Members banned from this thread: Blackwater Lunchbreak, USFREEDOM911, Legion, Truth Detector, CFM, Tomcat, Yurt and Doc Dutch

Page 164 of 251 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3761

Thread: Amazon Tavern

1. #2446 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    NO Chickadees or woodpecker around here-up in the mountains.

I took my grandkids & daughters out to feed the Chickadees last fall, they loved it, eat right out of your hand..Attachment 10936
    How awesome is that?!

Mr. Owl says I'm like a Disney movie. Some of the birds eat out of my hands. The hummingbirds come up to my face to say hi when I'm out by their feeder. Chipmunks follow me through the gardens and woods -- because I have sunflower seeds in my pockets. I told him no, it's more like a Mafia movie. Everyone's fighting each other to be #1, and they only like me because I got something they want.

2. #2447 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    How awesome is that?!

Mr. Owl says I'm like a Disney movie. Some of the birds eat out of my hands. The hummingbirds come up to my face to say hi when I'm out by their feeder. Chipmunks follow me through the gardens and woods -- because I have sunflower seeds in my pockets. I told him no, it's more like a Mafia movie. Everyone's fighting each other to be #1, and they only like me because I got something they want.
    LOL, yep.. In that pict my two friends both had the same seed mix, & they like it but this one thought the seeds were a lil better in the other hand... Can you feed them out of your hand there??IMG_20180930_114239_3.jpg
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

3. #2448 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOL, yep.. In that pict my two friends both had the same seed mix, & they like it but this one thought the seeds were a lil better in the other hand... Can you feed them out of your hand there??IMG_20180930_114239_3.jpg
    Yes, they will sit in the branch right over the feeder while I fill it, waiting impatiently. If I hold my hand out with seed they will come down and get it. The chickadees and nuthatches are the bold birds!

That's a great pic!

4. #2449 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, they will sit in the branch right over the feeder while I fill it, waiting impatiently. If I hold my hand out with seed they will come down and get it. The chickadees and nuthatches are the bold birds!

That's a great pic!
    Do they look like that?? kinda greyish w/ the black band over their eyes??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #2450 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Do they look like that?? kinda greyish w/ the black band over their eyes??
    Ours are slightly different. They're called black-capped chickadees. We also have the boreal chickadees.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-capped_chickadee

Here are yours:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_chickadee

6. #2451 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We have some that look like yours down here in the valley but they are called Junco, or Oregon Junco, about the same size, although many come from Wash & BC..

They must like it cold.lol

They stay up here all winter, (8,500ft-9,000+) sometimes below zero & I wonder what they could be staying up there for w/ nothing to eat......

7. #2452 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We have some that look like yours down here in the valley but they are called Junco, or Oregon Junco, about the same size, although many come from Wash & BC..

They must like it cold.lol

They stay up here all winter, (8,500ft-9,000+) sometimes below zero & I wonder what they could be staying up there for w/ nothing to eat......
    We have juncos ("slate-colored") here too, but only in spring and fall. In STL they were there all winter. They spend summers in Canada and Alaska where their breeding areas are. They're ground feeders, so need to move south in the winter.

I wonder if yours eat the pinecone seeds and that's how they survive winter?

About juncos:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dark-eyed_Junco/id

I did not know that they are classified as sparrows, did you?

8. #2453 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, they are about the same size......

There isn't much else up there but pine, cedar & cypress & some of the cones are smaller, but they are under six feet of snow & any in the trees I would think would be green still??

I'll look it up

9. #2454 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, they are about the same size......

There isn't much else up there but pine, cedar & cypress & some of the cones are smaller, but they are under six feet of snow & any in the trees I would think would be green still??

I'll look it up
    I'm curious to find out too... pls let us know.

10. #2455 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm curious to find out too... pls let us know.
    I could not find anything definitive.. I looked @ several sites & it was pretty general, not much on the winter diet, other than the weaker & younger usually fly to lower elevations to survive.

They do eat the conifer cones of various types but one thing was interesting was that they will cache food in trees, in the bark etc & can recall up to a month were they put it..

They must have some pretty tough beaks to get the nuts out of them.. Even when cured a few years they can be tough to get @..

11. #2456 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I could not find anything definitive.. I looked @ several sites & it was pretty general, not much on the winter diet, other than the weaker & younger usually fly to lower elevations to survive.

They do eat the conifer cones of various types but one thing was interesting was that they will cache food in trees, in the bark etc & can recall up to a month were they put it..

They must have some pretty tough beaks to get the nuts out of them.. Even when cured a few years they can be tough to get @..
    Well, that's pretty cool -- they stash food! Thanks for the info.

The food-caching reminds me of a kind of sad parrot rescue story. One lady on a bird group I belong to adopted a macaw who had come from a neglectful home. Apparently being fed was optional to the original owner. She was happy that he wasn't picky and ate everything she offered him. Then she discovered that he was hiding some of his food under his wings.

12. #2457 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,137 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's a great pic!
    Chickadees are bold! They don’t fly away when I approach my feeder. I want them to eat out of my hand!!! I must try this, thanks. My jays are use to me as well, they continue feeding when I approach.

13. #2458 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,184 Times in 25,719 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Well, that's pretty cool -- they stash food! Thanks for the info.

The food-caching reminds me of a kind of sad parrot rescue story. One lady on a bird group I belong to adopted a macaw who had come from a neglectful home. Apparently being fed was optional to the original owner. She was happy that he wasn't picky and ate everything she offered him. Then she discovered that he was hiding some of his food under his wings.
    OMG that is sad. The poor bird was hoarding some of it because he was food-insecure from his previous home. I'm not a violent person, but people who mistreat animals... it's better left unsaid.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Cypress (07-28-2019), JqYaqui (07-30-2019), Life is Golden (07-28-2019), Phantasmal (07-28-2019)

15. #2459 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Chickadees are bold! They don’t fly away when I approach my feeder. I want them to eat out of my hand!!! I must try this, thanks. My jays are use to me as well, they continue feeding when I approach.
    You'll get there.... just takes a bit of patience!

16. #2460 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,137 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

You'll get there.... just takes a bit of patience!
    Thanks, good to know!