Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: There was a school shooting but you’d hardly know it

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aimée View Post
    Oh, yes. Puppy dogs are much easier! LOL!

Well, from a parenting perspective, I can tell you that when kids get home from school, that should be a time to decompress and have a break from all that happens there. They can't do that if they are also being bullied on social media. I refuse to expose Matt to that. It's very heartbreaking that kids are turning to suicide as their escape from bullying. It SHOULD be a wake-up call to parents, but collectively, we are pretty stupid.
    My 25 year old co-worker was telling me his sister is a fifth grade teacher and she said there is peer pressure to have an Instagram account at that age. To me that’s like WTF?! I’m not smart enough to solve all of societies ills but I don’t see how having an IG account at that age is necessary or in any way a good thing

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (05-10-2019), RB 60 (05-10-2019), TOP (05-10-2019)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    I agree. I don't blame you for not letting Matt on social media. I will not join facebook or twitter myself. There weren't near the suicides or shootings back in my HS days, we didn't have cell phones either.
    No, once school ended for the day, we were completely done. We have a lot of things planned, including reducing time spent on electronics. We both have scooters, we be dangerous!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

TOP (05-10-2019)

5. #78 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,617 Times in 17,056 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

No, once school ended for the day, we were completely done. We have a lot of things planned, including reducing time spent on electronics. We both have scooters, we be dangerous!
    OH NO! You two on scooters? Just kidding I'm sure you two have a blast.

Many kids today don't go out and play like we did. We'd eat a light supper and out the door we'd go.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (05-10-2019)

7. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,632 Times in 11,620 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh, yes. Puppy dogs are much easier! LOL!

Well, from a parenting perspective, I can tell you that when kids get home from school, that should be a time to decompress and have a break from all that happens there. They can't do that if they are also being bullied on social media. I refuse to expose Matt to that. It's very heartbreaking that kids are turning to suicide as their escape from bullying. It SHOULD be a wake-up call to parents, but collectively, we are pretty stupid.
    Morning Aimee. Sadly kids are turning from suicide and turning to mass shooting because of bullying. The latest Colorado shooting is an example.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

TOP (05-10-2019)

9. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    My 25 year old co-worker was telling me his sister is a fifth grade teacher and she said there is peer pressure to have an Instagram account at that age. To me that’s like WTF?! I’m not smart enough to solve all of societies ills but I don’t see how having an IG account at that age is necessary or in any way a good thing
    No, there is no way in hell that an Instagram account is a good thing for someone that young. My son doesn't even have a cell-phone. He's in Middle School now. Peer pressure is incredible!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

leaningright (05-10-2019), TOP (05-10-2019)

11. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    OH NO! You two on scooters? Just kidding I'm sure you two have a blast.

Many kids today don't go out and play like we did. We'd eat a light supper and out the door we'd go.
    LOL! Maine hasn't seen nothing yet!

Same here. Especially when it was nice out.

12. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Morning Aimee. Sadly kids are turning from suicide and turning to mass shooting because of bullying. The latest Colorado shooting is an example.
    Good morning, Grumpy! Yes, that's exactly why they're turning to suicide and lashing out with weapons. It's heartbreaking.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

TOP (05-10-2019)

14. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I’m 46 years old. There was definite bullying going on when I was coming up but there weren’t these school shootings. Kids also fought but most fights didn’t end up in shootings.

Not a rhetorical question but is bullying worse today than prior generations? Or does it seem worse because it is happening on social media where all can see?

15. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

I’m 46 years old. There was definite bullying going on when I was coming up but there weren’t these school shootings. Kids also fought but most fights didn’t end up in shootings.

Not a rhetorical question but is bullying worse today than prior generations? Or does it seem worse because it is happening on social media where all can see?
    You are bullied now

16. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I believe children are more pampered than when we were children. I was taught to stick up for myself and not allow anyone to bully me. I raised my kids both in their 40's the same way. Today children are sheltered at home by parents who act more like friends than parents. Plus the PC idea of no winners or losers doesn't prepare children for adversity. And you are right social media goes home with the kids so the bullying never ends.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Aimée (05-10-2019), TOP (05-10-2019)

18. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Holy crap the problem is their parents are probably SJW liberals who probably bashed Christians and conservatives all day they were left wing loons and they need to be called exactly that, the media won't make anything big about it because they were criminally insane leftists.

19. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I believe children are more pampered than when we were children. I was taught to stick up for myself and not allow anyone to bully me. I raised my kids both in their 40's the same way. Today children are sheltered at home by parents who act more like friends than parents. Plus the PC idea of no winners or losers doesn't prepare children for adversity. And you are right social media goes home with the kids so the bullying never ends.
    I think participation awards are good till the children are older, then competition winning and losing can be stressed later on when children understand the nuances better. Participation awards encourage younger children to try new things.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-10-2019)

21. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am the same age as you. Social media has made it worse because there is never a break from it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

TOP (05-10-2019)

23. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I think participation awards are good till the children are older, then competition winning and losing can be stressed later on when children understand the nuances better. Participation awards encourage younger children to try new things.
    Phan
    That is good for preshoolers and up to kindergarden but after that starting say 7 or 8 then they need to learn that inorder to win you must do your best and that there are winners and losers in life.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

TOP (05-10-2019)

25. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Phan
    That is good for preshoolers and up to kindergarden but after that starting say 7 or 8 then they need to learn that inorder to win you must do your best and that there are winners and losers in life.
    Competitive sports is raising the age to 10 in a lot of sports. 8 is the age that children start to become less egocentric, it takes a couple of years of development to understand it isn’t all about me and understanding healthy competition.

Winners and losers in life is a harsh term because one person’s idea of success and winning may not be another’s. There are different measures of success.

Competing in sports is all about who comes out ahead in points, but no team is a loser if you gave your best.