Members banned from this thread: Legion

Thread: Prosecutors Seeking Jail Time for Felicity Huffman.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 38 Times in 33 Posts

Default Prosecutors Seeking Jail Time for Felicity Huffman.

According to KTLA, prosecutors are seeking 4-10 months in jail. CNN is reporting that the feds want 12 months of supervised release and a fine of $20,000. I think the idea of time behind bars is ridiculous for Ms. Huffman. She has plead guilty to paying $15,000 to have a proctor change her daughter's answers on the SAT which jacked up her score by 400 points.
    I think the supervised release is much more appropriate than the penalties that are going to be handed down to those who paid coaches to award athletic scholarships.

These are two different animals. Raising your SAT scores does mean you'll get admitted to college but it doesn't necessarily result in someone else not getting admitted. Yes there are limits to class size in some places but these are usually not so stringent that one person getting in means someone else does not. Getting an athletic scholarship is a bit of a different animal. Once you start having the school's resources being exhausted, along with NCAA rules that may apply to squad sizes, you run the risk of seriously excluding other athletes who are more deserving.

Huffman should be ashamed and she did something wrong. But jail time? I think not.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,496 Times in 52,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

And what about her husband? Isn't he also culpable?

Agree with you; jail time is ridiculous for this kind of crime.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

They probably need a High Profile person in a striped prison uniform to convince the general public that the Law is applied equally.

Quote Originally Posted by JPF View Post
    According to KTLA, prosecutors are seeking 4-10 months in jail. CNN is reporting that the feds want 12 months of supervised release and a fine of $20,000. I think the idea of time behind bars is ridiculous for Ms. Huffman. She has plead guilty to paying $15,000 to have a proctor change her daughter's answers on the SAT which jacked up her score by 400 points.
    I think the supervised release is much more appropriate than the penalties that are going to be handed down to those who paid coaches to award athletic scholarships.

These are two different animals. Raising your SAT scores does mean you'll get admitted to college but it doesn't necessarily result in someone else not getting admitted. Yes there are limits to class size in some places but these are usually not so stringent that one person getting in means someone else does not. Getting an athletic scholarship is a bit of a different animal. Once you start having the school's resources being exhausted, along with NCAA rules that may apply to squad sizes, you run the risk of seriously excluding other athletes who are more deserving.

Huffman should be ashamed and she did something wrong. But jail time? I think not.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    They probably need a High Profile person in a striped prison uniform to convince the general public that the Law is applied equally.
    Maybe. I think they will get that with Aunt Becky. Talk about someone not doing herself any favors....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JPF For This Post:

Jack (04-16-2019)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe. I think they will get that with Aunt Becky. Talk about someone not doing herself any favors....
    I don't know who 'Aunt Becky' is, but, seriously, this will drag out for years and everybody will forget about it. That's my guess.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

How rude!!

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    And what about her husband? Isn't he also culpable?

Agree with you; jail time is ridiculous for this kind of crime.
    One would think. I know they play on a different level than me but hell... "Honey, what happened to that fifteen thousand dollars?"

"Don't worry about it...."

Full disclosure: The money was not paid directly to the guy who changed the answers or even the puppet master who arranged it; it was donated to a fake charity the puppet master was running so I can sort of remotely see how both could have been on board with one only knowing the charity was a front. But wow...the marital deception/family strife involved in it is likely worse than what the JP system could dish out. If you're William H. Macy, how do you look at your wife the same way if she hid this from you? If you're the daughter(s) who were given a leg-up on your SAT scores... what questions do you want to ask your mom? "Do you think I'm so dumb that you had to pay someone to change my answers and I couldn't have learned at Sylvan or Ma+hnasium and improved my scores on my own?" Yikes!

As for jail time, if you put this in perspective with other high profile felons, Martha Stewart really had a victimless crime in her insider-trading scandal back in 2001-2002 when she did 5 months. There may have been victims to Ms. Huffman's actions. In my view, neither crime necessitated prison time; these people are not threats to society.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I don't know who 'Aunt Becky' is, but, seriously, this will drag out for years and everybody will forget about it. That's my guess.
    Aunt Becky is a character played by Huffman's fellow felon Lori Laughlin (sp?). She played Aunt Becky in the 80's/90's TV show Full House.

As for dragging out, the feds don't usually play that game; we'll see what happens.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JPF For This Post:

Jack (04-16-2019)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,555 Times in 17,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Lori Loughlin was also supposed to be involved in money laundering to hide the money she paid. It was also about a half million dollars in bribes. She and her hubby face serious jail time. Her only chance to stay out of decades of jail is to win a trial.
    Huffman was as corrupt, just on a lesser scale.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cut
    It
    Out!

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,555 Times in 17,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

If Huffman got 4 months, she would have to serve half, Then good behavior would cut it some more. She might wind up with a month. Perhaps serve it on weekends. She is still a wealthy young white person.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Lori Loughlin was also supposed to be involved in money laundering to hide the money she paid. It was also about a half million dollars in bribes. She and her hubby face serious jail time. Her only chance to stay out of decades of jail is to win a trial.
    Huffman was as corrupt, just on a lesser scale.
    Agreed. The lone distinction I was drawing was that taking scholarship money that could have went to a more deserving student (her kids got crew scholarships) is actually exhausting funds and possibly keeping someone from going to USC. Also the NCAA may have limits on how many scholarship athletes can be on a team (Football has 85; not sure about crew) and their being there may mean someone else couldn't be--by rule.

Huffman is just as guilty but I think her crime is not as punitive to the student body.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,496 Times in 52,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

One would think. I know they play on a different level than me but hell... "Honey, what happened to that fifteen thousand dollars?"

"Don't worry about it...."

Full disclosure: The money was not paid directly to the guy who changed the answers or even the puppet master who arranged it; it was donated to a fake charity the puppet master was running so I can sort of remotely see how both could have been on board with one only knowing the charity was a front. But wow...the marital deception/family strife involved in it is likely worse than what the JP system could dish out. If you're William H. Macy, how do you look at your wife the same way if she hid this from you? If you're the daughter(s) who were given a leg-up on your SAT scores... what questions do you want to ask your mom? "Do you think I'm so dumb that you had to pay someone to change my answers and I couldn't have learned at Sylvan or Ma+hnasium and improved my scores on my own?" Yikes!

As for jail time, if you put this in perspective with other high profile felons, Martha Stewart really had a victimless crime in her insider-trading scandal back in 2001-2002 when she did 5 months. There may have been victims to Ms. Huffman's actions. In my view, neither crime necessitated prison time; these people are not threats to society.
    Personally, I'm pretty sure that the kids of parents like this don't care if they have to cheat to get what they want. Affluenza and all that, you know. I suspect the convo at home would have been more like "Mom, why couldn't you FIX it so my score was better so I can go where I WANT to?" Speaking of affluenza and jail time, remember the privileged punk who just got probation for drunk-driving murdering four ppl? Yet this lady might get jail time. Bet she doesn't.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Personally, I'm pretty sure that the kids of parents like this don't care if they have to cheat to get what they want. Affluenza and all that, you know. I suspect the convo at home would have been more like "Mom, why couldn't you FIX it so my score was better so I can go where I WANT to?" Speaking of affluenza and jail time, remember the privileged punk who just got probation for drunk-driving murdering four ppl? Yet this lady might get jail time. Bet she doesn't.
    I prefer to think better of people than that. But you may be right. Aunt Becky's daughters, going solely on what I've seen since this broke and the snippets of videos and such, seem more likely to be playing that card than Huffman's kids.

I remember the affluenza teen very well. That was incredibly sickening. I always thought that if we're going to give the President the power to pardon people, we should give the President the power to jail people as well. Because if the courts can make an error by jailing the innocent, they can certainly make the same error by freeing the guilty. I prefer the President not have either authority myself but if we're going to endow the POTUS with one magic wand, why not the other. Trump would probably give him a medal for gaming the system though.