Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Executes White Supremacist for 1998 Dragging Death of James Byrd Jr.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,581 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 92 Times in 88 Posts

Default Texas Executes White Supremacist for 1998 Dragging Death of James Byrd Jr.

John William King, 44, convicted two decades ago for killing James Byrd Jr. in an act of unfathomable racist brutality in the small town of Jasper, was put to death by the State of Texas on Wednesday night with a dose of pentobarbital.

The execution, carried out at the state’s death chamber in Huntsville, came after the United States Supreme Court turned down Mr. King’s last petition for a stay. He was pronounced dead at 7:08 p.m., said Jeremy Desel, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Mr. King kept his eyes closed as witnesses arrived to the execution chamber on Wednesday, The Associated Press reported. When the prison warden, Bill Lewis, asked him if he had any final words, Mr. King said, “No.”

Mr. King made a final statement issued in writing, Mr. Desel said. “Capital Punishment: Them without the capital get the punishment,” it said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/u...liam-king.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-24-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Doesn't sound as if he was very repentant. Horrible crime.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-24-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's ridiculous it took 20 years!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

JPF (04-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (04-24-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    John William King, 44, convicted two decades ago for killing James Byrd Jr. in an act of unfathomable racist brutality in the small town of Jasper, was put to death by the State of Texas on Wednesday night with a dose of pentobarbital.

The execution, carried out at the state’s death chamber in Huntsville, came after the United States Supreme Court turned down Mr. King’s last petition for a stay. He was pronounced dead at 7:08 p.m., said Jeremy Desel, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Mr. King kept his eyes closed as witnesses arrived to the execution chamber on Wednesday, The Associated Press reported. When the prison warden, Bill Lewis, asked him if he had any final words, Mr. King said, “No.”

Mr. King made a final statement issued in writing, Mr. Desel said. “Capital Punishment: Them without the capital get the punishment,” it said.

I remember this crime.. Horrible. He should have been executed years ago.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

JPF (04-24-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 38 Times in 33 Posts

I'm VERY anti-death penalty--this case is an example of the idiocy in which we have this penalty.

But if we're going to have one, this is the sort of person we need to break it out for.

What I would recommend is that states with the death penalty get to have a 3 judge panel that hears death penalties from those states. The judges have 90 days from sentencing to review the case. If they can find no reason to overturn the sentence, at 90 days, you're eligible to be executed by the State. They can do it at the 90:00:00:01 mark or they can wait until it's convenient for the warden, witnesses, families, etc...

There are no appeals. The reviews are automatic (just like a scoring play in football)...3 judges, 90 days. A 3-0 or 2-1 vote and that's that.

It is ridiculous that some people spend longer on death row than they did prior to murdering someone.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 38 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Doesn't sound as if he was very repentant. Horrible crime.
    Agreed.

If you really want to see something shocking in terms of delusion...you should read some of his writings from Prison and the justifications he offers for what they did.

I believe the guy driving actually got a life sentence while the other two got the needle. Tell me that's not F'd up.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JPF For This Post:

kudzu (04-24-2019), Stretch (04-24-2019)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPF View Post
    Agreed.

If you really want to see something shocking in terms of delusion...you should read some of his writings from Prison and the justifications he offers for what they did.

I believe the guy driving actually got a life sentence while the other two got the needle. Tell me that's not F'd up.
    The article said the other guy was executed in 2011. I wonder what took so long to off this idiot.
    Every life matters

14. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

JPF (04-24-2019)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post

Fuck he cant vote now, some Libs will be sad

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 371 Times in 328 Posts

I'm VERY anti-death penalty--this case is an example of the idiocy in which we have this penalty.

But if we're going to have one, this is the sort of person we need to break it out for.

What I would recommend is that states with the death penalty get to have a 3 judge panel that hears death penalties from those states. The judges have 90 days from sentencing to review the case. If they can find no reason to overturn the sentence, at 90 days, you're eligible to be executed by the State. They can do it at the 90:00:00:01 mark or they can wait until it's convenient for the warden, witnesses, families, etc...

There are no appeals. The reviews are automatic (just like a scoring play in football)...3 judges, 90 days. A 3-0 or 2-1 vote and that's that.

It is ridiculous that some people spend longer on death row than they did prior to murdering someone.
    Hey, I like that idea, and I believe either Ohio or some Midwestern state already does this.

THE OFFICIAL FLAG OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    I remember this crime.. Horrible. He should have been executed years ago.
    I had nightmares about that for a long time, just from reading about it. I don't know why we allow ppl who do this sort of thing to linger for so long after conviction.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

JPF (04-24-2019), kudzu (04-25-2019)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As to the death penalty, I view it on a case-by-case basis, rather than a general "kill 'em all" screech. For example, when New York State's death penalty was active in the late 90's, Erie County had its first case before Erie County Court Judge Michael D'Amico. Basically, Buffalo Police Officer Charles "Skip" McDougald was gunned down by a frequent flyer with a rap sheet that would make the Encyclopaedia Britannica envious. The jury came back with a life without parole decision during the penalty phase. Now, do I think the scumbag should have had a visit with Nellie the Needle? Yes, but I also respected the jury's decision.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Boris The Animal For This Post:

kudzu (04-25-2019)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Thought libs were anti death penalty?
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I had nightmares about that for a long time, just from reading about it. I don't know why we allow ppl who do this sort of thing to linger for so long after conviction.
    It's the damned appeals process and attorneys getting fat off of the legal fees. This needs to be streamlined and just for the record? I believe the DP should be applied equitably and justly. With the advent of new DNA and surveillance technology, this should be utilized more in capital murder cases to remove any possible doubt. Reasonable or not.

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Agreed.

Especially since the getaway car driver is considered equally culpable to the rest of the gang in bank robbery cases.