Thread: Trump pitches 'merit-based' immigration proposal

1. #226 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    If you were in power Earl would you prefer to see legal immigration into this country increase, decrease or remain about the same?
    Since the average acceptance rate to Medical School is about 1 in 800, I would put the H1B Visa to zero. Plenty of Americans to fill those schools.

2. #227 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Since the average acceptance rate to Medical School is about 1 in 800, I would put the H1B Visa to zero. Plenty of Americans to fill those schools.
    H1B isn’t the only legal way to enter the country. I’m asking your opinion on the total number of legal immigrants that come to this country.

3. #228 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    H1B isn’t the only legal way to enter the country. I’m asking your opinion on the total number of legal immigrants that come to this country.
    Four (4) per year. Our cities are grid-locked with crime and traffic.

Four (4) per year.

4. #229 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Four (4) per year. Our cities are grid-locked with crime and traffic.

Four (4) per year.
    Four legal immigrants should be allowed into the U.S. each year? Interesting. That would be a hell of a battle to get selected. In this day and age we’d probably turn it into a reality show.

Who would you envision being the ones to determine who the four lucky folks are?

5. #230 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Wrong. Pittsburgh wants them, as I've said before.

"Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto said Friday he would welcome detainees and speculated that the city could have found homes for several hundred if the Trump administration had decided to send some to Pittsburgh.

Peduto, who has been clear that his administration will welcome immigrants to the city, made the comments after The Washington Post broke a story about a White House proposal to send immigrant detainees to sanctuary cities to retaliate against President Donald Trump’s political foes."
    Great. Give'm all a black & yellow towel and send'm up.

Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

6. #231 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Vietnam is a communist country and people are allowed to leave. Other countries are Cuba, China and Laos. What proof do you have that the people can't leave?
    Cuba
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Earl (05-18-2019)

8. #232 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The Chinese communists harrassed Russian ethnic minorities and kicked my family out, because they were purging the country of certain ethnic minorities.
    Which made my family stateless refugees.

Do you want to try a third time?

Please try to make a coherent, consistent, and principled argument for why you have belatedly claimed you want to accept refugees from communism but not refugees from conflict zones.

You have no idea what those people went through in central america, are not in a position to say, and I see zero evidence - none, nada, zilch - that the conflict zones they are fleeing from are exactly the same as the United States.

Another question I have: would Jesus accept refugees fleeing a central american conflict zone?
    Just do what you want. Take in anybody. Maybe go rescue some N. Koreans or something. You've got money? Go get'm all in here. Buy them all houses and pay their bills.
    Do something or else quit complaining.
    pain in abortion.

9. #233 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 410 Times in 377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Trump has BEEN BEGGING for legislation to update our asylum laws and build walls. either or both.

I assume you realize the real crisis at the border? there are the caravans,
    but there are also illegal crossing at the rate over OVER 100k per month
    You are a either a liar or are simply ignorant of the facts.

That number combines people who came to official border crossings and migrants who were caught by Border Patrol after crossing illegally. While current apprehension levels are higher than they’ve been in the last decade, they’re still way below pre-recession levels.

Most of those in your ridiculously inflated number are those who are knocking on the door and seeking asylum which is perfectly legal, they aren't "illegal crossings". what the fuck is a wall going to do to stop them? Nothing.

which is why we can't process them fast enough and they are being dumped ( catch and relase) all over the USA.
    Why doesn't trump hire more judges to hear these cases, maybe he would not have to just release most of them. He doesn't give a shit, he has morons like you trying to blame the left for it. The dumbshit wants to spend billions on a fucking wall when the ones he wants to keep out are coming in through the front door. How does that make sense unless one is an ignorant bigot. If we now had that stupid wall from sea to sea we would still have the sort of numbers coming in as we do now.

Pelosi has been calling it a "manufactured crisis" does that sound like it's not happening?
    It's only a crisis because we have a dumbshit who wants to build a wall instead of dealing with it. That is manufactured.

Her only goal is to throw sand into the Trump presidency - not cooperating on the border crisis or NAFTA 2.
    I never used to like Nancy but her "fuck you" stance with Trump has made me change my mind about her.

10. The Following User Groans At Port Tack For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-18-2019)

11. #234 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    I haven't heard a "good argument" - you can supply one if you'd like to
    Why doesn't trump say fine, give the dreamers citizenship and let me build my wall? They speak English, they pay taxes, they have jobs. They have everything that his merit based proposal is asking for?

I would hope the democrats would still say fuck you, no wall, it's a waste of money. The dreamers aren't going anywhere and it's only a matter of time before they get it anyway.

12. The Following User Groans At Port Tack For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-18-2019)

13. #235 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Port Tack View Post
    Why doesn't trump say fine, give the dreamers citizenship and let me build my wall? They speak English, they pay taxes, they have jobs. They have everything that his merit based proposal is asking for?

I would hope the democrats would still say fuck you, no wall, it's a waste of money. The dreamers aren't going anywhere and it's only a matter of time before they get it anyway.
    I already answered you on this. He doesn't care abou not giving DACA.
    but the Dems (supposedly) do,and if the Dems want it -they have to bargain for it,,

14. #236 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Cuba
    Nope.

As of January 14, 2013, all Cuban government-imposed travel restrictions and controls have been abolished.[55][56]

Since that date, any Cuban citizen, with a valid passport, can leave the country at will, without let or hindrance from the Cuban authorities. Visa requirements for Cuban citizens are administrative entry restrictions by the authorities of other states placed on citizens of Cuba. In 2014, Cuban citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 61 countries and territories, ranking the Cuban passport 69th in the world. Persons holding dual Spanish and Cuban citizenships are now allowed to travel freely, using their Spanish passport in lieu of a visa for countries normally requiring a visa for the Cuban passport. Moreover, ever since that date, the Cuban government extended the allowable time abroad from 11 to 24 months, allowing Cubans who return within the 24-month time frame to retain their status and benefits of "Cuban Resident of the Interior". Should the citizen remain out of Cuba for more that 24 months, then his status would change to "Cuban Resident of the Exterior" and he would lose his privileges within.

By this change, there is no longer such a thing as "illegal" or "unauthorized" travel, and therefore persons who leave Cuba via unconventional means (boats etc.) are no longer violating Cuban law, and therefore not subject to detention or imprisonment.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

15. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Cypress (05-18-2019)

16. #237 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Just do what you want. Take in anybody. Maybe go rescue some N. Koreans or something. You've got money? Go get'm all in here. Buy them all houses and pay their bills.
    Do something or else quit complaining.
    "Taking them in" is one of the dopier memes from the RW.

― Charles Dickens

17. #238 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

"Taking them in" is one of the dopier memes from the RW.
    The hit dog hollers. Or, in this case, the hit cat hisses.

18. #239 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A poor economy does not qualify one for refugee status.

We set the rules. Why? Because it’s our country, not theirs.
    No trump isn't going to set jack shit, his immigration proposal isn't worth the paper it's printed on. We will go about setting the rules after the next election.

19. #240 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    The hit dog hollers. Or, in this case, the hit cat hisses.
    Please, get it right. The phrase is "the one who squeals is the one you hit", no reference to any animals.

― Charles Dickens