sense to those of us who live far from the coasts," meaning he has no idea what he is talking about

7. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Bill (05-18-2019)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,614 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    I also know little regarding farming, but historically farmers have always been crying the blues, so there must be some validity to it, but if it is that bad why do some stay in it as a profession. The "family farm" is seemingly always being threatened. I'd be guessing, but I think it is a feast or famine situation, risk reward type thing

What I don't understand is what is a farm anymore. Everyone has this traditional image of the family farm as a small localized entity but apparently it is anything but small and even includes corporate efforts.

And not to get partisan as I know you dislike, but the guy complains about the economics involved regarding his position but then adds he supports Trump because "so often says and does things that make perfect cultural sense to those of us who live far from the coasts," meaning he has no idea what he is talking about
    More of your highly (self) vaunted "MIND READING" skills...
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The author addresses the political when he says he doesn’t think trump’s opponents are looking out for him and other farmers either. I didn’t post this over who they vote for I’m curious about the his idea that politicians don’t look out for farmers when I thought we had these massive bi-partisan farm bills which were basically a lot of corporate welfare. (To restate, that’s my perception but it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s correct. I’d love to hear from anyone who may know better)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

This country imports 50 percent of fresh fruits, 20 percent of fresh vegetables and 80 percent of seafood. We export soybeans to China. All exported soybeans are crushed to produce soybean meal for the country’s massive feed industry, mostly for pigs.
    I would think farmers could go back to growing this nations fresh fruits and vegetables. Americans would pay more, but hey, the food source would be here. Same with seafood. Anyway, those who are so concerned about the tariffs with China in this country could always step up to the plate literally and become Tofu eating mother fuckers.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    More of your highly (self) vaunted "MIND READING" skills...
    That't it?

No content and another corny copy and paste video? That's all you got?

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The author addresses the political when he says he doesn’t think trump’s opponents are looking out for him and other farmers either. I didn’t post this over who they vote for I’m curious about the his idea that politicians don’t look out for farmers when I thought we had these massive bi-partisan farm bills which were basically a lot of corporate welfare. (To restate, that’s my perception but it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s correct. I’d love to hear from anyone who may know better)
    Logically then it would seem he would conclude that Trump isn't looking out for him either, but he likes him for "cultural" reasons. It makes no sense

And you can google farm subsides and get your answer

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Logically then it would seem he would conclude that Trump isn't looking out for him either, but he likes him for "cultural" reasons. It makes no sense

And you can google farm subsides and get your answer
    I know for a fact we have massive farm subsidies, I don't need to google it. What I'm asking is if this guy is crying wolf claiming politicians don't "care" about farmers or for those in the know is what this guy does not included in receiving the farm subsidies that government gives out?

As far as how he votes people vote on cultural issues all the time. Remember "clinging to their guns and religion?" But that's not what this is about.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Sailor (05-18-2019)

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 232 Posts

"It’s been a tough year on U.S. farms. The loss of the Chinese market and historic flooding in much of the Midwest have hit farmers hard. Planting has been delayed everywhere by wet, cold weather."

It's not so bad having nothing to sell, but it's horrible to not have anyone to sell what you don't have?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobb For This Post:

anatta (05-18-2019), Bill (05-18-2019)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I know for a fact we have massive farm subsidies, I don't need to google it. What I'm asking is if this guy is crying wolf claiming politicians don't "care" about farmers or for those in the know is what this guy does not included in receiving the farm subsidies that government gives out?

As far as how he votes people vote on cultural issues all the time. Remember "clinging to their guns and religion?" But that's not what this is about.
    Sure they vote on cultural issues, but the guy is crying the blues over economics yet politically doesn't see the connection, apparently is a common theme in a large segment of the midwest and south

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sure they vote on cultural issues, but the guy is crying the blues over economics yet politically doesn't see the connection, apparently is a common theme in a large segment of the midwest and south
    The whole article is about the struggles he’s going through right now and he says no politicians care for him as a farmer. It’s why I asked the question I did.

I understand, as a liberal you think it’s in the best economic interest of everyone in america to vote democratic other than the top 1%. Pretty clearly not everyone agrees you. And regardless the election is not for another 18 months and no opponent has been selected.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Down with America
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34