Thread: Trump pitches 'merit-based' immigration proposal

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Your Trumpkins ain't going to like that
    Truthfully, all this name calling and labeling does nothing to advance ideas. (Now I can be just as partisan as the next person and I've found myself supporting something because it was a Republican I supported doing it, not because I believed in what was being done. So I'm not holier than thou on this.) But so many of these discussions boil down to not the ideas themselves but rather are you pro or anti Trump. Pro or anti Democrat or Republican. Same as with tariffs and dealing with China. Former free traders now supporting tariffs and a trade war because it's Trump doing it. Former anti-free trade people who supported workers and unions and were fine with tariffs have now discovered religion on free trade because they don't like Trump.

But yes, I am a Republican and I don't support a wall. I understand not all Republicans agree with me. To each his own.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Truthfully, all this name calling and labeling does nothing to advance ideas. (Now I can be just as partisan as the next person and I've found myself supporting something because it was a Republican I supported doing it, not because I believed in what was being done. So I'm not holier than thou on this.) But so many of these discussions boil down to not the ideas themselves but rather are you pro or anti Trump. Pro or anti Democrat or Republican. Same as with tariffs and dealing with China. Former free traders now supporting tariffs and a trade war because it's Trump doing it. Former anti-free trade people who supported workers and unions and were fine with tariffs have now discovered religion on free trade because they don't like Trump.

But yes, I am a Republican and I don't support a wall. I understand not all Republicans agree with me. To each his own.
    A large part of those ideas you want to see advanced are only motivated by partisanship. For example, how many conservatives today would even be exchanging on Walls if it weren't for Trump's demagoguery? or those left of center responding to such?

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Your Trumpkins ain't going to like that
    what a bunch of CATO garbage - it relies on Trump's"big beautiful (opaque) concrete wall..

We are way past that - looking for tailored walls for vari0us locales

wall work around the world, there is no logical reason they wouldn't work here as well,as long as the design is good
    http://www.aei.org/publication/where...-work-part-ii/

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

A large part of those ideas you want to see advanced are only motivated by partisanship. For example, how many conservatives today would even be exchanging on Walls if it weren't for Trump's demagoguery? or those left of center responding to such?
    Have you stated what you support or think should be done on our border and our immigration policy? And I don't mean what did Trump or some Democrat proposed I mean what do you support.

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    We can find plenty of articles supporting and against a border wall. I like this one so I'll post it.

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...wall-wont-work

My position is clearly we need enhanced border security, a wall isn't the way to go about it.
    what "enhanced border security?" land mines?
    seriously you have no idea what's happening when sectors like Rio are getting hit with 1000+ a day illegals

Put up all the drones you want -they still have to have border patrol chase them down.
    what happens when they get caught? -they don't get deported, they get processed and released in 20 days in country. The ones tht don't get caught are in country as well

The only way to stop this crisis is to stop them from crossing in the first place = walls

The REAL SOLUTION is to change the Asylum laws, but the Dems are incapable of immigration reform

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Stretch (05-17-2019)

7. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 410 Times in 377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    correct. The Dems will never pass immigration reform -
    they would rather have a million Guatemala dirt farmers illegally immigrate instead
    Sure the democrats would pass immigration reform, just don't think you can do it without addressing DACA and all those dreamers, many of whom have been here all their lives. Trump isn't going to address them then he can use his new bill to wipe his ass as far as democrats are concerned, shove it.

I bet 99% of those dreamers can speak English and pass his stupid fucking test, how about saying they get citizenship if they pass?

8. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    I think a big merit would be that one would come to America with the ability to speak English, open a bank account with a year's worth of potential living expenses already covered, ability to pay for their own shelter, proof of being gainfully employed and/or not living off of American taxpayers. That's the way it is in most other countries.
    I think we should take apart the Statue of Liberty and ship it back to France and say thanks but we aren't using it anymore.

9. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Port Tack View Post
    I think we should take apart the Statue of Liberty and ship it back to France and say thanks but we aren't using it anymore.
    Good idea. The S of L is not our Constitution. We don't govern or make law according to a poem on a statue.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Life is Golden (05-17-2019)

11. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Scholarship?
    Escaping communism?

What's the problem?
    If escaping communism is an acceptable reason does that mean escaping a lawless anarchy bereft with violence is too? And if you are escaping communism do you still have to be able to speak English and pass this silly test?

Or is it just Hispanics from places like Guatemala that should have these restrictions because you're a disgusting bigot and would rather they not come here?

12. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Port Tack View Post
    If escaping communism is an acceptable reason does that mean escaping a lawless anarchy bereft with violence is too? And if you are escaping communism do you still have to be able to speak English and pass this silly test?

Or is it just Hispanics from places like Guatemala that should have these restrictions because you're a disgusting bigot and would rather they not come here?
    Learn the language and assimilate. We ain't modeling our country and changing our language to suit illegals.

13. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    The drooling xenophobic base will go wild with this happy crappy plan.
    Of course, it's the only reason he proposed it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Port Tack For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-17-2019)

15. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    Learn the language and assimilate. We ain't modeling our country and changing our language to suit illegals.
    There's a little irony in your post using "ain't"!
    Just sayin!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

16. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    There's a little irony in your post using "ain't"!
    Just sayin!
    Where's the irony?

17. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    ridiculous. there are still political asylum laws as you can see from the border crisis.
    The "Master Aryan Race" is pathetic -no comment on Hitlerism.

You father came on a scholarship if you had bothered to look at trumps proposal that would have gotten him in as well

Honestly you write the most far fetched garbage at times
    No sense in looking at a proposal that stands no chance of being considered. The dumbshit knew it would not be considered without DACA being addressed, why didn't he?

18. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    Where's the irony?
    Ain't,ain't a word!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?