Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

silly

2. #242 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

The people I spoke with were young and old, but few were Buddhist by birth. Perhaps some have just run out of options: Mental-health disorders are up in Western societies, and the answer doesn’t seem to be church attendance, which is down. There’s always therapy, but it’s so expensive. My meditation class was $12.

As she opened a book on Buddhist teachings, the teacher told the class that holding grudges is harmful. Resentment feels like clutching a burning stick and complaining that it’s burning us. And yet, being harmed by someone also hurts. So, the teacher said, the question was this: “What do I do with my mind if I feel like I’ve been harmed by someone?”

Americans everywhere seem to be asking themselves variations on this very question:
    What do we do with our minds?

,,,,,, this dad turned to traditional psychotherapy for a few months, but he didn’t see as much of a benefit from it as he had hoped. He felt like he was mostly being taught to justify destructive emotions and behaviors.....

....Though precise numbers on its popularity are hard to come by, Buddhism does seem to be emerging in the Western, type-A universe. The journalist Robert Wright’s Why Buddhism Is True became a best seller in 2017.
    Buddhist meditation centers have recently popped up in places such as Knoxville, Tennessee, and Lakewood, Ohio. There are now dozens of Buddhist podcasts, among many more apps and playlists geared specifically toward personal, non-Buddhist meditation. Four in 10 American adults now say they meditate at least weekly.

.....the religion’s primary draw for many Americans now appears to be mental health. The ancient religion, some find, helps them manage the slings and arrows and subtweets of modern life..

The Buddha’s first “noble truth” is that “life is suffering,” and many of Buddhism’s newly minted Western practitioners have interpreted this to mean that accepting emotional pain might be preferable to trying to alleviate it.
    “Buddhism admits that suffering is inevitable,” says Daniel Sanchez, a 24-year-old in New Jersey. “I shouldn’t focus on avoiding suffering, but learn how to deal with suffering.”
    ....Buddhist thought suggests that one should not compulsively crave comfort and avoid discomfort, which some see as permission to hop off the hedonic treadmill...

.... “cafeteria Catholics” ignore parts of the religion that don’t resonate with them, some Westerners focus on only certain elements of Buddhist philosophy and don’t endorse, say, Buddhism’s view of reincarnation or worship of the Buddha. Call them “buffet Buddhists.”

.....Taken out of their Buddhist context, practices like meditation “become like a dry sponge,” McMahan said, “soaking up whatever values are around.” Traditional monks don’t “meditate for business.”

....Mary Liz Austin, who practices psychotherapy at the Center for Mindful Living, similarly helps clients see that “it’s the attachment to the outcome that really causes suffering.” Another favorite teaching of hers is Chodron’s aphorism “Everything is workable.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...herapy/584308/

3. #243 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In the grocery and a woman in a handicapped scooter pulls up to the catfood. It's stacked up so I ask her if she needs a hand getting the food.
    Long story short we talk and she has a 4 year old who she is feeding Fancy Feast cans and dry.
    It's swill- full of beef tallow and corn and rice.

I show her Beyond brand - potatos instead of rice, not tallow or byproducts - and she takes a bag
    Sez the cat is a "finicky eater" -I told her the cat doesn't know what he wants,
    because he's never had quality food to compare.
    Off she goes to feed her cat something decent - she thanks and god blesses..

It was about 3 minutes of my time. the cats gets good food and the people get good karma for thinking out
    what's best food for the cat .

Life is a series of small encounters you can choose to address with compassion and good will, or unthinking selfishness

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Minister of Truth (05-19-2019)

5. #244 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Buddha taught the eightfold path in virtually all his discourses, and his directions are as clear and practical to his followers today as they were when he first gave them.
    The Noble Eightfold Path

Right understanding (Samma ditthi)
    Right thought (Samma sankappa)
    Right speech (Samma vaca)
    Right action (Samma kammanta)
    Right livelihood (Samma ajiva)
    Right effort (Samma vayama)
    Right mindfulness (Samma sati)
    Right concentration (Samma samadhi)

Practically the whole teaching of the Buddha, to which he devoted himself during 45 years, deals in some way or other with this path.
    He explained it in different ways and in different words to different people, according to the stage of their development and their capacity to understand and follow him.
    The essence of those many thousand discourses scattered in the Buddhist scriptures is found in the noble eightfold path.

It should not be thought that the eight categories or divisions of the path should be followed and practiced one after the other in the numerical order as given in the usual list above. But they are to be developed more or less simultaneously, as far as possible according to the capacity of each individual. They are all linked together and each helps the cultivation of the others.

These eight factors aim at promoting and perfecting the three essentials of Buddhist training and discipline: namely:
    (a) ethical conduct (b) mental discipline and (c) wisdom.

It will therefore be more helpful for a coherent and better understanding of the eight divisions of the path if we group them and explain them according to these three heads.
    https://tricycle.org/magazine/noble-eightfold-path/
    ^breakdown and amplification. EXCELLENT site

6. #245 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans

7. #246 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Speaking of suffering...

Is it right/just & jolly good that Rohingya are forcibly removed/chased out of Burma??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #247 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    In the grocery and a woman in a handicapped scooter pulls up to the catfood. It's stacked up so I ask her if she needs a hand getting the food.
    Long story short we talk and she has a 4 year old who she is feeding Fancy Feast cans and dry.
    It's swill- full of beef tallow and corn and rice.

I show her Beyond brand - potatos instead of rice, not tallow or byproducts - and she takes a bag
    Sez the cat is a "finicky eater" -I told her the cat doesn't know what he wants,
    because he's never had quality food to compare.
    Off she goes to feed her cat something decent - she thanks and god blesses..

It was about 3 minutes of my time. the cats gets good food and the people get good karma for thinking out
    what's best food for the cat .

Life is a series of small encounters you can choose to address with compassion and good will, or unthinking selfishness
    did you make sure she got her rights to vote taken away too

9. #248 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Speaking of suffering...

Is it right/just & jolly good that Rohingya are forcibly removed/chased out of Burma??
    That's more of a political situation about power.

Do you reall that woman on DCJ who was Buddhist? DARM? she went over that - it wasn't about "warrior monks"\
    it was Buddhists are people too with all their flaws and xenophobia etc.

The exception might be Tibet before the Communists

10. #249 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

The Buddha taught the eightfold path in virtually all his discourses, and his directions are as clear and practical to his followers today as they were when he first gave them.
    The Noble Eightfold Path

Right understanding (Samma ditthi)
    Right thought (Samma sankappa)
    Right speech (Samma vaca)
    Right action (Samma kammanta)
    Right livelihood (Samma ajiva)
    Right effort (Samma vayama)
    Right mindfulness (Samma sati)
    Right concentration (Samma samadhi)

Practically the whole teaching of the Buddha, to which he devoted himself during 45 years, deals in some way or other with this path.
    He explained it in different ways and in different words to different people, according to the stage of their development and their capacity to understand and follow him.
    The essence of those many thousand discourses scattered in the Buddhist scriptures is found in the noble eightfold path.

It should not be thought that the eight categories or divisions of the path should be followed and practiced one after the other in the numerical order as given in the usual list above. But they are to be developed more or less simultaneously, as far as possible according to the capacity of each individual. They are all linked together and each helps the cultivation of the others.

These eight factors aim at promoting and perfecting the three essentials of Buddhist training and discipline: namely:
    (a) ethical conduct (b) mental discipline and (c) wisdom.

It will therefore be more helpful for a coherent and better understanding of the eight divisions of the path if we group them and explain them according to these three heads.
    https://tricycle.org/magazine/noble-eightfold-path/
    ^breakdown and amplification. EXCELLENT site
    Anyone can benefit from the eightfold path. You do not even have to claim to be a Buddist to benefit.

11. #250 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    That's more of a political situation about power.

Do you reall that woman on DCJ who was Buddhist? DARM? she went over that - it wasn't about "warrior monks"\
    it was Buddhists are people too with all their flaws and xenophobia etc.

The exception might be Tibet before the Communists
    Yes, I recall her. I actually agreed w/ many, many of her opinions.

It never occurred she was Buddhist..

I don't see it as a political, but rather religious & perhaps racial situation..

Anyway, whatever which way you wish to define it, do you believe they should be able to stay??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

12. #251 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, I recall her. I actually agreed w/ many, many of her opinions.

It never occurred she was Buddhist..

I don't see it as a political, but rather religious & perhaps racial situation..

Anyway, whatever which way you wish to define it, do you believe they should be able to stay??
    it's a bit of all three.. ( yes she was Buddhist -but also an expert at comparative religions)

13. #252 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    it's a bit of all three.. ( yes she was Buddhist -but also an expert at comparative religions)
    ???From what I recall she was rather hostile to religion, especially Christianity..

But back to my question, should those Muslims we allowed to stay in that country where they are not wanted??

14. #253 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

???From what I recall she was rather hostile to religion, especially Christianity..

But back to my question, should those Muslims we allowed to stay in that country where they are not wanted??
    not sure about the "hostility" could be -it's in fashion now.
    But she knew her stuff -we had that other guy who was an actor who claimed to be a "Nicene Buddhist" as well.

It's a power play in Myanmar I've heard "textbook example of ethnic cleansing" as well
    Myanmar's military says it is fighting Rohingya militants and denies targeting civilians.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41566561

15. #254 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

not sure about the "hostility" could be -it's in fashion now.
    But she knew her stuff -we had that other guy who was an actor who claimed to be a "Nicene Buddhist" as well.

It's a power play in Myanmar I've heard "textbook example of ethnic cleansing" as well
    Myanmar's military says it is fighting Rohingya militants and denies targeting civilians.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41566561
    Yes, I am familiar w/ that..

From what I have read the root of the problem is they were brought there from British India as coolie laborers, the Burmese had no say in this decision.

As you know there are many ethnic groups there that are formally recognized, & even some that are Muslim & originally from India that migrated long ago but the Rohingya have not, & have always been considered unwanted British plants, Not even Aung San Suu Kyi will come to their defense.

16. #255 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, I am familiar w/ that..

From what I have read the root of the problem is they were brought there from British India as coolie laborers, the Burmese had no say in this decision.

As you know there are many ethnic groups there that are formally recognized, & even some that are Muslim & originally from India that migrated long ago but the Rohingya have not, & have always been considered unwanted British plants, Not even Aung San Suu Kyi will come to their defense.
    gawd I love having you around with your knowledge of world empires and peoples. I knew little of this.

Just like the old days when we chatted about "Wakistan"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Bill (05-19-2019)