Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Dukkha is more than suffering.

1. #196 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gomer. Will Dukkha listen to these Eternal Truths that you lay at his feet, Paid for by The Savior. Or, will he embrace Satan?
    (You may have been Sent by God to bring Dukkha back into the Fold. You, as The Messenger, have been tasked with a Burden, ... Saving Dukkha from the Everlasting Fires of Hell!)

Godspeed Gomer.

Quote Originally Posted by gomer View Post
    my testimonies always pertain to reality according to the precious truths revealed by The Father to his family in the love letter to His family. from scriptures [old testament/ new covenant revelation / kjv last best translation] a person may know exactly who they are, where they are, and what time it is. it is good. it is good. any and all meditation, worship/ good works etc. which is outside of the Holy Spirit is self spirited vanity. that which is not of faith is sin and there is only one "faith" which is given to all for the purpose of reconnecting to the Holy Spirit of The Lord Jesus Christ. I am espoused to Christ and I strive to remain faithful to Him only. it is good. it is good.

2. #197 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

my testimonies always pertain to reality according to the precious truths revealed by The Father to his family in the love letter to His family. from scriptures [old testament/ new covenant revelation / kjv last best translation] a person may know exactly who they are, where they are, and what time it is. it is good. it is good. any and all meditation, worship/ good works etc. which is outside of the Holy Spirit is self spirited vanity. that which is not of faith is sin and there is only one "faith" which is given to all for the purpose of reconnecting to the Holy Spirit of The Lord Jesus Christ. I am espoused to Christ and I strive to remain faithful to Him only. it is good. it is good.
    If you were a monk or a priest ---I'd call you Padre.

Here is the family for the glory of Rome:

otherwise you're just a ordinary Gomer

errata:
    otoh serendipitous samsara felicitations
    "Once a Jesuit, always a Jesuit"
    Last edited by bhaktajan; 05-04-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: errata

3. #198 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are Very Enlightened. With Your Guidance, I think Dukkha can be Salvaged from Eternal Damnation. You may have been Selected as one of the Chosen Ones. (if only Dukkha will Listen to The Word)

there is no burden. it is good. he ain't heavy. he's my brother [according to the flesh] .. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D4F7&FORM=VIRE

4. #199 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Gomer. Will Dukkha listen to these Eternal Truths that you lay at his feet, Paid for by The Savior. Or, will he embrace Satan?
    (You may have been Sent by God to bring Dukkha back into the Fold. You, as The Messenger, have been tasked with a Burden, ... Saving Dukkha from the Everlasting Fires of Hell!)

Godspeed Gomer.
    lol.. that was really good Jack,you have a twisted sense of humor - i like it

5. #200 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are Very Enlightened. With Your Guidance, I think Dukkha can be Salvaged from Eternal Damnation. You may have been Selected as one of the Chosen Ones. (if only Dukkha will Listen to The Word)
    Many Christians keep the belief in salvation but use the ethics of Buddhism as a guide to living

6. #201 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    lol.. that was really good Jack,you have a twisted sense of humor - i like it
    I know Dukkha will like it. (I think he calls it 'Karma' )

7. #202 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thank You, Gomer.

By presenting these Words of Wisdom, these Pearls before the Swine, ... they may Drink the Sweet Elixir of The Christ. Eternal Life is theirs.

that is not a Christian. Christians are the bride of Christ. The Bride of Christ does not commit fornication with post Christ false prophets. there are many. a "chaste virgin " has not touched the unclean things. wow ! who knew Bible is so adult yet innocent ? the only time I see people say the name of Jesus; it is done in mocking, scorning, blaspheming, denying , and mingling his Holiness with every manner of false gods/ idols. does an espoused virgin bride speak of her husband in that way ? no love there. false wife. divorce is correct for the fornication.

8. #203 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

I know Dukkha will like it. (I think he calls it 'Karma' )
    n Buddhism, the three marks of existence are three characteristics ; of all existence and beings, namely impermanence (anicca), unsatisfactoriness or suffering (dukkha), and non-self (anattā)
    These three characteristics are mentioned in verses 277, 278 and 279 of the Dhammapada.
    That humans are subject to delusion about the three marks, that this delusion results in suffering, and that removal of that delusion results in the end of suffering, is a central theme in the Buddhist Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...ce#Application

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Jack (05-04-2019)

10. #204 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Kalama Sutta
    The people of Kalama asked the Buddha who to believe out of all the ascetics, sages, venerables, and holy ones who, like himself, passed through their town.
    They complained that they were confused by the many contradictions they discovered in what they heard.
    The Kalama Sutta is the Buddha's reply.

– Do not believe anything on mere hearsay.
    – Do not believe in traditions merely because they are old and have been handed down for many generations and in many places.
    – Do not believe anything on account of rumors or because people talk a a great deal about it.
    – Do not believe anything because you are shown the written testimony of some ancient sage.
    – Do not believe in what you have fancied, thinking that, because it is extraordinary, it must have been inspired by a god or other wonderful being.
    – Do not believe anything merely because presumption is in its favor, or because the custom of many years inclines you to take it as true.
    – Do not believe anything merely on the authority of your teachers and priests.
    – But, whatever, after thorough investigation and reflection, you find to agree with reason and experience, as conducive to the good and benefit of one and all and of the world at large, accept only that as true, and shape your life in accordance with it.

The same test, said the Buddha, must be applied to his own teachings.

– Do not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....065.than.html
    ^ full sutta
    " Trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it " - Buddha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

anonymoose (05-04-2019)

12. #205 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

what the hell do you want, jack ? you know I am a witness. I testify. it is my schtick. it is what I do. it is good.
    Let's face it Gomer. You have been Sent by a Greater Power to bring The Word to those that Refuse to Listen. You are The Messenger.

13. #206 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

" " Trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it " - Buddha. "
    Sounds like good advice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Kalama Sutta
    The people of Kalama asked the Buddha who to believe out of all the ascetics, sages, venerables, and holy ones who, like himself, passed through their town.
    They complained that they were confused by the many contradictions they discovered in what they heard.
    The Kalama Sutta is the Buddha's reply.

– Do not believe anything on mere hearsay.
    – Do not believe in traditions merely because they are old and have been handed down for many generations and in many places.
    – Do not believe anything on account of rumors or because people talk a a great deal about it.
    – Do not believe anything because you are shown the written testimony of some ancient sage.
    – Do not believe in what you have fancied, thinking that, because it is extraordinary, it must have been inspired by a god or other wonderful being.
    – Do not believe anything merely because presumption is in its favor, or because the custom of many years inclines you to take it as true.
    – Do not believe anything merely on the authority of your teachers and priests.
    – But, whatever, after thorough investigation and reflection, you find to agree with reason and experience, as conducive to the good and benefit of one and all and of the world at large, accept only that as true, and shape your life in accordance with it.

The same test, said the Buddha, must be applied to his own teachings.

– Do not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....065.than.html
    ^ full sutta
    " Trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it " - Buddha.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

anatta (05-04-2019)

15. #207 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

" " Trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it " - Buddha. "
    Sounds like good advice to me.
    yep... the Kalama sutta is an elaboration of that theme

16. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Jack (05-05-2019)

17. #208 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that any conventional westerner of European decent trying to adopt Buddhism as their own personal religion are pretty much kidding themselves.

Those eastern religions are so alien to our western sensibilities that I do not believe there is anyway to realistically adopt them as our own personal philosophy. To understand the Buddhist or Hindu way of life really requires one to be born into an Asian culture, to live and breathe it, to be imbued with it. To really grasp and adopt the concepts of no-self and emptiness really requires a lifetime of being immersed in an Asian context. When Hollywood stars claim to be practicing Buddhists, it always struck me as a little insincere and fake.

I decided quite a while ago that my life force is inextricably bound to and imbued with my life experience living in western culture. Whatever flaws I think religion has, my cultural touchstone is Eastern Orthodoxy.

That said, I do not begrudge anyone for attempting to employ some of the tenets of Buddhist philosophy. The idea of impermanence and the concept of letting go of material attachments and conditioned states that cause suffering are practices that any human being could benefit from. You would be amazed at how many message board dunces cling for years and decades to petty grudges and imaginary grievances. Those dupes could really benefit from a little Buddhist philosophy!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-05-2019)

19. #209 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,495 Times in 7,584 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that any conventional westerner of European decent trying to adopt Buddhism as their own personal religion are pretty much kidding themselves.

Those eastern religions are so alien to our western sensibilities that I do not believe there is anyway to realistically adopt them as our own personal philosophy. To understand the Buddhist or Hindu way of life really requires one to be born into an Asian culture, to live and breathe it, to be imbued with it. To really grasp and adopt the concepts of no-self and emptiness
    really requires a lifetime of being immersed in an Asian context.

That said, I do not begrudge anyone for attempting to employ some of the tenets of Buddhist philosophy. The idea of impermanence and the concept of letting go of material attachments and conditioned states that cause suffering are practices that any human being could benefit from. Those dupes could really benefit from a little Buddhist philosophy!
    Sounds contradictory to me. Yin and Yang?
    As far as the statement in red, I somewhat practice Taoism. Buddhism is too complex for me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

dukkha (05-06-2019)

21. #210 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Sounds contradictory to me. Yin and Yang?
    As far as the statement in red, I somewhat practice Taoism. Buddhism is too complex for me.
    I am just saying that one can try to employ some of the tenets of Buddha, Jesus, Confucius, Muhammad without claiming to be an actual practicing Christian, Buddhist, or Muslim. All those religious traditions have profound things to say on virtue, morality, and the human condition.
    https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...s-and-Muhammad

I think Buddhism and Hinduism have an ancient history that is specific to the cultures, politics, mindsets of south and east asian culture, and people who really have a stake in it, an affinity for it, most likely would be people who grew up with and are imbued with an Asian cultural identity and sensitivity.