Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian Troll Talks

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Default Russian Troll Talks

Editor's note: Given the distractions and confusion caused by social media trolls we cannot confirm the authorship of this opinion piece, but we find its analysis interesting and at times insightful.

Zdravstvuj, I am one of those people you read about. We are phantoms to some who think knowledge is stable and real, we know better. First a little history. When the online comment and communications boards began most people had no idea of the power and influence they would eventually create. AOL chat was an early participant as was Yahoo, it was often childish and its format not open to propaganda and idea dissemination. Anyone remember Yahoo answers, it too was occasionally interesting, but the audience wasn't wide enough and we needed better directing and focusing, we needed to target an audience that would believe or even just doubt.

But something else was going on and had been going for a long time. Think Tanks (TT) formed a model for the control of information. RAND and Hudson began after WWII as bases of knowledge and policy, who could have predicated what they would eventually become? How thought itself could be transformed. Propaganda now had a platform, no longer just opinion, no longer on the sidelines, now the Think Tank confirmed whatever it was they were paid to confirm. Agnotology had a sponsor. Smoking bad? Global warming real? Doubt everything. Well not everything only those issues that challenged power.

Today think tanks are tools for the political, economic, and corporate interests - the interests of the monied classes. One could say mind control or people control. The writings and ideas of these TT are used for and by public relations and lobbying groups. Ask yourself, who has time today to read serious journalism when the mediasphere is everywhere and always on? Few do in the wider society. The next step was and is a marriage between Think Tanks and educational programs, breeding ground for idea control and the scholars and students who attended them. The Heritage Foundation, American Enterprise Institute, Heartland Institute, and the Federalist Society stand out. These institutions gave birth to ideologies, free market libertarianism, lower tax policy, big government as the problem. Nationalism ironically became a positive reversing its history. Betsey DeVos for instance is a perfect education secretary, an impotent head of a once important institution.

We can't take credit for creating the Trump partisan, but because they were already primed with an unclear resentment, we were able to exploit that characteristic in many Americans especially white Americans and oddly even religious Americans and Evangelicals. The ground work was done and while it was supported and financed several other developments were required for idea deployment. Ideology adherents were developed and ideas promulgated to colleges. University Chairs were established and programs developed. These are the idea people today who spread the news. Quite obviously there is a historic background for our country too. At first there was the belief that Communism worked a kind of Marxist magic. Some Americans and even scholars believed the propaganda, but it was just that. Statistics made lies real. Some progress was made. After all we launched Sputnik. Media control in our country can be quite harsh but let's not get too complicated after all America and other nations that can be influenced are our work place today. Russian history can be a footnote. Power wants its people compliant and confused and it pays well and keeps us working. The Bible was right concerning money.

We arrive at today and our role in creating beliefs, your reality in other words was a small step, the ideas had fertile soil. Some of course think they are actually preaching truths, everyone imagines they know things, but few know where the things they believe come from. Why believe this and not that. But let's not get too complicated. When you are a child adults tell you lots of imaginary things and you believe. Fantasies comfort. What's to keep the powerful from doing that to adults. Enter Social media, Facebook began in 2004, slowly at first but some deep thinkers in espionage saw its potential. Twitter in 2006. Combined with numerous radio programs and online internet sites, information travels everywhere and is repeated and repeated. Truth comes through repetition, advertisers know that, anything that makes our opponents look bad, be it only a phrase or an aside, is soon propagated throughout the social media sphere.

We have had lots of help from America and its media. Red State, Breitbart, Limbaugh, Savage, Coulter, Newsmax, OAN, and Fox media are only a part of the machine. If you can play on people's resentment, biases, and hatred you have a person who can be led. As political sites grew our work was focused on election periods. We created identities and supported people and platforms who sow distrust in the very words you read. We didn't need to create the idea of fake media, you elected a president who did it for us. Dark money and Citizens United gave us power too and face it Americans you vote. Your investigative journalists provided info on Trump, but social media and an obsession over H's email clouded the dialogue. Even your Republican elected officials defend our work in a matter of speaking. We targeted Red States and rural areas.

Remember too the Trump family is banal and crooked, they do not operate in a world of ethics, they hardly puzzle over their behaviors, they consider dishonesty just the way it is. We Russians love American words like crooked. They colluded and conspired but the Trumps are clever enough to hide behind American law and American 'Freedoms'. Add the 'The Federalist Society' which picks tools for the powerful and you have the ingredients for the eventual breakdown of democracy. Remember Hillary did win but America is not a democracy, it is a Republic and it is ruled and managed by an elite, both moral and immoral, always been that way and so long as we can distract people and money pays the bills we will play our part. If the senate can be managed and manipulated with republicans, the courts and judges can be too. Look at all the judges they selected what a win that is for the privileged classes.

We did not create Trump or Kushner or Miller or Kavanaugh or Parscale or Dobbs or Barr or Hannity, you did, your system did, and so while we use them they represent the amorality of your world. Winning at all cost is American as apple pie. Love your idioms. Some claim we are amoral. Listen people, many are amoral, Trump is amoral, do you really think he believes or thinks deeply about anything? Twitter is so much fun. Look at Steve Bannon, he too is part of the gaming of the American people, and folks should democrats ever get their message heard, we will twist that too and soon republicans will be looked on as really caring for America and Americans. You know, the values issue, wins every time. Notice we are already doing that with the ACA, aka Obamacare. We know where to focus, Democrats don't. Cultural location and religious belief - rural remote - are areas of dissemination, focus areas in other words. Just a matter of time and soon your nation will be like ours, controlled by the few. In many ways it already is, but one must not see that for the leader must promise the promised land and always strive to pull the wool over your eyes. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Allow a moment of commiseration, your poor working class will remain poor, your West Virginia coal miners will remain poor, your Southern States will remain poor, your rural areas will remain poor, but they will cheer and wear their MAGA hats praising a man who cares less about them than we do. Funny huh. Tribes stick together and republican policies are words not deeds. When single issues control your vote you are an easy target. It took time to make your government and MSM the problem but we had inside help. You see them on TV daily. Your middle class is now more similar to your working class poor. Of course most of your GDP is spent on defense and guess who gains from defense spending. You made your bed and while we may have helped, you vote we don't. 'Freedom' spoke. No job training in America today but lots of finger pointing. Of course USAReally and RT will help your media sources too. Information today is so flexible, it can be made up and changed in a moment. Take care.

Footnote: We must be careful should republicans and Trump destroy too many of the values and policies that have made America great. Americans could then return to realpolitik, a place where commonsense rules over ideology and created reality. Another FDR could again make America great as Reagan promoted even though he was created by the words of corporate propagandists. 2020 here we come. Good luck America.

Editor Note: The Russian troll's confession may be a spoof, we do not know. If 'they' return to comment we'll be open to their opinion. America is in a state of divided incredulity, but so long as the economy isn't crashing, anything goes. Trump rallies appear to be more useful tools for control than many had thought. Lies are truths, promises never kept, but the show goes on and on.

Russian trolls: https://www.recode.net/2017/11/2/165...ed-handle-list

The show goes on: https://popular.info/p/trump-ad-cont...ds-on-facebook

Or not: https://www.zdnet.com/article/putin-...rest-of-world/

"The function of law and theology are the same: to keep the poor from taking back by violence what the rich have stolen by cunning." Robert Anton Wilson
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-12-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ed note: Interesting that Facebook is paying attention to anti democratic, anti American hate speech.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...503-story.html

"Republicans, of course, cloak themselves in the rhetoric of freedom and necessity and express concern about future generations. That the beast they would slay ultimately translates to the lives of American citizens, including some of the most vulnerable who depend on government social programs to which they enjoy legal, political, and moral entitlement, is irrelevant. Hatred of government is a disease with them. They loathe common purpose and project, especially when channeled through the state. Their hatred of government, it seems to me, is tantamount to hatred of country." Steven Johnston
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Ed note: Interesting that Facebook is paying attention to anti democratic, anti American hate speech.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...503-story.html

"Republicans, of course, cloak themselves in the rhetoric of freedom and necessity and express concern about future generations. That the beast they would slay ultimately translates to the lives of American citizens, including some of the most vulnerable who depend on government social programs to which they enjoy legal, political, and moral entitlement, is irrelevant. Hatred of government is a disease with them. They loathe common purpose and project, especially when channeled through the state. Their hatred of government, it seems to me, is tantamount to hatred of country." Steven Johnston
    Let me guess midcan, with that quote you’re a big supporter of MMT?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Earl (05-12-2019)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hatred of government is hatred of country, yes.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    Except for folks like you who try and equate not wanting the government to do whatever it wants with hatred of government.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Callinectes (05-22-2019), Earl (05-12-2019)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Except for folks like you who try and equate not wanting the government to do whatever it wants with hatred of government.
    You are limping again. I don't hate government al all. And, yes, I trust it far more than our extremist far right.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are limping again. I don't hate government al all. And, yes, I trust it far more than our extremist far right.
    I didn’t say you hate government. I said you (folks who think like you) accuse people who don’t believe that government should be able to do whatever it wants of hating government.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Callinectes (05-22-2019), Earl (05-12-2019)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You do hate government, cawacko.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You do hate government, cawacko.
    LOL. Ok, you got me jimmy. I really believe in complete and total anarchy. We should have no government, no police and no public institutions. I don’t even think the constitution should exist because it supports having a government.

Credit to you jimmy for figuring me out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Callinectes (05-22-2019)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You do sarcasm poorly, but keep trying.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Libertarian tears ^^

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Americans could then return to realpolitik, a place where commonsense rules over ideology and created reality.
    the ONLY worthwhile thought in that screed

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (05-12-2019), midcan5 (05-05-2019)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Let me guess midcan, with that quote you’re a big supporter of MMT?
    I wasn't familiar with the idea or should I say the labeling of it. It seems, as the troll wrote, mind control is easy when ideas are simple and ? abbreviated. I actually started a list of abbreviations as even semi-retired I am busy.

But thanks I'm going to investigate it now as I found several links. Let you know, and I'll ask the troll for their take too.

"One of the things the tyrant most cunningly engineers is the gross over-simplification of language, because propaganda requires that the minds of the collective respond primitively to slogans of incitement." Geoffrey Hill

20. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-12-2019)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Regarding MMT doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I am not an ideologue regarding any grand theory, and in economics there have to be checks on monetary issues. The great depression and especially the great recession demonstrate what happens when accountability is lost. MMT OP below.

I wanted to add to the Troll's list the Cato Institute. Cato is another so called think tank that is ideology bound and lacks thought or consciousness of the consequences of their thought.

But I wonder too why no one has debated the influence our troll mentions regarding American input as a cause of Trump, nationalism, and inequality?

MMT 'The theory, in a nutshell, says that because the U.S. can borrow in its own currency, it can simply print more money when it needs to pay off its debts. All the Fed has to do is keep interest rates low. Simple. It's an increasingly popular idea among left-leaning economists.'

https://www.investors.com/news/econo...tion-spending/

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Regarding MMT doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I am not an ideologue regarding any grand theory, and in economics there have to be checks on monetary issues. The great depression and especially the great recession demonstrate what happens when accountability is lost. MMT OP below.

I wanted to add to the Troll's list the Cato Institute. Cato is another so called think tank that is ideology bound and lacks thought or consciousness of the consequences of their thought.

But I wonder too why no one has debated the influence our troll mentions regarding American input as a cause of Trump, nationalism, and inequality?

MMT 'The theory, in a nutshell, says that because the U.S. can borrow in its own currency, it can simply print more money when it needs to pay off its debts. All the Fed has to do is keep interest rates low. Simple. It's an increasingly popular idea among left-leaning economists.'

https://www.investors.com/news/econo...tion-spending/
    Not what CATO has to do with anything here. It's a free market think tank that pushes free market policies. Not sure how you think that means one doesn't think of the results of their policies.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Earl (05-12-2019)