Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian Troll Talks

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    Hatred of government is hatred of country, yes.
    You are limping again. I don't hate government al all. And, yes, I trust it far more than our extremist far right.
    I can name a list of prominent Americans who were highly distrustful of government.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Editor's note: Given the distractions and confusion caused by social media trolls we cannot confirm the authorship of this opinion piece, but we find its analysis interesting and at times insightful.

Zdravstvuj, I am one of those people you read about. We are phantoms to some who think knowledge is stable and real, we know better. First a little history. When the online comment and communications boards began most people had no idea of the power and influence they would eventually create. AOL chat was an early participant as was Yahoo, it was often childish and its format not open to propaganda and idea dissemination. Anyone remember Yahoo answers, it too was occasionally interesting, but the audience wasn't wide enough and we needed better directing and focusing, we needed to target an audience that would believe or even just doubt.

But something else was going on and had been going for a long time. Think Tanks (TT) formed a model for the control of information. RAND and Hudson began after WWII as bases of knowledge and policy, who could have predicated what they would eventually become? How thought itself could be transformed. Propaganda now had a platform, no longer just opinion, no longer on the sidelines, now the Think Tank confirmed whatever it was they were paid to confirm. Agnotology had a sponsor. Smoking bad? Global warming real? Doubt everything. Well not everything only those issues that challenged power.

Today think tanks are tools for the political, economic, and corporate interests - the interests of the monied classes. One could say mind control or people control. The writings and ideas of these TT are used for and by public relations and lobbying groups. Ask yourself, who has time today to read serious journalism when the mediasphere is everywhere and always on? Few do in the wider society. The next step was and is a marriage between Think Tanks and educational programs, breeding ground for idea control and the scholars and students who attended them. The Heritage Foundation, American Enterprise Institute, Heartland Institute, and the Federalist Society stand out. These institutions gave birth to ideologies, free market libertarianism, lower tax policy, big government as the problem. Nationalism ironically became a positive reversing its history. Betsey DeVos for instance is a perfect education secretary, an impotent head of a once important institution.

We can't take credit for creating the Trump partisan, but because they were already primed with an unclear resentment, we were able to exploit that characteristic in many Americans especially white Americans and oddly even religious Americans and Evangelicals. The ground work was done and while it was supported and financed several other developments were required for idea deployment. Ideology adherents were developed and ideas promulgated to colleges. University Chairs were established and programs developed. These are the idea people today who spread the news. Quite obviously there is a historic background for our country too. At first there was the belief that Communism worked a kind of Marxist magic. Some Americans and even scholars believed the propaganda, but it was just that. Statistics made lies real. Some progress was made. After all we launched Sputnik. Media control in our country can be quite harsh but let's not get too complicated after all America and other nations that can be influenced are our work place today. Russian history can be a footnote. Power wants its people compliant and confused and it pays well and keeps us working. The Bible was right concerning money.

We arrive at today and our role in creating beliefs, your reality in other words was a small step, the ideas had fertile soil. Some of course think they are actually preaching truths, everyone imagines they know things, but few know where the things they believe come from. Why believe this and not that. But let's not get too complicated. When you are a child adults tell you lots of imaginary things and you believe. Fantasies comfort. What's to keep the powerful from doing that to adults. Enter Social media, Facebook began in 2004, slowly at first but some deep thinkers in espionage saw its potential. Twitter in 2006. Combined with numerous radio programs and online internet sites, information travels everywhere and is repeated and repeated. Truth comes through repetition, advertisers know that, anything that makes our opponents look bad, be it only a phrase or an aside, is soon propagated throughout the social media sphere.

We have had lots of help from America and its media. Red State, Breitbart, Limbaugh, Savage, Coulter, Newsmax, OAN, and Fox media are only a part of the machine. If you can play on people's resentment, biases, and hatred you have a person who can be led. As political sites grew our work was focused on election periods. We created identities and supported people and platforms who sow distrust in the very words you read. We didn't need to create the idea of fake media, you elected a president who did it for us. Dark money and Citizens United gave us power too and face it Americans you vote. Your investigative journalists provided info on Trump, but social media and an obsession over H's email clouded the dialogue. Even your Republican elected officials defend our work in a matter of speaking. We targeted Red States and rural areas.

Remember too the Trump family is banal and crooked, they do not operate in a world of ethics, they hardly puzzle over their behaviors, they consider dishonesty just the way it is. We Russians love American words like crooked. They colluded and conspired but the Trumps are clever enough to hide behind American law and American 'Freedoms'. Add the 'The Federalist Society' which picks tools for the powerful and you have the ingredients for the eventual breakdown of democracy. Remember Hillary did win but America is not a democracy, it is a Republic and it is ruled and managed by an elite, both moral and immoral, always been that way and so long as we can distract people and money pays the bills we will play our part. If the senate can be managed and manipulated with republicans, the courts and judges can be too. Look at all the judges they selected what a win that is for the privileged classes.

We did not create Trump or Kushner or Miller or Kavanaugh or Parscale or Dobbs or Barr or Hannity, you did, your system did, and so while we use them they represent the amorality of your world. Winning at all cost is American as apple pie. Love your idioms. Some claim we are amoral. Listen people, many are amoral, Trump is amoral, do you really think he believes or thinks deeply about anything? Twitter is so much fun. Look at Steve Bannon, he too is part of the gaming of the American people, and folks should democrats ever get their message heard, we will twist that too and soon republicans will be looked on as really caring for America and Americans. You know, the values issue, wins every time. Notice we are already doing that with the ACA, aka Obamacare. We know where to focus, Democrats don't. Cultural location and religious belief - rural remote - are areas of dissemination, focus areas in other words. Just a matter of time and soon your nation will be like ours, controlled by the few. In many ways it already is, but one must not see that for the leader must promise the promised land and always strive to pull the wool over your eyes. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Allow a moment of commiseration, your poor working class will remain poor, your West Virginia coal miners will remain poor, your Southern States will remain poor, your rural areas will remain poor, but they will cheer and wear their MAGA hats praising a man who cares less about them than we do. Funny huh. Tribes stick together and republican policies are words not deeds. When single issues control your vote you are an easy target. It took time to make your government and MSM the problem but we had inside help. You see them on TV daily. Your middle class is now more similar to your working class poor. Of course most of your GDP is spent on defense and guess who gains from defense spending. You made your bed and while we may have helped, you vote we don't. 'Freedom' spoke. No job training in America today but lots of finger pointing. Of course USAReally and RT will help your media sources too. Information today is so flexible, it can be made up and changed in a moment. Take care.

Footnote: We must be careful should republicans and Trump destroy too many of the values and policies that have made America great. Americans could then return to realpolitik, a place where commonsense rules over ideology and created reality. Another FDR could again make America great as Reagan promoted even though he was created by the words of corporate propagandists. 2020 here we come. Good luck America.

Editor Note: The Russian troll's confession may be a spoof, we do not know. If 'they' return to comment we'll be open to their opinion. America is in a state of divided incredulity, but so long as the economy isn't crashing, anything goes. Trump rallies appear to be more useful tools for control than many had thought. Lies are truths, promises never kept, but the show goes on and on.

Russian trolls: https://www.recode.net/2017/11/2/165...ed-handle-list

The show goes on: https://popular.info/p/trump-ad-cont...ds-on-facebook

Or not: https://www.zdnet.com/article/putin-...rest-of-world/

"The function of law and theology are the same: to keep the poor from taking back by violence what the rich have stolen by cunning." Robert Anton Wilson

Unlike former Pres.Mommy Pants, who ordered our intel to STAND DOWN, and NOT INTERFERE with RUSSIAN MEDDLING, in the 2016 election. .

Trump approved operation that disabled Russian troll farm during 2018 midterms

The action against the Internet Research Agency was part of a larger effort to combat attempts to interfere in U.S. politics ahead of the elections.

President Donald Trump personally signed off on a U.S. military cyber operation that blocked internet access for a Russian troll farm during the 2018 midterm election, multiple sources briefed on the matter told NBC News.

The action by U.S. Cyber Command against the Internet Research Agency (IRA) — first reported Tuesday by The Washington Post — marks the most aggressive known move to date by the Trump administration to combat Russian election interference.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...dterms-n976381
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

Earl (05-12-2019)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ryan and McConnell were responsible for that, Grokmaster, but this time the intel agencies and FBI are ignoring Trump and Barr while they are going after the bots and trolls for these coming elections.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

midcan5 (05-12-2019)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Rudy Rudy Rudy, no need to go to the Ukraine for false and made up stuff on Biden, lots of American sources and Russians will do that for you. Twenty years of Hillary hate worked, so relax, American voters will be fooled again and Donnie John will reward the wealthy while his followers wear red hats and cheer baloney.

"The European Union presents a unique test: how to police billions of posts each day across 28 countries and in 24 official languages. Facebook has more users in Europe than in the United States."

'Russia Is Targeting Europe’s Elections. So Are Far-Right Copycats'

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/w...far-right.html

"European Union investigators, academics and advocacy groups say the new disinformation efforts share many of the same digital fingerprints or tactics used in previous Russian attacks, including the Kremlin’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign."
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

The OP troll writer says Trump supporters are easy prey for propaganda lol?

Who was it that got sucked into the collusion conspiracy theory?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (05-12-2019)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lousy impression. Obviously an American 14 year old. Selling as a relevatory insider take of a conspiracy when it is just plainly and patently true is silly kid stuff.

I don't need a Russian troll to tell me there are Russian trolls. I don't need one to tell me Russian interests are forwarded by right wing garbage "news"
    or a dimwit fool potus. I don't need one to tell me US think tanks are interest groups who misrepresent or overrepresent certain facts to change beliefs.
    Last edited by Micawber; 05-12-2019 at 06:33 AM.

10. The Following User Groans At Micawber For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-23-2019)

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,654 Times in 17,915 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like moveon.org

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,328 Times in 53,234 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Regarding But I wonder too why no one has debated the influence our troll mentions regarding American input as a cause of Trump, nationalism, and inequality?
    Because it is too painful to admit that you've been snookered. Here's a funny personal anecdote about that. I do not care for Apple products. I think that they are 95% hype that you pay more for, no different than $85 designer vs $25 no-name jeans made in the same factory. Mr. Owl has insisted for as long as I've known him that Apple (which I annoy him by calling "Crapple" lol) products are superior to non-Apple stuff. He has a Mac desktop as well as a Mac laptop. Lately I've been overhearing him on his laptop muttering imprecations while it makes the distinctive sounds of rebooting. He has now declared that it is a POS and his next one will not be a Mac. Our phones are also not iPhones because, due to his diligent research, he realized that the Apple hype is real.

So there you go. It's incredibly hard to realize that you've fallen for advertising. I'm as guilty of that as the next person.

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mac used to be superior only because the virus industry targeted PC. Now I agree. Still the apple stand alone-clean look
    with the guts in the monitor is a cool thing if you care about aesthetics in the work space.

I hate my Iphones, pretty much all of them. Apple software does not play well with other hardware and software by design.
    So I'm sort of hostage to those guys. Also, I suspect planned obsolecence (sp?) in the phones. While the hardware may be just fine,
    the software goes buggy and you learn tech support no longer addresses the product or has no solution. Happens too often
    to not be a design plan to sell the next gen. And good luck recovering your Itunes password.

My android TV wants and android phone to play with also as a remote. Another reason to get rid of apple.

I read that new folding screen phone was recalled even before it was released. Samsung maybe, not sure the brand.
    Basically a cool idea that doesn't work right.

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Come on folks, you need to enjoy the comedy America has become under Trump. A little satirical fun, sometimes deep thought and real understanding can be found in the oddest places. 'Our Russian' knows lots of our history and since they do I'll post a few excellent books at bottom for the inquisitive reader who wants to understand too.

And anyone who thinks Trump cares about the working class needs to read his history of treatment of the working class and take a psychology course on the appeal narcissistic leaders (see footnote) have on people. Jonna Ivin writes about his appeal in link below, and if you really want to understand Trump read 'The Making of Donald Trump' by David Cay Johnston. The entire Trump family is dishonest on so many levels. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...f-donald-trump

Ivin's OP here: http://www.stirjournal.com/2016/04/0...p-trump-trump/

If you genuinely want to understand America today, these books are excellent and they are all written by women which is interesting too.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nvisible-hands
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...their-own-land
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lyover-country

Footnote:

How do leaders come to rule over people? What conditions exist that make a nation deteriorate rather than excel? This book is on my reading list next as Russia went from bad to hope to ???

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...without-a-face

"Democracy is difficult and demanding. So is history. It can crack your voice; it can stir your soul; it can break your heart." Jill Lepore
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

How do leaders come to rule over people? What conditions exist that make a nation deteriorate rather than excel? This book is on my reading list next as Russia went from bad to hope to ???

what a bunch of crap.
    Russia and an infatuated West were determined to see the progressive leader of their dreams
    do you think Putin came to power because he was "progressive?"
    No doubt the west loved Yeltsin - an affable drunk who's campaign was manged by BillClinton.

Do you think maybe Putin came to power as a nationalist?? like Trump?
    Because of NATO expansion?

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

what a bunch of crap.
    Russia and an infatuated West were determined to see the progressive leader of their dreams
    do you think Putin came to power because he was "progressive?"
    No doubt the west loved Yeltsin - an affable drunk who's campaign was manged by BillClinton.

Do you think maybe Putin came to power as a nationalist?? like Trump?
    Because of NATO expansion?

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It appears the Russian troll understands regret as they conveyed concern over their words of blame and subsequently shared the OP below. In the opinion piece another author acknowledges America's responsibility in creating the world in which Donald John Trump could play the American people. The author calls it 'the great American hustle'. Simply the way of life in America for the privileged classes. The editors are in agreement this opinion piece should be shared. Excerpts below.

'Trump’s rise looks like a great American hustle, despite the international links. '

"Mueller demonstrates how Trump is merely a would-be mobster, worried sick that his capos are wearing a wire."

"It turns out there really is a “deep state” out to thwart Trump after all, but its operatives are not alleged liberal Trump haters in the FBI but Trump appointees in his administration—and when they secretly manage to thwart him, they shield him from prison."

"“They thought we colluded, but we couldn’t even collude with our local offices.” It’s a pitiful yet accurate exculpation: not guilty by reason of ineptitude."

"Mueller’s chronicle of prevarication, moral turpitude, and incompetence is dispiriting, but his presentation of rigorous legal reasoning and strict adherence to statutes, case law, and procedural rules is inspiring. The text serves as an x-ray, revealing a venal politician and a corrupt political system. At the same time, it embodies many of the values that make the United States great: integrity, meticulousness, professionalism, public service, and the rule of law."

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...merican-hustle

"The report makes clear that Trump the politician resembles Trump the businessman. Before he became president, whenever he got into trouble (which he constantly did), he would sue, obtaining a settlement to extricate himself. He and his businesses got involved in around 3,500 lawsuits, in a majority of them as the plaintiff. If all else failed, Trump would declare bankruptcy. Between 1991 and 2009, his companies went through six corporate bankruptcies under Chapter 11. But although he had to relinquish many of his properties, he avoided having to file for personal bankruptcy."

"Only someone miraculously innocent of history could believe that competition among ideas could result in the triumph of truth" John Gray

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hope all are well and enjoying this unusual weather. A few people have chastised me for mentioning Russian trolls and their attempts to influence our elections. Anyone who reads Masha Gessen's books on Russia will see a world no American would want for America. We of course have 'dark money' influence that demonstrates the power of certain ideas when money pays for their dissemination. Free market worship and unimpeded markets are its primary goals. Let the 2008 market crash be a lesson on that topic.

Someone wrote an OP recently that claimed no one reads books any more. There is a truth there as social media so dominates our lives today. I have read so much I could fill a small library, but today reading is a challenge as gaslighting is everywhere. There are publishers and press organizations that are supported by the powerful and the not so well intentioned and they are everywhere. So people, at bottom I list some books should you want to know. First two pieces on Russian interference.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...tion-for-trump

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/26/us/20...cts/index.html

Books:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33917107-on-tyranny
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lyover-country
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...their-own-land
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nvisible-hands

Book below is a tough read but....

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/321263.Humanity

"One must be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” Cassandra Clare

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A Russian troll talks.

'Russia Rising, Hunting for Internet Trolls'

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts...1-51yElAxnp98/