Thread: Redneck's worst nightmare: Black dude nails country song, Billy Ray Cyrus outraged

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Redneck's worst nightmare: Black dude nails country song, Billy Ray Cyrus outraged

Backlash after Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road" removed from Billboard Hot Country chart

For one established country artist, the fact that "Old Town Road" was not embraced as a country song was heartbreaking. Billy Ray Cyrus tweeted: "I thought, it's honest, humble, and has an infectious hook, and a banjo. What the hell more do ya need?" So he decided to collaborate with Lil Nas X on a remix.

Set against a cowboy-themed game, the music video for Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road" uses language of the Wild Wild West with a hip hop spin. The genre-blending tune was a breakout hit five weeks ago when it debuted on three Billboard charts at the same time: the Hot 100, Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs and Hot Country Songs.

But Billboard quietly removed the song from the country chart the following week, reports CBS News correspondent Jericka Duncan. It later issued a statement saying the song "does not embrace enough elements of today's country music to chart in its current version." Lil Nas X responded on Genius.com.

"I started to think about it, I was like, you know, why? After like listening to other songs that's actually on that chart, it's like, wait a minute, something's not right, basically," Lil Nas X said.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 232 Posts

Dumb nig, thinks singing about riding a horse makes his hip-hop song Country music.

3. The Following 2 Users Groan At Bobb For This Awful Post:

Flash (04-14-2019), Nordberg (04-14-2019)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 96 Times in 94 Posts

TBO, if I heard that on the radio I would not think country, but hip hop. Cool song though.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 96 Times in 94 Posts

And just to show that Ghosty is lying again:

Many popular country singers are African American and this list contains information on all those country singers who are black. The best black country singers come in many forms. Some famous African American country musicians began their careers in other genres while other black country stars are country through and through. A few famous black country singers have also won Grammy Awards.

Who will you find on this top country singers who are black list? Darius Rucker of Hootie & the Blowfish fame released one solo R&B album before dropping his country music debut, Learn to Live. He even won the best New Artist Award at the 2009 CMAs. Tina Turner is another great African American artist who dabbled in country music. Mickey Guyton made quite a splash on the country music scene as well. Other great black country singers include Charley Pride, Trini Triggs, and Aaron Neville.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yurt For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-15-2019), MAGA MAN (04-14-2019)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,569 Times in 2,244 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 153 Posts

Fun fact the song sampled for "Old Town Road" is "34 Ghosts IV" by Nine Inch Nails (my favorite artist/band ever). It's from the Ghosts album which was released under a creative commons license which means each song can be used for pretty much whatever, whenever.