Thread: EX-FBI LAWYER CLAIMS HE WAS ‘CONCERNED’ WITH STEELE DOSSIER

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default EX-FBI LAWYER CLAIMS HE WAS ‘CONCERNED’ WITH STEELE DOSSIER

Former FBI general counsel James Baker said Friday he viewed the Steele dossier “skeptically” and was “concerned” about the veracity of the document when the bureau received it before the 2016 election.

But despite those concerns, Baker was one of the FBI officials who reviewed the Carter Page surveillance warrant application, which relied heavily on information from the dossier.

The dossier, which former British spy Christopher Steele wrote, has come under intense scrutiny in the wake of the special counsel’s report, which undercut Steele’s core claim of a “well-developed conspiracy of co-ordination” between the Kremlin and Trumpworld.

Steele, who worked during the 2016 campaign for the Clinton campaign and DNC, alleged Page was one of the Trump campaign’s liaisons to the Kremlin. The first of four Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrants was granted against Page on Oct. 21, 2016.

“It was more information that we viewed, that I viewed, skeptically from the outset, and I was concerned about it and had a jaundiced eye, or looked at it with a jaundiced eye right from the outset,” Baker told MSNBC’s Chuck Todd. (RELATED: Ex-FBI Official: Fusion GPS Tried To ‘Elevate’ Steele Dossier By Spreading It Around Washington)

“Steele was and had been a source that we thought was reliable. He’s reporting all this information. It looks alarming. We took it seriously, but we tried to vet it.”

Steele first provided information from his Trump investigation July 5, 2016, but his reports reportedly did not make their way to the FBI team leading the Trump probe until mid-September 2016. The FBI was aware Steele was working for Democrats, and that he had told a Justice Department official he was “desperate” to see Trump lose the 2016 election.

Baker, who resigned from office in May 2018, is considered an expert on FISA. He was the top Justice Department official in the office that handles FISAs before joining the FBI. He has testified to Congress that he rarely reviewed FISA applications in his FBI job, but made an exception for the Carter Page application.

Baker said Friday he believes FISAs against Page would have been granted even without the dossier. He also declined to say whether Steele’s reporting was used to obtain other FISA warrants.

“Based on my recollection of my facts at the time…my answer to that question is that, I think the answer is yes, that I think there was sufficient probable cause in the application even without that information.”

When asked whether the dossier was used for other FISA warrants, Baker dodged the question.

“I don’t think I should comment on that, I’m not sure what else the government has confirmed,” he said.

“I don’t want to confirm or deny anything about other potential FISA applications.”

https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/18/j..._campaign=push

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Earl (05-18-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Former FBI general counsel James Baker said Friday he viewed the Steele dossier “skeptically” and was “concerned” about the veracity of the document when the bureau received it before the 2016 election.

But despite those concerns, Baker was one of the FBI officials who reviewed the Carter Page surveillance warrant application, which relied heavily on information from the dossier.

The dossier, which former British spy Christopher Steele wrote, has come under intense scrutiny in the wake of the special counsel’s report, which undercut Steele’s core claim of a “well-developed conspiracy of co-ordination” between the Kremlin and Trumpworld.

Steele, who worked during the 2016 campaign for the Clinton campaign and DNC, alleged Page was one of the Trump campaign’s liaisons to the Kremlin. The first of four Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrants was granted against Page on Oct. 21, 2016.

“It was more information that we viewed, that I viewed, skeptically from the outset, and I was concerned about it and had a jaundiced eye, or looked at it with a jaundiced eye right from the outset,” Baker told MSNBC’s Chuck Todd. (RELATED: Ex-FBI Official: Fusion GPS Tried To ‘Elevate’ Steele Dossier By Spreading It Around Washington)

“Steele was and had been a source that we thought was reliable. He’s reporting all this information. It looks alarming. We took it seriously, but we tried to vet it.”

Steele first provided information from his Trump investigation July 5, 2016, but his reports reportedly did not make their way to the FBI team leading the Trump probe until mid-September 2016. The FBI was aware Steele was working for Democrats, and that he had told a Justice Department official he was “desperate” to see Trump lose the 2016 election.

Baker, who resigned from office in May 2018, is considered an expert on FISA. He was the top Justice Department official in the office that handles FISAs before joining the FBI. He has testified to Congress that he rarely reviewed FISA applications in his FBI job, but made an exception for the Carter Page application.

Baker said Friday he believes FISAs against Page would have been granted even without the dossier. He also declined to say whether Steele’s reporting was used to obtain other FISA warrants.

“Based on my recollection of my facts at the time…my answer to that question is that, I think the answer is yes, that I think there was sufficient probable cause in the application even without that information.”

When asked whether the dossier was used for other FISA warrants, Baker dodged the question.

“I don’t think I should comment on that, I’m not sure what else the government has confirmed,” he said.

“I don’t want to confirm or deny anything about other potential FISA applications.”

https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/18/j..._campaign=push
    lol uh ok, exactly which part of Steele's intel report has been disproved

go...

4. The Following User Groans At reagansghost For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-18-2019)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

evince (05-18-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post

go...
    How fucked in the head and behind the times are you?? https://www.wsj.com/articles/mueller...ms-11555710147

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    How fucked in the head and behind the times are you?? https://www.wsj.com/articles/mueller...ms-11555710147
    Very, is the answer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Sailor (05-18-2019)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,626 Times in 10,690 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

And STILL the OBAMA SWAMP used it for an ILLEGAL FISA WARRANT...MULTIPLE TIMES....

TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    The first of four Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrants was granted against Page on Oct. 21, 2016.
    Carter Page quit the Trump team at the end of September 2016:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ef0caa49e941

Then the FBI obtained the first FISA warrant on him. That's a real sneaky way to spy on Trump, don't you think?

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post

Then the FBI obtained the first FISA warrant on him. That's a real sneaky way to spy on Trump, don't you think?

They had started the illegal spying in EARLY 2016...in London.

The FISA JUDGE (1st time) was RUDOLPH CONTRERAS , who then RECUSED himself AND disappeared.

The Page warrants were an OVERT ATTEMPT TO SPY ON TRUMP:

Trump announced Page as a foreign policy adviser in his campaign on March 21, 2016.[29] In September 2016, U.S. intelligence officials investigated alleged contacts between Page and Russian officials subject to U.S. sanctions, including Igor Sechin, the president of state-run Russian oil conglomerate Rosneft.[4] After news reports began to appear describing Page's links to Russia and Putin's government, Page stepped down from his role in the Trump campaign.[1][30] Upon his departure, Trump campaign communications director Jason Miller said of Page, "He’s never been a part of our campaign. Period."[31]

Shortly after Page resigned from the Trump campaign, the Federal Bureau of Investigation obtained another warrant (he was subject to one beginning in 2014) from the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) in October 2016 to surveil Page's communications and read his saved emails.[32][33] To issue the warrant, a federal judge concluded there was probable cause to believe that Page was a foreign agent knowingly engaging in clandestine intelligence for the Russian government.[34] The initial 90-day warrant was subsequently renewed more than once.[35] The New York Times reported on May 18, 2018, that the surveillance warrant expired around October 2017.[36] The FBI did not use a so-called "filter team" to prevent irrelevant information from being seen by investigators, although there didn't appear to be a rule requiring it.[33]

In January 2017, Page's name appeared repeatedly in the "Trump–Russia / Steele dossier" containing allegations of close interactions between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.[37][38][39][40] By the end of January 2017, Page was under investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Central Intelligence Agency, the National Security Agency, the Director of National Intelligence, and the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.[41] Page was not accused of any wrongdoing.[42]

It was ALL A PACK OF LIES...to "GET TRUMP".

And now the House of Cards is coming down...

Last edited by Grokmaster; 05-18-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

dukkha (05-18-2019)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post

It is, actually lol.

With a spy warrant they can surveil past communications. It’s not that are able to spy from that moment going forward but they can also go back and see who the subject was communicating with.

And in Carter Page’s instance they apparently found, nothing.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

dukkha (05-18-2019), Grokmaster (05-18-2019)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

liars can't keep their lies straight.
    Baker had previously claimed that the FISA was the "bulk"of the Application and no FISA would have been granted without it.

They are desperate -changing the stories and blaming each other -a Hard Rain's Gonna Fall on them all..

I'm loving watching the Deep State Creeps squirm *better lawyer up!*

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Darth Omar (05-18-2019), Earl (05-18-2019)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beto Omar View Post
    It is, actually lol.

With a spy warrant they can surveil past communications. It’s not that are able to spy from that moment going forward but they can also go back and see who the subject was communicating with.

In thru the backdoor -yes

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (05-18-2019)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    He isn’t very bright...or well informed.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Sailor (05-18-2019)

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    liars can't keep their lies straight.
    Baker had previously claimed that the FISA was the "bulk"of the Application and no FISA would have been granted without it.

They are desperate -changing the stories and blaming each other -a Hard Rain's Gonna Fall on them all..

I'm loving watching the Deep State Creeps squirm *better lawyer up!*
    Lots and lots of DC lawyers being hired now, I would imagine. They don’t come cheap either

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beto Omar View Post
    It is, actually lol.

Which was their EXACT, ILLEGAL INTENT.

The ENTIRE SERIES OF WARRANTS were based in FALSE PREMISES.

De Oppresso Liber

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

Darth Omar (05-18-2019)

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    The Page warrants were an OVERT ATTEMPT TO SPY ON TRUMP
    What political secrets did the FBI discover by spying on Trump's campaign, and what use did they make of them? (People with an attention span longer than a distracted gnat will recall that the FBI did nothing with Trump's political secrets, if they ever acquired any.)

But they spied on Trump, we are told - apparently by trying to entrap a nonentity (Papadopoulos) and putting surveillance on a bit player (Carter Page) after he left the campaign. As a conspiracy theory this is not impressive. It doesn't hang together. Hannity & Co. should be ashamed of themselves.

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post

go...
    Not how it works douchebag, shit has to be verified BEFORE issuing FISA warrants. There are actual protocols in place to ensure this. But I wouldn't expect a fifteen year old kid living in Gammy's basement to understand this. This is grownup stuff.
    Every life matters

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-18-2019), Grokmaster (05-18-2019)