Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, USFREEDOM911, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.1, canceled.2021.2 and CFM

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things I Learned From the Mueller Report

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,188 Times in 25,723 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Default Five Things I Learned From the Mueller Report

Here are some highlights of the Mueller report from a legal journalist. It's a long article and worth reading and considering all of Wittes' points, not just the Russia ones.

A careful reading of the dense documents delivers some urgent insights.

"I spent the week after the release of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report going through it section by section and writing a kind of diary of the endeavor. My goal was less to summarize the report than to force myself to think about each factual, legal, and analytical portion of Mueller’s discussion, which covers a huge amount of ground. Here are five conclusions I drew from the exercise:

The president committed crimes.
    Mueller does not accuse the president of crimes. He doesn’t have to. But the facts he recounts describe criminal behavior. They describe criminal behavior even if we allow the president’s—and the attorney general’s—argument that facially valid exercises of presidential authority cannot be obstructions of justice. They do this because they describe obstructive activity that does not involve facially valid exercises of presidential power at all.

The president also committed impeachable offenses.
    Crimes and impeachable offenses are not the same thing, though they are overlapping categories. Some of the most obviously impeachable offenses described in the Mueller report are likely criminal as well. Some may not be. If I were a member of Congress, I would be thinking about which portions of the report describe, in my opinion, the most unacceptable abuses of power. A few stand out to me.

Trump was not complicit in the Russian social-media conspiracy.
    Separating the wheat from the chaff is important, so let’s do so. While Trump has a great deal to answer for, Mueller unambiguously clears him—clears in the true sense of the word—of involvement in Russian efforts to interfere in the U.S. election by means of the Internet Research Agency’s social-media campaign.

Trump’s complicity in the Russian hacking operation and his campaign’s contacts with the Russians present a more complicated picture.
    No, Mueller does not appear to have developed evidence that anyone associated with the Trump campaign was involved in the hacking operation itself. And no, the investigation did not find a criminal conspiracy in the veritable blizzard of contacts between Trumpworld and the Russians. But this is an ugly story for Trump.

Here’s the key point: If there wasn’t collusion on the hacking, it sure wasn’t for lack of trying. Indeed, the Mueller report makes clear that Trump personally ordered an attempt to obtain Hillary Clinton’s emails; and people associated with the campaign pursued this believing they were dealing with Russian hackers. Trump also personally engaged in discussions about coordinating public-relations strategy around WikiLeaks releases of hacked emails.

The counterintelligence dimensions of the entire affair remain a mystery.
    Because the Mueller investigation was born out of a counterintelligence investigation, there has been an enduring impression that it had both criminal and counterintelligence elements. I have assumed this myself at times. How these two very different missions integrated within the Mueller probe has been much discussed.The Mueller report answers this question, and the answer is actually striking—and from my point of view alarming: The Mueller investigation was a criminal probe. Full stop.It was not a counterintelligence probe. Mueller both says this directly and also describes how the counterintelligence equities were handled.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...report/588259/

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. The Following User Groans At christiefan915 For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-30-2019)

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (04-29-2019), Cypress (04-29-2019), evince (04-29-2019), JPF (04-29-2019), LV426 (05-01-2019), Phantasmal (04-29-2019), signalmankenneth (04-29-2019), Taichiliberal (04-29-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Indeed, the Mueller report makes clear that Trump personally ordered an attempt to obtain Hillary Clinton’s emails;
    what?

The Mueller investigation was a criminal probe. Full stop.It was not a counterintelligence probe. Mueller both says this directly and also describes how the counterintelligence equities were handled.
    incorrect. Mueller subsumed the FBI counterintelligence probe as well.
    it was a bastardization of both because it was an SC. The article is riddled with inaccuracies ( typical of the Atlantic)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-30-2019), Darth Omar (04-29-2019), Earl (04-30-2019), Truth Detector (04-29-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Some of the most obviously impeachable offenses described in the Mueller report are likely criminal as well. Some may not be. If I were a member of Congress, I would be thinking about which portions of the report describe, in my opinion, the most unacceptable abuses of power. A few stand out to me.
    oh please please do impeach. sensationalist hack crap. There were no abuses of powers -those require an act.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (04-30-2019)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    oh please please do impeach. sensationalist hack crap. There were no abuses of powers -those require an act.
    The author laid out his arguments on the Lawfare site and I'm going to read them before commenting. https://www.lawfareblog.com/notes-mu...ton%20Campaign

Also, I'm still reading the actual Mueller report.

― Charles Dickens

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

evince (04-29-2019), Phantasmal (04-29-2019)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

I learned that liberals don't care about facts... Oh wait,I already knew that.

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Here are some highlights of the Mueller report from a legal journalist. It's a long article and worth reading and considering all of Wittes' points, not just the Russia ones.

"I spent the week after the release of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report going through it section by section and writing a kind of diary of the endeavor. My goal was less to summarize the report than to force myself to think about each factual, legal, and analytical portion of Mueller’s discussion, which covers a huge amount of ground. Here are five conclusions I drew from the exercise:

Mueller does not accuse the president of crimes. He doesn’t have to. But the facts he recounts describe criminal behavior. They describe criminal behavior even if we allow the president’s—and the attorney general’s—argument that facially valid exercises of presidential authority cannot be obstructions of justice. They do this because they describe obstructive activity that does not involve facially valid exercises of presidential power at all.

Crimes and impeachable offenses are not the same thing, though they are overlapping categories. Some of the most obviously impeachable offenses described in the Mueller report are likely criminal as well. Some may not be. If I were a member of Congress, I would be thinking about which portions of the report describe, in my opinion, the most unacceptable abuses of power. A few stand out to me.

Separating the wheat from the chaff is important, so let’s do so. While Trump has a great deal to answer for, Mueller unambiguously clears him—clears in the true sense of the word—of involvement in Russian efforts to interfere in the U.S. election by means of the Internet Research Agency’s social-media campaign.

Trump’s complicity in the Russian hacking operation and his campaign’s contacts with the Russians present a more complicated picture.
    No, Mueller does not appear to have developed evidence that anyone associated with the Trump campaign was involved in the hacking operation itself. And no, the investigation did not find a criminal conspiracy in the veritable blizzard of contacts between Trumpworld and the Russians. But this is an ugly story for Trump.

Here’s the key point: If there wasn’t collusion on the hacking, it sure wasn’t for lack of trying. Indeed, the Mueller report makes clear that Trump personally ordered an attempt to obtain Hillary Clinton’s emails; and people associated with the campaign pursued this believing they were dealing with Russian hackers. Trump also personally engaged in discussions about coordinating public-relations strategy around WikiLeaks releases of hacked emails.

Because the Mueller investigation was born out of a counterintelligence investigation, there has been an enduring impression that it had both criminal and counterintelligence elements. I have assumed this myself at times. How these two very different missions integrated within the Mueller probe has been much discussed.The Mueller report answers this question, and the answer is actually striking—and from my point of view alarming: The Mueller investigation was a criminal probe. Full stop.It was not a counterintelligence probe. Mueller both says this directly and also describes how the counterintelligence equities were handled.

I agree he prob did not, but then he had no reason to do so, they were already doing his bidding.... The question should be did he know about it or ppl in his campaign & not report it??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,710 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I learned that all those decades of conservatives calling liberals pro-Kremlin was all just a bunch of psychological projection.

The Kremlin has made it known that it prefers the GOP,
    and the Republican Party is unequivocally pro-KGB, pro-Kremlin, and pro-Putin.

13. The Following 2 Users Groan At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-30-2019), Earl (04-30-2019)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (04-29-2019), evince (04-29-2019), LV426 (05-01-2019), Phantasmal (04-29-2019)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm still reading the actual Mueller report.
    I doubt it.

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I learned that all those decades of conservatives calling liberals pro-Kremlin was all just a bunch of psychological projection.

Which is why they bent over backwards for the Clintons. You can do better.

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

which Republicans? Not Trump nor Rubio not any of therm

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I agree he prob did not, but then he had no reason to do so, they were already doing his bidding.... The question should be did he know about it or ppl in his campaign & not report it??
    They're going to pick and choose what they take from the articles. They'll support the parts about no collusion and disregard the rest.

― Charles Dickens

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Althea (04-29-2019), Bill (04-29-2019), evince (04-29-2019), Phantasmal (04-29-2019)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

which Republicans? Not Trump nor Rubio not any of therm
    This article from less than a year ago.

"The results of a recent Gallup Poll make the same point. Since 2014, the percentage of Republicans who consider Russia an ally has almost doubled from 22 percent to 40 percent. Democrats still have no illusions about Russian intentions since there are few Democrats now (28 percent) or four years ago (25 percent) who believe the Russians are our buddies.

The crossover point according to Gallup when more Republicans thought Russia was friend rather than foe came in March 2015. I don’t think it was a coincidence that was about the time Trump became a star on the GOP presidential stage and started his campaign to make his BFF, Vlad, a saint."

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...ia-has-doubled

― Charles Dickens

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

evince (04-29-2019), Phantasmal (04-29-2019)

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

there was no collusion there never was, any idiot should have figured that out on Day 1

Why would Putin enter into corrupt conspiracy for something he had no control over? American voting.
    Russiaphobia has rotted many a brain

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

canceled.2021.2 (04-29-2019), Darth Omar (04-29-2019), Earl (04-30-2019), RB 60 (04-30-2019)

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Funny as hell......The prosecutor who was appointed to prosecute CRIMES said, "We cannot conclude there was a crime committed...……" But you conclude "A crime was committed...." The rest of your bullshit is "moot"...as the AG already concluded there were no crimes of Collusion or Obstructed committed. Congress and the press can investigate until hell freezes over but neither have the power to convict anyone of a crime.....and they don't have the evidence or support to impeach.

The only choice you have is to promote PROPGANDA. FYI: SCOTUS has already concluded that the POTUS has the authority to fire who he will for whatever reason he wants, and as long as there no attempted to cover or obstruct a crime.....he is protected by his constitutional authority as per the decision made in the United States v. Nixon (Nixon fired the entire team that was investigating him and SCOTUS found it legal....but allowed Nixon to be charged because he was attempting to cover up and obstruct an investigation into a CRIME). What crime is Trump charged with by Mueller....who clearly said, "We cannot conclude that Trump or anyone on his team committed a crime...."

Again.....YOU CONCLUDE...but SCOTUS has already established precedence informing everyone that your conclusion if bat shit crazy.

Stick around the Comey report will soon hit the airwaves....and all this BS will be shortlived. If you don't believe Congress is a toothless tiger....watch Bill Barr give them the middle finger.
    Last edited by Ralph; 04-29-2019 at 04:57 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph For This Post:

Earl (04-30-2019)

26. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

there was no collusion there never was, any idiot should have figured that out on Day 1

Why would Putin enter into corrupt conspiracy for something he had no control over? American voting.
    Russiaphobia has rotted many a brain
    Just for the visual effect: