Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Blackwater Lunchbreak, The Anonymous, /MSG/, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, Superfreak, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon, Proud Boy, Earl and Nate Higgers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 99.9999% chance humans are causing global warming

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,726 Times in 27,354 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default 99.9999% chance humans are causing global warming

There is real work being done at the city and state level, even as our our popular vote-losing president proclaims that global warming is just "a Chinese hoax".

To Fight Climate Change, New York City Will Push Skyscrapers To Slash Emissions

On the steps of New York City's City Hall last week, about 100 people gathered to enthusiastically chant their support for a landmark climate bill.

It didn't target cars or coal, but another major emitter — in fact, the source of nearly 70% of New York City's greenhouse gas emissions. It's a sector that dominates New York's skyline, but has largely managed to dodge the spotlight when it comes to climate change.

The City Council passed a measure Thursday to require owners of large buildings to invest in retrofitting and improving their structures to slash their contribution to climate change.

Cities around the world have been calling for greater efficiency from new construction, and a number of cities have pledged to make all buildings carbon-neutral by 2050.

But Mayor Bill de Blasio says New York's new measure, which he will sign into law soon, is the first in the world to actually mandate changes from existing buildings. Under the law, which its supporters hope will serve as a model for other cities around the world, owners will need to improve insulation, lighting, heating and cooling systems, among other changes, to reduce the amount of energy their buildings use.
    https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/71628...limate-measure
    99.9999% chance humans are causing global warming, and other science-based facts on climate change for Earth Day

USA Today

Climate change is real and increasingly a part of our daily lives. New research and studies out in just the past six months highlight the latest facts about the human-caused shift to our global weather systems and its effects on our planet.

First among them, there's no longer any question that rising temperatures and increasingly chaotic weather are the work of humanity. There's a 99.9999% chance that humans are the cause of global warming, a February study reported. That means we've reached the "gold standard" for certainty, a statistical measure typically used in particle physics.

The mechanism is well understood and has been for decades. Humans burn fossil fuels such as oil, coal and gas, which release carbon dioxide (CO2), methane and other gases into the Earth's atmosphere and oceans. CO2 is the greenhouse gas that's most responsible for warming.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/3507125002/

2. The Following 2 Users Groan At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-23-2019), PostmodernProphet (04-23-2019)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Jade Dragon (04-23-2019), Phantasmal (04-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (04-23-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    There is real work being done at the city and state level, even as our our popular vote-losing president proclaims that global warming is just "a Chinese hoax".

99.9999% chance humans are causing global warming, and other science-based facts on climate change for Earth Day

USA Today

Climate change is real and increasingly a part of our daily lives. New research and studies out in just the past six months highlight the latest facts about the human-caused shift to our global weather systems and its effects on our planet.

First among them, there's no longer any question that rising temperatures and increasingly chaotic weather are the work of humanity. There's a 99.9999% chance that humans are the cause of global warming, a February study reported. That means we've reached the "gold standard" for certainty, a statistical measure typically used in particle physics.

The mechanism is well understood and has been for decades. Humans burn fossil fuels such as oil, coal and gas, which release carbon dioxide (CO2), methane and other gases into the Earth's atmosphere and oceans. CO2 is the greenhouse gas that's most responsible for warming.

99.999% you say? Not enough! Not as long as the batshit crazies, double digit IQ'rs and the OIL industry and their lobbying arm quietly pull the strings in congress, not to mention buying and bribing their way around the world.

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am old enough to have dim memories of the Vietnam war protests in the early 70s, and as per usual, teenagers, young adults are going to be agents for change.

These three core demands are compelling, well articulated, very savvy, and crystal clear. This is a great aspirational vision to articulate. I doubt old farts could have done better!

Climate protesters march on Parliament

Campaigners have three core demands: for the government to "tell the truth about climate change"; to reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025; and to create a citizens' assembly to oversee progress.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48023800

6. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-23-2019)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-23-2019), Jade Dragon (04-23-2019), Phantasmal (04-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (04-23-2019)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    99.999% you say? Not enough! Not as long as the batshit crazies, double digit IQ'rs and the OIL industry and their lobbying arm quietly pull the strings in congress, not to mention buying and bribing their way around the world.
    The science by now is basically settled. The physics of heat-trapping greenhouse gases are well understand and beyond dispute.

There are still questions about how bad the deleterious effects of global warming will be, and how much pain and misery it is going to cause.

The dispute really comes down to money.

There is probably still over twenty trillion dollars worth of recoverable oil in the ground, and you are not going to get our corporate overlords and petroleum oligarchs to just walk away from that kind of money without a fight to the death.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Jade Dragon (04-23-2019), Phantasmal (04-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (04-23-2019)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by gomer View Post
    all lefties should kill themselves. they are destroying earth.
    Have you considered mental health counseling?
    Thanks to Obamacare, I believe all insurance companies are required to provide it as a standard benefit now.
    Thanks Obama!

On another tangent, this may surprise and amaze you - but global warming is not a Chinese hoax.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (04-23-2019)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 970 Times in 889 Posts

USA Today

Well, it's obvious that the first order of business is to relocate every fucking leftist that isn't already communing with nature on a daily, permanent basis.

Once the tree beards are out of everyone's hair, the next order of business will be to take one huge sigh of relief and get back to building our lives the way God intended.
    Free speech is cool as long as it jibes with our program.

-- The Left

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Granule For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-24-2019)

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

USA Today

It's comforting to know that my efforts are finally paying off.
    Every life matters

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    It's comforting to know that my efforts are finally paying off.
    I appreciate you providing the honest Republican perspective - to increase the concentration of heat trapping gasses in the atmosphere.

It all seems consistent with a general conservative disregard for science, for evolution-denial, for young earth creationism, and for eternal hostility to Charles Darwin, higher education, and the pursuit of scholarly knowledge.

To each their own: I imagine there are merits and rewards to moon shine brewing and cow tipping.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-24-2019)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I appreciate you providing the honest Republican perspective - to increase the concentration of heat trapping gasses in the atmosphere.

It all seems consistent with a general conservative disregard for science, for evolution-denial, for young earth creationism, and for eternal hostility to Charles Darwin, higher education, and the pursuit of scholarly knowledge.

To each their own: I imagine there are merits and rewards to moon shine brewing and cow tipping.
    It's hard work heating with wood, we went through more wood this year than we have in a few years. So if global warming is heating up, pun intended, I sure as heck ain't noticing it. But if the scientific consensus is 99.999999% then hey, it must be true. LOL.
    Every life matters

18. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    Well, it's obvious that the first order of business is to relocate every fucking leftist that isn't already communing with nature on a daily, permanent basis.

Once the tree beards are out of everyone's hair, the next order of business will be to take one huge sigh of relief and get back to building our lives the way God intended.
    Wait, this tepid mediocrity, this flaccid attempt at conservative humour, this perfunctory attempt at stale caricature was really the best you could come up with?

It is almost as if life-long climate deniers are just mailing it in now.
    The science is basically settled, and we are down to mediocre attempts at trolling and nearly comatose efforts at feeble caricature.

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,450 Times in 53,306 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's hard work heating with wood, we went through more wood this year than we have in a few years. So if global warming is heating up, pun intended, I sure as heck ain't noticing it. But if the scientific consensus is 99.999999% then hey, it must be true. LOL.
    We heat mostly with wood too, which is carbon-neutral. Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-23-2019), Phantasmal (04-24-2019)

22. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wait, this tepid mediocrity, this flaccid attempt at conservative humour, this perfunctory attempt at stale caricature was really the best you could come up with?

It is almost as if life-long climate deniers are just mailing it in now.
    The science is basically settled, and we are down to mediocre attempts at trolling and nearly comatose efforts at feeble caricature.
    Who said it was humor? You fuckers have got to go. You're a menace to everyone.

And climate denier? There is no climate denial, because it's all nonsensical bullshit.

So tell me about Beijing and Mexico City. If the ozone is depleting at such dangerous levels, how in the fuck have these two abusers not punched holes right through the ozone? By your stupid estimations, both cities should be baked to a crisp.
    Last edited by Granule; 04-23-2019 at 08:04 PM.

-- The Left

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Granule For This Post:

24. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    We heat mostly with wood too, which is carbon-neutral. Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls.
    But, do you hold an annual Earf Day Tire Fire and Weenie Roast Extravaganza? You need to step up your game, we're freezing our patooties off ovah here.

BTW, wood may be carbon neutral, but it's not particulate neutral. I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta revoke your liberal card. Hand it over sweetie.
    Every life matters

25. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I would say the goal is reducing one's carbon footprint. There may be reasonable need to burn wood (I had a wood burning stove at one time), but those carbon emissions can be offset in other ways. I am sure all of us, including myself, could reduce our carbon footprint. I think Al Gore should stop taking airplanes to European meetings, and consider the carbon neutral row boat!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-24-2019)

28. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I would say the goal is reducing one's carbon footprint. There may be reasonable need to burn wood (I had a wood burning stove at one time), but those carbon emissions can be offset in other ways. I am sure all of us, including myself, could reduce our carbon footprint. I think Al Gore should stop taking airplanes to European meetings, and consider the carbon neutral row boat!
    Now THAT is funny. lol

-- The Left

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Granule For This Post: