Thread: Dukkha is more than suffering.

1. #256 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,609 Times in 3,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    gawd I love having you around with your knowledge of world empires and peoples. I knew little of this.

Just like the old days when we chatted about "Wakistan"
    I assumed that you knew about it... Anyway, IMHO it makes that situation much more complex.

It is really sad that some in our country have more trust & respect for foreign adversarial leaders than our own loyal opposition.

“But I suppose the most revolutionary act one can engage in is... to tell the truth.”
    ― Howard Zinn

2. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 7,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,088 Times in 1,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I assumed that you knew about it... Anyway, IMHO it makes that situation much more complex.
    bits and pieces of it - but I'm not all that up on Myanmar -yes I can see it becomes more then just a religious conflict

3. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,174 Times in 7,511 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,422 Times in 1,349 Posts

Sid Kemp, Zen practioner since 1980, sharing Buddhist meditation since 1987.

This is a distortion or mistranslation of the Buddha’s teaching. I’ve also heard it as all passion is suffering.
    Neither of these is true.

The root of all suffering in Buddhism is tanha, which is properly translated as attachment or grasping.

We see this because the Buddha teaches us how to cut off suffering, but he also teaches us to cultivate joy and peace, both of which are passions and emotions. But if we get attached to joy and peace and want it all the time, that, too, is suffering.

When we become free of attachments, emotions flow. If a friend dies, we cry, but do not become weak. If we hear good news, we feel joy. If we learn the good news was not true, we let go, and are not disheartened.

That is the true teaching of the Buddha. Emotions or passions are not suffering. Getting stuck in them is.

4. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,174 Times in 7,511 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,422 Times in 1,349 Posts

Once a Brahmin approached The Buddha and questioned him thus:

Brahmin: “My Lord, your disciples claim that your Dharma (Teachings) is flawless and pristine and yet
    I see some of your disciples gone astray! How could this happen?”

Buddha: “ My dear Brahmin, do you know the road from the capital of Magadha to the capital of Kosala?”
    (Two Kingdoms during the time of The Buddha)

Brahmin: “ Oh Yes my Lord! Like the palm of my hand!”

Buddha: “ My dear Brahmin, what if someone asked you directions to go from the capital of Magadha
    to the capital of Kosala and you gave him the directions accurately? Yet, you find that… that person had gone astray?”

Brahmin: “ My Lord! While giving that person accurate directions, if that person had not listened to me attentively or while giving that person accurate directions he had listened to me attentively but not followed my instructions properly, am I to be blamed for that person going astray?”

Buddha: “ Then my dear Brahmin, while I expounded this Dharma, if my disciples had not listened to me attentively
    or while I expounded this Dharma my disciples had listened to me attentively but not followed my instructions properly,
    am I to be blamed for my disciples going astray?”
    Last edited by anatta; 05-22-2019 at 02:49 AM.
    Kissinger: “demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.”
    ________

Crimean sanctions collapsed the Russian ruble and contributed to the Russian financial crisis.
    They also caused economic damage to a number of EU countries, with the total losses estimated at €100 billion.
    ________

" Trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it " - Buddha.

5. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Guardian Naga Serpent
    mages or depictions of nagas are a common sight in Thailand, particularly at temples. The naga is a guardian figure which keeps away bad spirits and features in Hindu and Buddhist mythology. In one particular story, it is said that the King of Nagas protected the Buddha from a fierce storm by using its cobra hood as a shield

Naga, (Sanskrit: “serpent”) in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism, a member of a class of mythical semidivine beings, half human and half cobra. They are a strong, handsome species who can assume either wholly human or wholly serpentine form and are potentially dangerous but often beneficial to humans.
    Last edited by dukkha; 05-24-2019 at 09:36 AM.

6. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Buddha didn't say "life is suffering." He said "the five aggregates subject to clinging are dukkha".
    "Suffering" is just one of several ways the word "dukkha" can be translated. It has also been translated as "dissatisfaction" and "stress."

According the the Buddha's teachings, we feel suffering or dissatisfaction because we cling to the five aggregates of form, sensation, perception, volition, and consciousness. By clinging less, and following the middle—equanimous—way, we mitigate our dukkha.

7. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Buddha never preached at anyone, but always led by example. He dealt with all things as they actually are.
    He did not invent anything and say it was true if there was no evidence to support such a claim.
    He taught that, if there were such beings as gods they needed enlightenment as much as any other sentient being.
    He taught that we can only live in this moment. Every moment is precious and should not be wasted.

He taught that we are all born with original goodness and that life was all about seeking to maintain and develop this goodness. He also taught that all life is sacred, not just human life.
    He did not preach at people, but always led by example. Buddhism cannot be fazed by new discoveries.
    For instance, it has no problem in accepting the truth of evolution. The best parts in the Christian gospels have all been adapted from much earlier Buddhist scriptures such as the Dharmapada and the Lotus Sutra,
    The Buddhist scriptures are deeper, more helpful and longer than the scriptures of any other any other great religion.

Parables were invented in India long before the time of the Buddha, who saw them as useful teaching tools.
    The originals of such parables as the Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son can be found in earlier Buddhist Sutras. Buddhist teachers were present in Alexandria, Antioch and Athens during the time of Jesus and they travelled around quite a bit, which means that Jesus may well have picked up some of his teachings from them. Zen, also known as Dhyana and Ch’an, is the simplest and purist form of Buddhism and teaches serene reflection meditation.