Members banned from this thread: Nomad, CharacterAssassin, Jade Dragon and Guno צְבִי

Thread: PETER HITCHENS: Yes, Miss Greta Thunberg, back when I was 16 I knew everything too...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default PETER HITCHENS: Yes, Miss Greta Thunberg, back when I was 16 I knew everything too...

Trust Hitch to cut through the crap. Watching otherwise sensible politicians like Michael Gove fawning over that monster in pigtails was quite vomit inducing, somebody pass me a bucket!

When I was 16, I knew everything, as so many teenagers do. Luckily for me, and for the planet, quite a few adults did not immediately fall into a swoon and ask me to take over the world.

The last thing I needed (and, luckily, the last thing I got) was indulgence and praise. The Pope obdurately refused to invite me for tea. The World Economic Forum somehow failed to take an interest in my schemes for world reform.

And after a few decades of similar brush-offs, it began to dawn on me that, perhaps, in a few small ways, I didn’t know everything.

I have a sneaking admiration for Miss Thunberg’s brass neck, even if I think her plans for self-imposed poverty, cold and darkness are unattractive +2
    I have a sneaking admiration for Miss Thunberg’s brass neck, even if I think her plans for self-imposed poverty, cold and darkness are unattractive

Which, as you may have guessed, brings me to Miss Greta Thunberg, the Swedish schoolgirl before whom our political and media classes were prostrating themselves last week.

Gosh, this has been embarrassing to watch. I have a sneaking admiration for Miss Thunberg’s brass neck, even if I think her plans for self-imposed poverty, cold and darkness are unattractive. But for her worshippers I have nothing but scorn.

Michael Gove, a normally intelligent Cabinet Minister, was reduced to helpless gibbering self-abasement before Miss Thunberg.

Nick Robinson, the increasingly grandiose presenter of BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, conducted an interview with her which sounded as if he was kneeling down.

And yet amid the ‘Please tell us why are you so wonderful, exactly?’ questions, Mr Robinson slipped in a query which might have been quite productive if he had pursued it. He didn’t.

Hadn’t she perhaps come to the wrong country, he wondered. Well, quite. Britain already has one of the maddest energy policies on earth, taxing the poor to subsidise windmills and solar farms that don’t work most of the time, blowing up viable coal-fired power stations so they can never again be used even if we run short of volts and watts, relying on French nuclear power, gas and even diesel to fill the gap, and hoping somehow to avoid electricity cuts.

And while we do this, the Chinese despotism is frantically building far more coal-fired power stations than we ever had, and pouring carbon into the atmosphere at such a rate that it cancels out our small but expensive and painful sacrifice many times over. It makes no sense, whatever you believe.

And what was the response of Miss Thunberg to this rather telling point? It was worthy of the slipperiest spin doctor ever to graduate from the school of Alastair Campbell. ‘If I got an invitation to speak with Chinese leaders of course I would go there, if I had a lot of time to go there by train, but actually no country is doing nearly enough.’

Twaddle. With her current status, she could demand such a meeting and get it. Why worry about the distance? She can catch up on her studies in the peace of a railway carriage. From here to Peking by train isn’t that far, and the idea that long-distance train travel is an ordeal is rubbish. It’s far pleasanter than air travel.

Then she changed the subject to a frankly irrelevant dispute about how much Britain had cut emissions, and added, lamely: ‘If we want to change countries like China the thing to do is to stop buying unnecessary things manufactured there.’

More piffle. She is quite bright enough to know that China’s tyrants would listen politely to her, have their pictures taken with her, and then ignore her completely, as they have ignored everyone else on this subject.

Well, unlike all these crawlers, I think we owe Miss Thunberg some respect. She has embraced and taken full advantage of her fame, and why not? I don’t doubt the sincerity of her view. I just don’t think sincerity is a virtue, or that it excuses her from challenge. We should treat her as what she says she is, a major figure on the world stage.

But she has little that is of any use to say, whether you believe that human action is causing climate change or can moderate it, or not. Abject worship of such people is always wrong. Intelligent disagreement would be far better.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...-knew-too.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

People that think they know everything are insulting to those of us that actually do.

It's like stolen valor.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    People that think they know everything are insulting to those of us that actually do.

It's like stolen valor.
    This troll spells valour the Septic way, so may be in the US? If so, must be more west coast than east looking at the time of posting!!

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    This troll spells valour the Septic way, so may be in the US? If so, must be more west coast than east looking at the time of posting!!
    Ok may be.

lol

nice spelling there grammar Nazi and how embarrassing for you.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Ok may be.

lol

nice spelling there grammar Nazi and how embarrassing for you.
    I spell it the proper way.