Thread: Ancient Confession Found: "We invented Jesus Christ"

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I have no idea how much of that is true, but it is worth noting there are more sources confirming the historicity of Jesus, including Pliny the Younger, a Roman governor who mentions Jesus in a letter to the Emperor in the first century AD.

I believe there are almost no serious religious scholars who do deny the historicity of Jesus. I am going to come down on the side on the consensus of experts unless and until there is a compelling case that changes the minds of international experts and scholars. Claims about vast conspiracies requires extraordinary evidence to support the claims.

On a related tangent, I personally find Biblical scholarship to be fascinating, probably because it appeals to the armchair historian in me. Man, I love this kind of stuff!
    Can't remember where I posted it, but I found a good case for debunking the claim.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,767 Times in 27,241 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    These same libs that claim Christianity is fake will assert that Islam is 100% truth.
    wow

you are one sick fuck

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    All religions are "fake." As a lib I don't see any difference between Islam, Christianity, Shintoism, or what the indigenous ppls of the world believe. They are every single one human attempts to explain the world, to comfort each other, to impose rules of behavior, as an excuse to attack other humans for being the wrong religion, to reassure that death isn't permanent, etc. But nice try attempting to excuse the zealous idiots on your side by making up shit about the left.
    I prefer to take what is good from the words the great religions confer on their leaders.

Humans are mostly good and smart

thinking and doing for others for as a society is a good thing for all people

all the major religions contain some good writings of noble things

Not one of them contains the unvarnished truth

merely TIME could do that to them but in many cases they ( because they were organized) were altered thoughout history to benefit someone with the power at the moment.

lets just embrace the good words in each of them and quit pretending they are TEAMS and one will win and beat all the others to death.

organizing religion destroys its goodness

believe whats in your heart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (04-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (04-22-2019)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

The bar I try to set is that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and this source honestly just not seem up to snuff to me.

The historicity of Jesus has been confirmed by sources independent of the bible, including 1st century Roman historian Tacitus, and 1st century Jewish historian Josephus, giving independent confirmation that Jesus was a real person who was executed on Pontius Pilate. The weight of evidence comes down on the side of Jesus being a real person, a Jewish radical teacher, and any attempt to claim he is a myth requires extraordinary evidence, serious scholarship, and the consensus of trained and educated religious scholars.
    No, they didn't confirm his historicity. They merely referenced other sources referencing him.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

what ever the answer to whether he was real or not doesn't change the beauty of his words of kindness to others

why cant we all just accept that we will never really know the true history and just embrace the clearly good messages?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (04-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (04-22-2019)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,406 Times in 53,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    what ever the answer to whether he was real or not doesn't change the beauty of his words of kindness to others
    why cant we all just accept that we will never really know the true history and just embrace the clearly good messages?
    Ra-men.

I agree with this quote attributed to Gandhi: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-22-2019)

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Ra-men.

I agree with this quote attributed to Gandhi: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
    Best advice on Followers of Jesus!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Can't remember where I posted it, but I found a good case for debunking the claim.
    some atheist website or other.....

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,684 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    No, they didn't confirm his historicity. They merely referenced other sources referencing him.
    Cite your credentials, which divinity school you went to, where your PhD in religious history is from.

Otherwise, you can attempt to make the case for why I should place greater weight on the opinion of an obscure message boarder, rather than the worldwide consensus opinion of trained religious scholars educated at the best universities and seminaries on the planet.

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post

I agree that in the grand scheme of things, the insightful and profound lessons Jesus preached could and should be followed irrespective of the historicity of Jesus. The Golden Rule just makes sense in any context or culture.

From another point of view, I believe in respect for the traditions of scholarly pursuit of knowledge and truth, I believe in scholarly expertise and higher education, and I generally place little stock or weight in armchair experts and conspiracy theories. I owe that to myself as a matter of respect for intellectual honesty and scholarly integrity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-22-2019)

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Roman Piso Family Authored the New Testament

Now, we feel that it is time to put this information out on the Net. There has been a few WebPages on the Net telling about how and why the Roman Piso family authored the New Testament. But there had yet to be the information on who wrote each of the New Testament books. So, here you will find out who wrote

https://www.interconnectednessofallt...new-testament/
    Lol
    Every life matters

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cite your credentials, which divinity school you went to, where your PhD in religious history is from.
    Don't need to. I'm familiar with what both stated. You made the assertion in the positive. It's up to you to support it.

Otherwise, you can attempt to make the case for why I should place greater weight on the opinion of an obscure message boarder, rather than the worldwide consensus opinion of trained religious scholars educated at the best universities and seminaries on the planet.
    No credible, trained religious scholars familiar both works support what you're claiming, sport.

Fun to see you try and pretend that you know what you're talking about when you don't.

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    Don't need to. I'm familiar with what both stated. You made the assertion in the positive. It's up to you to support it.

No credible, trained religious scholars familiar both works support what you're claiming, sport.

Fun to see you try and pretend that you know what you're talking about when you don't.
    Okay, so you have no expertise or education - none, nada, zilch - in religious history and theology.

It would take an entire graduate school career to become familiar with the body of work pertaining to scholarly study of the historicity of Jesus. People spent entire careers looking at various lines of evidence, using inductive reasoning, and finally arriving at reasoned conclusions on the historicity of Jesus based on the weight of evidence.

You thought about this for about five minutes, and leaped out of your chair to arrive at a conclusion...a conclusion you had already pre-determined you were going to arrive at.

That's exactly what untrained, armchair experts do.

No wonder I place no weight on your opinion, compared to the worldwide consensus opinion of reputable religious historians and theological scholars.

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Okay, so you have no expertise or education - none, nada, zilch - in religious history and theology.
    But, of course, I actually do. It's how I know you have none and are blowing smoke.

It would take an entire graduate school career to become familiar with the body of work pertaining to scholarly study of the historicity of Jesus. People spent entire careers looking at various lines of evidence, using inductive reasoning, and finally arriving at reasoned conclusions on the historicity of Jesus based on the weight of evidence.
    Except, of course, that's not what I addressed at all. I addressed your asinine, ahistorical claim that Josephus, et al proved the historicity of Christ. They didn't. They merely referenced the accounts of others. You, being simple, don't understand the difference, and it's rather pathetic to watch.

You thought about this for about five minutes, and leaped out of your chair to arrive at a conclusion...a conclusion you had already pre-determined you were going to arrive at.

That's exactly what untrained, armchair experts do.

No wonder I place no weight on your opinion, compared to the worldwide consensus opinion of reputable religious historians and theological scholars.
    Newp. I am familiar with both Tacitus and Josephus and what they stated and what that means. You quite clearly are not.

Since you have no idea what you're braying about and cannot substantiate that jackass's claim you made, why are you continuing to bray?

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

LOLOL.. It is wild.. Maybe it should be posted under conspiracy theories??

https://drjbratti.wordpress.com/2017...aign-in-judea/
    I support having it under religion and philosophy, even if it sounds like conspiracy. It is a pretty fine line between other people's philosophies and conspiracy theory anyway.

During my youth, I went through a time where I rebelled against the church and even thought of myself as an atheist. During this time Christian religions seemed like conspiracy to me, but later on my education changed this. I was eventually able to connect the Bible, minus some supernatural events, to the world history timeline. While I never gained "faith", I did come to appreciate Christian history and how it shaped Western Civilization.

I don't buy the opening post proposal, but I do enjoy reading stuff like that.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Evmetro For This Post:

kudzu (04-22-2019)