Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Dukkha is more than suffering.

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

I think Buddhism and Hinduism have an ancient history that is specific to the cultures, politics, mindsets of south and east asian culture, and people who really have a stake in it, an affinity for it, most likely would be people who grew up with and are imbued with an Asian cultural identity and sensitivity.
    Kooky talk.

South Mexicans eat agave worms in their stews.

Didn't China invent noodles and fireworks.

What you wrote is what conquistadors wrote back to their financiers.

Many in Vietnam had never seen Paris.

Bruce Lee's impact on the world was immense and Bruce Lee's legacy
    can still be seen everywhere.
    He inspired an entire generation, on a global level, and his influence transcended martial arts.

Chuck Norris made a living from it.

Again, it appears that to be religious in Buddhism etc requires living like a Tibetan Monk.

The Golden Rule is an absolute fact of Karma.

If your Imam or Rabbi tell you how to think ... then maybe that's the foreign thing your reading into "Buddhist Philosophical Maxims"

2. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

America's Funniest Videos are

full of scenes of other people suffering.

I cheer when I see a Matador get gorged.

I cringe when a skateboarder grinds a rail and falls on his balls.

I wait 100's of laps for a nascar crash.

Like anyone thinks Free Health care will make people healthier?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bhaktajan For This Post:

dukkha (05-06-2019)

4. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I think Buddhism and Hinduism have an ancient history that is specific to the cultures, politics, mindsets of south and east asian culture, and people who really have a stake in it, an affinity for it, most likely would be people who grew up with and are imbued with an Asian cultural identity and sensitivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post
    Kooky talk.

South Mexicans eat agave worms in their stews.

Didn't China invent noodles and fireworks.

What you wrote is what conquistadors wrote back to their financiers.

Many in Vietnam had never seen Paris.

Bruce Lee's impact on the world was immense and Bruce Lee's legacy
    can still be seen everywhere.
    He inspired an entire generation, on a global level, and his influence transcended martial arts.

Chuck Norris made a living from it.

Again, it appears that to be religious in Buddhism etc requires living like a Tibetan Monk.

The Golden Rule is an absolute fact of Karma.

If your Imam or Rabbi tell you how to think ... then maybe that's the foreign thing your reading into "Buddhist Philosophical Maxims"
    Call it kooky if you want. Those are not my opinions. Those are the impressions I got from courses I took on Hinduism and Buddhism from noted professors of theology and comparative religion. Even translating Buddhism from India to China required significant effort to translate the philosophy to fit Chinese traditions and culture, specifically by incorporating elements of taosim and Chinese cultural norms into a distinctly Chinese form of Buddhism. In all cases, the migration of Buddhism to other Asian countries required the assimilation of local religious and cultural tradition.

And that is just in Asia.

I strongly suspect the translation of Buddhism from India to Burma and Vietnam is an easier jump, than translating Buddhism to the cultures of London, Frankfurt, or Kansas City. And that is exactly because western culture, western thought, western philosophy, and western conventional norms are so alien to south and east Asian cultural traditions and thought patterns. Hindus do not even think about time in the same way that we in the west do. If one grew up in a conventional western culture with a conventional European heritage, I have my doubts that one could truly imbue themselves with the Buddhist philosophy practiced by devout native south and east Asians in anything other than a cursory sense.

5. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have come to the conclusion that any conventional westerner of European decent trying to adopt Buddhism as their own personal religion are pretty much kidding themselves.

Those eastern religions are so alien to our western sensibilities that I do not believe there is anyway to realistically adopt them as our own personal philosophy. To understand the Buddhist or Hindu way of life really requires one to be born into an Asian culture, to live and breathe it, to be imbued with it. To really grasp and adopt the concepts of no-self and emptiness really requires a lifetime of being immersed in an Asian context. When Hollywood stars claim to be practicing Buddhists, it always struck me as a little insincere and fake.

I decided quite a while ago that my life force is inextricably bound to and imbued with my life experience living in western culture. Whatever flaws I think religion has, my cultural touchstone is Eastern Orthodoxy.

That said, I do not begrudge anyone for attempting to employ some of the tenets of Buddhist philosophy. The idea of impermanence and the concept of letting go of material attachments and conditioned states that cause suffering are practices that any human being could benefit from. You would be amazed at how many message board dunces cling for years and decades to petty grudges and imaginary grievances. Those dupes could really benefit from a little Buddhist philosophy!
    "You would be amazed at how many message board dunces cling for years and decades to petty grudges and imaginary grievances. Those dupes could really benefit from a little Buddhist philosophy!"
    Jack: A few names do spring to mind. I wonder if these people are open to suggestion?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Cypress (05-05-2019)

7. #215 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

I am posting this here because it is pertinent to the theme of knowing who you are, where you are, and what time it is / [consciousness[. this teaching will prove where fake jews have come from. who are you, where are you, what time is it... https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F64B&FORM=VIRE it is possible that the generation began in 1967; when Jerusalem was liberated from the damned UN.
    Last edited by iewitness; 05-06-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

8. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

to translate the philosophy to fit Chinese traditions
    Yes, some 'cultures' don't have words for ideas from faraway places.

Like "outside-block" in Japanese is "Swan flaps wings away".

Gautama Buddha wrote very very very little himself.

Quote via google search:
    The Buddha’s first teaching was the Four Noble Truths:

1. Suffering exists.

2. There is a cause of suffering.

3. There is a way to freedom from suffering.

4. The Noble Eightfold Path is the way to freedom from suffering.

Buddha never made a judgment about suffering being either bad or good. He simply said suffering exists in the human mind. Suffering is the first of the Four Noble Truths. Suffering is Noble. Without suffering, there could be no freedom from suffering, no way to freedom from suffering and no Noble Eightfold Path. So the existence of suffering is very important.

Without suffering we would never directly experience the truth that all suffering comes from our belief in and attachment to our thoughts, opinions, judgments and beliefs. This is a very important discovery. But we must discover this ourself. Understanding through the mind offers very limited help. So the various practices help us have the direct realization, which is the only true realization there can be. Mental knowing is extremely limited. Mental understanding cannot touch the truth of reality.

There is a universal "absolute" truth underlying ... Truth. So there are universal Truths that are ipso facto to all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bhaktajan For This Post:

dukkha (05-06-2019)

10. #217 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post
    Yes, some 'cultures' don't have words for ideas from faraway places.

Like "outside-block" in Japanese is "Swan flaps wings away".

Gautama Buddha wrote very very very little himself.

Quote via google search:
    The Buddha’s first teaching was the Four Noble Truths:

1. Suffering exists.

2. There is a cause of suffering.

3. There is a way to freedom from suffering.

4. The Noble Eightfold Path is the way to freedom from suffering.

Buddha never made a judgment about suffering being either bad or good. He simply said suffering exists in the human mind. Suffering is the first of the Four Noble Truths. Suffering is Noble. Without suffering, there could be no freedom from suffering, no way to freedom from suffering and no Noble Eightfold Path. So the existence of suffering is very important.

Without suffering we would never directly experience the truth that all suffering comes from our belief in and attachment to our thoughts, opinions, judgments and beliefs. This is a very important discovery. But we must discover this ourself. Understanding through the mind offers very limited help. So the various practices help us have the direct realization, which is the only true realization there can be. Mental knowing is extremely limited. Mental understanding cannot touch the truth of reality.

There is a universal "absolute" truth underlying ... Truth. So there are universal Truths that are ipso facto to all.
    Well, to each their own.

I always found the Beatles promotion of the Hindu tradition of trancendental meditation and Richard Gere's promotion of Buddhism to be, if not insincere, then a little feigned.

It does not ring to me of true authenticity. The Hindu and Buddhist traditions evolved in antiquity and into the modern era to reflect the cultural norms, traditions, needs, and history of the peoples of South and East Asia. Not of Topeka, Kansas. And in each case, Buddhism absorbed local Asian religions and spiritual traditions creating a patchwork of specifically Asian spiritual practices.

When I see George Harrison, Keanu Reeves, and Richard Gere adopting and promoting Hindu and Buddhist traditions, I can't help but think this is a sanitized, secularized, and distorted version of those ancient religions that have been adopted or coopted by Hollywood hipsters.

11. #218 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

I am just saying that one can try to employ some of the tenets of Buddha, Jesus, Confucius, Muhammad without claiming to be an actual practicing Christian, Buddhist, or Muslim. All those religious traditions have profound things to say on virtue, morality, and the human condition.
    https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...s-and-Muhammad
    yes. Buddhism especially is concerned with the universal human condition.as I mentioned before there are even Buddhist /Christians (there was even a guy who called himself a Nicene Buddhist on our old DCJ board)

No. While there are some small variations in dharma and practices in Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism the core beliefs and practices like the 4 Noble Truths and the 8 fold Noble path are universal to the human condition,
    and are what Buddha taught. Most oral teaching were written down in the Pali Cannon as well.
    The suttas (oral lessons) are excellent covering different aspects.
    Buddha taught the people a practical Path; still true 2500 years later

Sure there are cultural difference, and the role of bodhisattva, but the religion is much the same practice anywhere
    Last edited by dukkha; 05-05-2019 at 11:49 PM.

12. #219 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well, to each their own.

I always found the Beatles promotion of the Hindu tradition of trancendental meditation and Richard Gere's promotion of Buddhism to be, if not insincere, then a little feigned.

It does not ring to me of true authenticity. The Hindu and Buddhist traditions evolved in antiquity and into the modern era to reflect the cultural norms, traditions, needs, and history of the peoples of South and East Asia. Not of Topeka, Kansas. And in each case, Buddhism absorbed local Asian religions and spiritual traditions creating a patchwork of specifically Asian spiritual practices.

When I see George Harrison, Keanu Reeves, and Richard Gere adopting and promoting Hindu and Buddhist traditions, I can't help but think this is a sanitized, secularized, and distorted version of those ancient religions that have been adopted or coopted by Hollywood hipsters.
    Gere is a sincere Buddhist. I'm not all that familaier with his particulars but it looks like he's focused on bringing the rudimentary idea to western minds - Ithink?

The (Beatles) Guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was limited to TM ( transendental meditation) which wasn't much more the practicing to quiet the Monkey Mind/ He wasn 't much of a teacher other then that -he was in it for the fame.

But he had a profound and lasting effect of George especially. George never did declare his religion -
    it was mostly Hindu and I think he believed in the self reincarnation ( unlike Buddhism),
    But his religion was sincere, and became a comfort to him as he aged and suffered after he was stabbed when an intruder broke into his estate.

So the old selfish Guru did make a lasting contribution to George at least. TM is good if incomplete as well

13. #220 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have come to the conclusion that any conventional westerner of European decent trying to adopt Buddhism as their own personal religion are pretty much kidding themselves.

Those eastern religions are so alien to our western sensibilities that I do not believe there is anyway to realistically adopt them as our own personal philosophy. To understand the Buddhist or Hindu way of life really requires one to be born into an Asian culture, to live and breathe it, to be imbued with it. To really grasp and adopt the concepts of no-self and emptiness really requires a lifetime of being immersed in an Asian context. When Hollywood stars claim to be practicing Buddhists, it always struck me as a little insincere and fake.

I decided quite a while ago that my life force is inextricably bound to and imbued with my life experience living in western culture. Whatever flaws I think religion has, my cultural touchstone is Eastern Orthodoxy.

That said, I do not begrudge anyone for attempting to employ some of the tenets of Buddhist philosophy. The idea of impermanence and the concept of letting go of material attachments and conditioned states that cause suffering are practices that any human being could benefit from. You would be amazed at how many message board dunces cling for years and decades to petty grudges and imaginary grievances. Those dupes could really benefit from a little Buddhist philosophy!
    absolutely wrong and parochial thinking. Buddhism has a lot of terminology, but I can't think of any that is only relevant to eastern or western culture. The human condition is universal.
    anyone interested can start off online with BuddhNet https://www.buddhanet.net/
    ~~
    There are a myriad of sites. or read a book about the life of Siddhartha and his enlightenment
    for understanding why he wound up with Buddhism as an answer to suffering after trying the life of Asceticism
    (a lifestyle characterized by abstinence from sensual pleasures, often for the purpose of pursuing spiritual goals.)
    ~~

My very favorite is a page turner by Deepak Chopra "Life of Buddha" so well written it draws you into his life.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/319604.Buddha
    Bestselling author Deepak Chopra brings the Buddha back to life in this gripping novel of the young prince who abandoned his inheritance to discover his true calling. This iconic journey changed the world forever, and the truths revealed continue to influence every corner of the globe today.

A young man in line for the throne is trapped in his father's kingdom and yearns for the outside world.
    Betrayed by those closest to him, Siddhartha abandons his palace and princely title. Alone and face-to-face with his demons, he becomes a wandering monk and embarks on a spiritual fast that carries him to the brink of death. Ultimately recognizing his inability to conquer his body and mind by sheer will, Siddhartha transcends his physical pain and achieves enlightenment.

Although we recognize Buddha today as an icon of peace and serenity, his life story was a tumultuous and spellbinding affair filled with love and sex, murder and loss, struggle and surrender. From the rocky terrain of the material world to the summit of the spiritual one, Buddha captivates and inspires—ultimately leading us closer to understanding the true nature of life and our selves.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

anonymoose (05-06-2019)

15. #221 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

George Harrison died from lung cancer in 2001 at the age of 58, two years after surviving a knife attack by an intruder at his Friar Park home.
    His remains were cremated and the ashes were scattered according to Hindu tradition in a private ceremony in the Ganges and Yamuna rivers in India.

https://www.nationalenquirer.com/cel...is-final-days/
    As Harrison’s life slipped away, he lay on a couch with his wife and son Dhani by his side.

“Two gurus chanted prayers over him — and George repeated ‘Hare Krishna’ with his dying breaths,” said the source.

“His religion holds that anyone who hears Krishna’s name at the precise moment of death will go directly to him — and George got his wish.”

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

bhaktajan (05-06-2019)

17. #222 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post

“His religion holds that anyone who hears Krishna’s name at the precise moment of death will go directly to him — and George got his wish.”
    Krishna proclaims in the Bhagavad-gita "that anyone who remembers me [Krishna] via his name etc at the precise moment of death..."

"Hollowed by thy Name"

18. #223 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    absolutely wrong and parochial thinking. Buddhism has a lot of terminology, but I can't think of any that is only relevant to eastern or western culture. The human condition is universal.
    anyone interested can start off online with BuddhNet https://www.buddhanet.net/
    ~~
    There are a myriad of sites. or read a book about the life of Siddhartha and his enlightenment
    for understanding why he wound up with Buddhism as an answer to suffering after trying the life of Asceticism
    (a lifestyle characterized by abstinence from sensual pleasures, often for the purpose of pursuing spiritual goals.)
    ~~

My very favorite is a page turner by Deepak Chopra "Life of Buddha" so well written it draws you into his life.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/319604.Buddha
    Bestselling author Deepak Chopra brings the Buddha back to life in this gripping novel of the young prince who abandoned his inheritance to discover his true calling. This iconic journey changed the world forever, and the truths revealed continue to influence every corner of the globe today.

A young man in line for the throne is trapped in his father's kingdom and yearns for the outside world.
    Betrayed by those closest to him, Siddhartha abandons his palace and princely title. Alone and face-to-face with his demons, he becomes a wandering monk and embarks on a spiritual fast that carries him to the brink of death. Ultimately recognizing his inability to conquer his body and mind by sheer will, Siddhartha transcends his physical pain and achieves enlightenment.

Although we recognize Buddha today as an icon of peace and serenity, his life story was a tumultuous and spellbinding affair filled with love and sex, murder and loss, struggle and surrender. From the rocky terrain of the material world to the summit of the spiritual one, Buddha captivates and inspires—ultimately leading us closer to understanding the true nature of life and our selves.

A cursory internet review appears to indicate that "Deepak Chopra" is a self-styled new age guru and marketer of alternative medicine therapies. Apparently many conventional doctors consider him a quack.

This is exactly the kind of person that give Eastern religion in the west a bad name in my opinion. That new age quackery isn't a good image, and does nothing to enhance credibility.

Deepak Chopra is not a trained theologian, religious scholar, monk, priest, or professor of comparative religion.

His opinion carries accordingly little weight with me.

I am getting my information from scholarly theologians and professors of religion.

Its fine if conventional westerners want to dabble in some Buddhist or Hindu practices. The eight noble truths are something that could benefit anyone, as a simple lifestyle choice.

I am just telling you my opinion that most of these westerners are not genuine Buddhists, and are not imbued with the Asian life experience that Buddhism developed around. It took Indian Buddhism hundreds of years to integrate with Chinese traditions and cultural norms, to create a distinctly Chinese type of Buddhism. I do not think genuine Buddhism is transferrable to Topeka Kansas on a whim, or on anything other than a cursory level.
    While I would not call these western fans of Eastern religions to be poseurs or insincere, I think of a lot of these Hollywood, Silicon Valley, and New Age types attempting to practice Eastern religion put out of whiff of feigned affectation.

You do not have to accept my opinion. It is just my two cents.
    Last edited by Cypress; 05-06-2019 at 04:45 PM.

19. #224 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A cursory internet review appears to indicate that "Deepak Chopra" is a self-styled new age guru and marketer of alternative medicine therapies. Apparently many conventional doctors consider him a quack.

This is exactly the kind of person that give Eastern religion in the west a bad name in my opinion. That new age quackery isn't a good image, and does nothing to enhance credibility.

Deepak Chopra is not a trained theologian, religious scholar, monk, priest, or professor of comparative religion.

His opinion carries accordingly little weight with me.

I am getting my information from scholarly theologians and professors of religion.

Its fine if conventional westerners want to dabble in some Buddhist or Hindu practices. The eight noble truths are something that could benefit anyone, as a simple lifestyle choice.

I am just telling you my opinion that most of these westerners are not genuine Buddhists, and are not imbued with the Asian life experience that Buddhism developed around. It took Indian Buddhism hundreds of years to integrate with Chinese traditions and cultural norms, to create a distinctly Chinese type of Buddhism. I do not think genuine Buddhism is transferrable to Topeka Kansas on a whim, or on anything other than a cursory level.
    While I would not call these western fans of Eastern religions to be poseurs or insincere, I think of a lot of these Hollywood, Silicon Valley, and New Age types attempting to practice Eastern religion put out of whiff of feigned affectation.

You do not have to accept my opinion. It is just my two cents.
    I agree 100%.

The Hare Krishnas are Hindu "vaishnav" [aka Vishnu Devotees. Vs Shiva Devotee. Vs Advaitam (the Atheist) devotee.]
    Hare Krishna = the opening words of the "Hare Krishna Mantra" ---it's like calling Christians "Our Fathers".

We are the yogis that chant the "Hare Krishna Mantra".

We just happen to be the Hasidim of Hindus. We are orthodox old world yogi doing authentic "Bonefide" ashram daily activities, with mitzva tanks hoping Krishna's name is heard.

THIS IS NOT NEW-AGE.

We are a Hindu Ashram, a Hindu Ashram for doing old world yoga as it was, as it is, as it will be.

OTOH,

The first expected lesson, aside from learning the basic: "We are not our material bodies we are spirit souls in material bodies aka, the definition of Self-realisation"...
    the first expected lesson is "HOW TO RECOGNIZE A BOGIE YOGI"

Snake charmers are everywhere in city alleys in India. Think fortune tellers.

How to beware of Bogie Yogis and demagogue worship!

20. #225 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Krishna said:
    "Those whose minds are distorted by material desires surrender unto demigods and
    follow the particular rules and regulations of worship according to their own natures."

The Vaishnav Swami Pundit comments on this verse thus:

"It is said in the Bhagavata-purana that less intelligent people who have lost their spiritual sense

take shelter of demigods for immediate fulfillment of material desires. Generally, such people

do not go to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, because they are in particular modes of

nature (ignorance and passion) and therefore worship various demigods. Following the

rules and regulations of worship, they are satisfied. The worshipers of demigods are

motivated by small desires and do not know how to reach the supreme goal, but a

devotee of the Supreme Lord is not misguided. Because in Vedic literature there are

recommendations for worshiping different gods for different purposes (e.g., a diseased

man is recommended to worship the sun), those who are not devotees of the Lord think

that for certain purposes demigods are better than the Supreme Lord. "

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

This verse above refers to celestial demigods ---alas on our stratum of life there are lesser lower grade
    demagogue that we must brown nose to stay afloat.