Thread: Incredible mountain biking

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Incredible mountain biking

Holy fuck! He beat everyone by 12 seconds. That's unreal. Usually a second or two is considered crushing the field. I've raced in slick mud like that and super steeps maybe even worse than the video up at plattekill. It's insanely hard not to crash. This dude made it look so easy it does a disservice to the sport. That kind of riding makes your adrenaline rush so much so you shake with spasms of energy. There's nothing else in the world I've ever done that comes close to replicating the feeling of dangerously fast downhill riding. Doesn't matter if you're alone or at a race, the adrenaline is the same when you push the limits of safety.

I miss riding, but no big hills here in Ohio worth driving to ride at. I'm stuck riding the chopper bike in the city which kinda more fun but less adrenaline. Downhill is scary and you are constantly forcing yourself to do things you don't really want to do but you have to make it happen. Jumping down drop-offs is not really fun. It's the adrenaline after you make it that's the fun part.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

And he styled the jumps at the end.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (04-24-2019)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    And he styled the jumps at the end.
    I've ridden with some really good riders at bmx parks and you really have a hard time believing what they can do on the bike. Sometimes it looks like it defies physics. I'm not a bad rider, but I've never mastered jumping bmx style tracks. I'm a natural terrain type rider. On the track it's all top end skill or nothing. You can't fake it like downhill using gravity. I've seen guys jump a mountain bike over a hundred feet in length. I've seen guys do back flips and 360 spins over a 40 foot gap between 10 foot mounds of dirt. I tried to jump a 15 foot gap between 6 foot mounds and ruined my shoulder for life when I came up short. I had to shift the car with my left hand to drive home that day. LOL

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    I've ridden with some really good riders at bmx parks and you really have a hard time believing what they can do on the bike. Sometimes it looks like it defies physics. I'm not a bad rider, but I've never mastered jumping bmx style tracks. I'm a natural terrain type rider. On the track it's all top end skill or nothing. You can't fake it like downhill using gravity. I've seen guys jump a mountain bike over a hundred feet in length. I've seen guys do back flips and 360 spins over a 40 foot gap between 10 foot mounds of dirt. I tried to jump a 15 foot gap between 6 foot mounds and ruined my shoulder for life when I came up short. I had to shift the car with my left hand to drive home that day. LOL
    That is definitely a young mans sport.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Someone finally made a video of the drop off at plattekill known as "Broken tooth". I never liked it, but I was forced to ride it several times because it was part of the race course. It's scary as hell to launch yourself off it because it's totally blind as you come from a steep incline across a ski trail/road and jump off the side of the road.

Here's me jumping down it when it was first created back in 2001

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,627 Times in 9,295 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Holy fuck! He beat everyone by 12 seconds. That's unreal. Usually a second or two is considered crushing the field. I've raced in slick mud like that and super steeps maybe even worse than the video up at plattekill. It's insanely hard not to crash. This dude made it look so easy it does a disservice to the sport. That kind of riding makes your adrenaline rush so much so you shake with spasms of energy. There's nothing else in the world I've ever done that comes close to replicating the feeling of dangerously fast downhill riding. Doesn't matter if you're alone or at a race, the adrenaline is the same when you push the limits of safety.

I miss riding, but no big hills here in Ohio worth driving to ride at. I'm stuck riding the chopper bike in the city which kinda more fun but less adrenaline. Downhill is scary and you are constantly forcing yourself to do things you don't really want to do but you have to make it happen. Jumping down drop-offs is not really fun. It's the adrenaline after you make it that's the fun part.
    My part of Ohio is so flat,a smashed pop can is a hill!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

You need to head down to Logan county in the Hocking Hills area or down to Chillicothe and Hills of Ohio region or just anywhere southeast of Lancaster, Ohio and you'll find plenty of hills. They may not be mountains but they usually have very steep grades. That's only about an hour drive from where you reside.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You know I think I'm about the only serious cyclist I know that hasn't screwed up one of their shoulders. How I managed avoiding doing an endo or faceplant with all the Crits I did is unknown to me cause just about everyone else I know has broken theirs.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,019 Times in 6,218 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    You know I think I'm about the only serious cyclist I know that hasn't screwed up one of their shoulders. How I managed avoiding doing an endo or faceplant with all the Crits I did is unknown to me cause just about everyone else I know has broken theirs.
    I use to love riding a bike, but I could never see me doing it anymore. I'd need a special seat on one of those things to even consider it. I'm a big guy, and I have prostate issues. I don't know if they make anything, that would help, or if I should avoid bikes altogether.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I use to love riding a bike, but I could never see me doing it anymore. I'd need a special seat on one of those things to even consider it. I'm a big guy, and I have prostate issues. I don't know if they make anything, that would help, or if I should avoid bikes altogether.
    Na they have Saddle anatomically designed saddles that reduce pressure on your peritoneum. A Brooks leather Saddle that’s broken in works well to but if you’re overweight and out of shape your legs won’t be able to bear your weight and that’s 90’s of the battle.

If you have prostatitis and you’re overweight I’d recommend a recumbent bike. They would place little pressure on your prostat.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh please, this is a pussy event.

If you want to see real mountain bike riders watch this.

I don't the guy in the OP would even have the balls to try something serious.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

bump