Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The left sneers at those who do not have college degrees.

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Whether one supported or didn’t support the Iraq War has absolutely nothing to do with how those without college degrees today are viewed. That’s just stupid.

Let’s just cut to the chase, this is all about partisanship. If you are white, don’t have a college degree and hold conservative political beliefs you will be mocked by liberals like Cypress. If you are a minority without a college degree, are anti-intellectual but vote Democratic you will get a pass. It’s not about disliking ignorance, it’s disliking those who don’t vote how you would like them to.
    I have no idea why. Most college graduates I know are now in the trades than what they went to college for. Better pay, better benefits. And of course they pay most of the taxes Democrats crave so much.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPF View Post
    I really disagree with you on the immigration aspect. There is a system in place for immigrants to become citizens; millions have availed themselves of this system; I recommend the person making “crap wages….under the table” use it. Perhaps we could make it less strenuous and less prosecutorial but there is a system in place.
    Then we need to crack down harshly on those who hire illegals and pay them under the table. We don't, and that's why they come here.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Would anyone guess it was a strawman or strawwomen merely created to whine about other's bias, based solely on his own "preconceived" aka biased opinions of others??
    Well, there is that.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Is she mocking me again? I wonder if this will shut anyone up. I didn't get schooling, so Mom could go to work, and I cold stay home, and take care of my slowly dying father. When he died, I started getting disability money. Dad was in the middle of a huge house renovation when he started going down hill. Mom got in a car accident shortly after that though, and the money from the settlement paid for the bills of the renovation. All this happened shortly after my beloved dog died of cancer. I was still kind of numb from that when Dad passed. I've basically seen hell, so if anyone wants to judge me, I'd like them to see if they can make a scratch in my shell. Getting a job during all this, wouldn't have been feasible.
    Yes, the fake special ed teacher was once again mocking someone with issues. You don't owe anyone an explanation of your situation, especially the obsessed one.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 38 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Then we need to crack down harshly on those who hire illegals and pay them under the table. We don't, and that's why they come here.
    There is a lot of truth to that

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JPF For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-16-2019)

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I guess he doesn't know there are specialized degrees. Like a Bachelor of Science Electrical Engineering, Aviation Managment, Aviation Electronics. Etc.
    You said on another thread a while back that you had a masters in EE.

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In my book a BS is an avanced degree compared to a BA.
    That's just snobbery. The very thing your OP is decrying, in fact.

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneOx View Post
    Most Liberals aren't Marxists.
    So you say.

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,628 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

You said on another thread a while back that you had a masters in EE.
    I am actually working on one on line. So it was a white lie, like many tell here every day don't they? Wink, wink.
    Last edited by Eagle_Eye; 04-16-2019 at 05:24 PM.

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,628 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's just snobbery. The very thing your OP is decrying, in fact.
    Yes it is snobbery. Call it pay back for the put downs you lefties heap on red states.

12. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes it is snobbery. Call it pay back for the put downs you lefties heap on red states.
    Pointing out the truth -- that red states tend to be net takers from the federal till, while blue states tend to be net givers -- is not a put down. It is also true that states in the South tend to have more poverty, poorer health, lower incomes, less education -- than other states. Sorry you live in one. I lived in one as well, most of my adult life. I heard a *lot* more sneering from those without college degrees aimed at those who have them, than the other way around.

Here's an interesting anecdote for our racist haters on JPP: The majority of black coworkers I've had in my life were actively seeking to better themselves by attending college classes outside of work. In many cases the courses were not job-related so the student was paying for them out of her/his own pocket, rather than receiving tuition reimbursement. One of my friends, who started out as an LPN, now has a masters in health administration and is administrator of a large SNF in the St. Louis metro area. She also has her own business making jewelry and accessories. She doesn't sneer at those w/o degrees. She's trying to lift them up to her level.

13. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am actually working on one on line. So it was a white lie, like many tell here every day don't they? Wink, wink.
    I wouldn't know. So if you're supposedly getting a masters degree on line, in your 70s, why on earth were you mocking me a while back for getting an academic scholarship and working towards a BS on campus? There sure was a lot of speculation as to how I was allegedly pushing some poor kid out of a spot (not true) and "Why would some old retired person want another degree?" and so on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-16-2019)

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    That’s false. What gets mocked are the teachers union who fight against change and any competition. What also gets mocked are white liberals who claim to support public education but send their kids to private school or move to wealthy largely white suburbs that have good public schools. Then these folks want to lecture others? Please.
    I will admit I'm new here so I don't know for sure about this forum but on other message boards I visit, when the subject of public school education comes up, the word "indoctrination" is usually quickly submitted by someone who identifies as a conservative. That has nothing, it seems, to do with "fighting against change and any competition".

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JPF For This Post:

domer76 (04-17-2019)

17. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There is a lot of truth to that
    What is also true is that the illegals who take payment under the table (and I can't blame them in most cases) are not being victimized; they are willing accomplices in this....crime? Again, if I were in that situation, I would have both hands out to take as much under-the-table money as possible.

Jailing employers/payers of/to illegals would be a great start. But at the same time, if the illegals are not availing themselves of the citizenship process, they have only themselves to blame when they are deported.

18. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I will admit I'm new here so I don't know for sure about this forum but on other message boards I visit, when the subject of public school education comes up, the word "indoctrination" is usually quickly submitted by someone who identifies as a conservative. That has nothing, it seems, to do with "fighting against change and any competition".
    I’m referencing the fight against charter schools and really any change to the status quo. And that’s just not a conservative thing as you can find great quotes from such luminaries as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates about the need for change. And the ones hurt the most by the continued status quo are the poor and minorities. Those with money are generally fine.