Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is single payer healthcare what you really want?

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    My point, exactly. My late husband was on Medicare until his death; he was disabled. He was never begrudged any necessary treatments, medications, or surgeries. The only problem he ever had was with the drug formularies and how the Part D plan he had would willynilly decide they weren't going to pay for that statin but you can have this one over here, don't care what your doctor says. That was, of course, through a private insurer -- not the government. He was on an anti-arrhythmic drug called amiodarone for a year when they decided that nope, we don't cover that this year. There is no substitute for it. His EP doc would write them letters and argue on the phone, and give him samples to keep him going until she could get them to okay it.

You're right -- insurance companies are the real death panels.
    Oh NO!

That sounds dreadful.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    great argument for letting babies die because their family have no money to pay for SKYROCKING lifegiving care
    "SKYROCKING."

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFowlWoman View Post
    My late husband was on Medicare until his death; he was disabled. He was never begrudged any necessary treatments, medications, or surgeries. The only problem he ever had was with the drug formularies and how the Part D plan he had would willynilly decide they weren't going to pay for that statin but you can have this one over here, don't care what your doctor says. That was, of course, through a private insurer -- not the government. He was on an anti-arrhythmic drug called amiodarone for a year when they decided that nope, we don't cover that this year. There is no substitute for it. His EP doc would write them letters and argue on the phone, and give him samples to keep him going until she could get them to okay it.
    A Story for Every Occasion™.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You've been saying this since I joined this forum. You are NEVER right. Do you comprehend you are NEVER right? How can one not see when they are WRONG ALL of the time?
    She's an insane old woman, TD.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Everything you typed is complete and utter horseshit

There is no real clinical difference between statins. None at all. All are generic now. You can get zocor at Walmart for $10 for 90 supply

You can get a 90 supply of amiodarone at Walmart for $24

Liar
    I suspect she killed the poor guy for his money.

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,427 Times in 53,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Oh NO!
    That sounds dreadful.
    Thanks. He did okay though. As I said, his treatment while on Medicare was always top-notch and other than the drugs covered by the Part D private insurance company, there was no quibbling about payment.

I am a nurse and worked in managed care the last three years of my career. We heard the same stories over and over from ppl whose health insurance carrier decided they would no longer cover this medication or that treatment. All private insurers, of course. Their physicians would appeal to us; we were hired by those same insurers to oversee utilization review and case management. If we could not find a way to justify the requests using sets of written guidelines we had, we would refer the requests to our staff physicians. Often they *would* approve the requests if they were able to speak with the requesting doctors.

One of my daughters has MS. Her system develops a resistance to the MS med(s) from time to time, and she has to switch to a new one. Invariably the insurance company will say no. Her neurologist then goes to bat for her, and once again it's almost always approve once the docs talk to each other. The one she's on now cost $6,000/month w/o insurance. Who could afford that?

I don't buy the $arah Palin-promoted "death panel" lie oft repeated by those who are anti-nationalized health coverage. If there is such a thing, we've had it for years already. It's called maximizing profits for the insurance corporations. Take a look at their CEOs' salaries and see if you don't notice something.

This article also illustrates why the ACA needs to be revamped:

https://www.managedcaremag.com/edito...ce-ceo-aca-era

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Thanks. He did okay though. As I said, his treatment while on Medicare was always top-notch and other than the drugs covered by the Part D private insurance company, there was no quibbling about payment.

I am a nurse and worked in managed care the last three years of my career. We heard the same stories over and over from ppl whose health insurance carrier decided they would no longer cover this medication or that treatment. All private insurers, of course. Their physicians would appeal to us; we were hired by those same insurers to oversee utilization review and case management. If we could not find a way to justify the requests using sets of written guidelines we had, we would refer the requests to our staff physicians. Often they *would* approve the requests if they were able to speak with the requesting doctors.

One of my daughters has MS. Her system develops a resistance to the MS med(s) from time to time, and she has to switch to a new one. Invariably the insurance company will say no. Her neurologist then goes to bat for her, and once again it's almost always approve once the docs talk to each other. The one she's on now cost $6,000/month w/o insurance. Who could afford that?

I don't buy the $arah Palin-promoted "death panel" lie oft repeated by those who are anti-nationalized health coverage. If there is such a thing, we've had it for years already. It's called maximizing profits for the insurance corporations. Take a look at their CEOs' salaries and see if you don't notice something.

This article also illustrates why the ACA needs to be revamped:

https://www.managedcaremag.com/edito...ce-ceo-aca-era
    Not surprising. Thanks for the insight. I would take a look at health insurance executive salaries but I don't like to look at obscene things.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,427 Times in 53,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Not surprising. Thanks for the insight. I would take a look at health insurance executive salaries but I don't like to look at obscene things.
    LOL! Yeah, the only boobs in those pictures are the suckers who think that private insurance is the only way to go.

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

LOL! Yeah, the only boobs in those pictures are the suckers who think that private insurance is the only way to go.
    That is exactly what the rich and powerful want them to believe.

No need to think for yourselves, conservatives. President Trump will do all your thinking and reasoning FOR you. Just take everything he says for gospel. What could possibly go wrong?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-07-2019)

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

I can see why you began this copy-cat thread.

You got left out of Stretch's thread because you were too nasty.

I don't blame Stretch at all for doing that.

Too bad.

The original thread is more comprehensive.

A lack of civility has resulted in reduced ability to make meaningful comments.

We should all strive to be as respectful of others as possible here.