Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump pitches 'merit-based' immigration proposal

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Port Tack View Post
    All those dreamers who have been here their entire lives have already assimilated and speak our language. If that's what trump wants, they have it, how come he did not say they get to stay?
    they are bargaining chips -although the Dems have thrown them under the bus before

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    they are bargaining chips -although the Dems have thrown them under the bus before
    So your president uses people lives and well-being as black mail.

What level of moral turpitude will your popular vote losing president not sink to?

3. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-18-2019)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Bill (05-18-2019)

5. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    So your president uses people lives and well-being as black mail.

What level of moral turpitude will your popular vote losing president not sink to?
    oh come on. we are talking IMMIGRATION LEGISLATION -in which the DACA kids are just another moving part.
    Just like asylum, just like illegals...they are all potential parts of any Bill.

Which won't happen anyways,
    because Pelosi doesn't give a shit about DACA -just TDS and denying Trump a "victory" < there's your moral turpitude

6. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump-304

Crooked Hillary-227

A landslide of Biblical proportions.

7. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

still haven't seen a decent argument against Merit Based Immigration *but but ...Trump!!*

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (05-18-2019), Stretch (05-18-2019)

9. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

oh come on. we are talking IMMIGRATION LEGISLATION -in which the DACA kids are just another moving part.
    Just like asylum, just like illegals...they are all potential parts of any Bill.

Which won't happen anyways,
    because Pelosi doesn't give a shit about DACA -just TDS and denying Trump a "victory" < there's your moral turpitude
    What you said about pelosi can not also be said about drumpf??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

10. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

still haven't seen a decent argument against Merit Based Immigration *but but ...Trump!!*
    might make a very good thread title??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

11. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

There are (good) arguments out there against the merit based system. Whether you agree with them or not is something different (unless you were talking about just this board and people not making good arguments and I get that).

I agree with you on the “but Trump...”. Many of us associate the idea with the person proposing it so even if it’s something we would normally support we will be against it if we don’t like the person doing the proposing.
    Last edited by cawacko; 05-18-2019 at 09:24 AM.

12. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Many of us associate the idea with the person proposing it so even if it’s something we would normally support we will be against it if we don’t like the person doing the proposing.
    That is a natural response, although perhaps not a logical one..

Supporting drumpf on anything is very distasteful for many, as was supporting anything Obama did for many as well.......

Although many highly disliked Obama, they love them some ObamaCare...

So I see no reason ppl can't continue to despise trumpf & just roll w/ the few things he gets right.

13. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    That is a natural response, although perhaps not a logical one..

Supporting drumpf on anything is very distasteful for many, as was supporting anything Obama did for many as well.......

Although many highly disliked Obama, they love them some ObamaCare...

So I see no reason ppl can't continue to despise trumpf & just roll w/ the few things he gets right.
    Obamacare is a great example. I’d point to the trade war and tariffs today as one as well. If a Democrat did what trump is doing many/most republicans would be rightfully apolitic. And if a Democrat was doing it I’d argue many liberals would fully support it saying they were standing up for the working man etc.

As this board clearly shows, and not in a good way, for many of us the person you vote for for President is like an extension of your family. You disagree or attack the president then you’re attacking my family and it’s a very personal thing and I’m coming back at you. When people have that mindset it’s easy to lose sight of the big picture.

14. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Obamacare is a great example. I’d point to the trade war and tariffs today as one as well. If a Democrat did what trump is doing many/most republicans would be rightfully apolitic. And if a Democrat was doing it I’d argue many liberals would fully support it saying they were standing up for the working man etc.

As this board clearly shows, and not in a good way, for many of us the person you vote for for President is like an extension of your family. You disagree or attack the president then you’re attacking my family and it’s a very personal thing and I’m coming back at you. When people have that mindset it’s easy to lose sight of the big picture.
    Exactly...

Very, very sad, & yet very, very common=the norm

We have both been on other boards & seen this behavior & it isn't exclusive to just political boards~it is universal..

I have seen it just like this on sports boards many times..

I have a neighbor that is an admin/owner of the biggest ukulele message board around & we were talking about moderating & I said he prob has no problems like I discribed & he says "Oh no, I have to ban ppl all the time", I laughed & he said they fight over anything & everything.LMAO!!!

Ppl see these choices as extensions of themselves & will defend what they criticized previously.. (my guy/girl right or wrong)..

15. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Hypocrite sanctuary proponents Pelosi and DeBlasio refuse to take the illegal aliens. NOBODY wants them!
    Wrong. Pittsburgh wants them, as I've said before.

"Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto said Friday he would welcome detainees and speculated that the city could have found homes for several hundred if the Trump administration had decided to send some to Pittsburgh.

Peduto, who has been clear that his administration will welcome immigrants to the city, made the comments after The Washington Post broke a story about a White House proposal to send immigrant detainees to sanctuary cities to retaliate against President Donald Trump’s political foes."

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

16. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Cypress (05-18-2019)

17. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Exactly...

Very, very sad, & yet very, very common=the norm

We have both been on other boards & seen this behavior & it isn't exclusive to just political boards~it is universal..

I have seen it just like this on sports boards many times..

I have a neighbor that is an admin/owner of the biggest ukulele message board around & we were talking about moderating & I said he prob has no problems like I discribed & he says "Oh no, I have to ban ppl all the time", I laughed & he said they fight over anything & everything.LMAO!!!

Ppl see these choices as extensions of themselves & will defend what they criticized previously.. (my guy/girl right or wrong)..
    Funny story about the ukulele.

I’m a huge sports fan and I grew up in Oakland a 49ers fan (the raiders moved to LA the year after we moved there so the Niners were the only team in the Bay to me) and Oakland kids wanted to fight all the time because they hated the 49ers.

But there is something even more visceral about politics. Think about it how many people (and there are lots of them) have said they won’t live near people who don’t think like they do. Politics takes what you wrote about the ukulele and sports and then goes exponentially to the next level
    Last edited by cawacko; 05-18-2019 at 11:12 AM.

18. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Try quit moving the goal posts.

Communism forces people to remain in that country. If they manage to escape, take them in.
    Civil War is...does it have to be spelled out? We had one. Remember hearing about it?
    Lawlessness and drugs? We have that HERE. Stay and fight, change laws, become a cop, work to make changes.
    Vietnam is a communist country and people are allowed to leave. Other countries are Cuba, China and Laos. What proof do you have that the people can't leave?

― Charles Dickens

19. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Cypress (05-18-2019)

20. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Trump-304

Crooked Hillary-227

A landslide of Biblical proportions.
    Yet he's still smarting over losing the popular vote.

― Charles Dickens