Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Most Republicans Don’t Like Higher Education

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,760 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    So that they can make money, presumably, or because it carries kudos. How should I know and why should I care?
    Agreed, which means Republicans are no more likely than Democrats to attend college for that reason. Your generalization about Republicans has nothing to support it but your bigoted opinion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Into the Night (04-17-2019)

3. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    No - any sensible society doesn't sell education any more than it sells health. How did it get to be 'his'? The basis of American wealth, for instance, is stealing other peoples land and kidnapping people to work I could go on, generation by generation. Property really is theft.
    Then education is also property that somebody is stealing from somebody else. The teacher was kidnapped to work and stealing his knowledge to give to others.

Which society does not "kidnap" people to work?

4. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Not if government simply sets the tuition rates. Colleges would be free to accept the rates or not. The ones who do will get all the students.
    Then you get the kind of mess you have now with charter schools, Pell Grants, and private for-profit colleges and to a large extent even state colleges.

You accept the tuition to get more students, offer a cheap education with easy classes and make a lot of money. There are now state universities and community colleges that attract thousands of online students by offering cheap, easy, and quick classes. In addition to the tuition states fund colleges based on the number of students and semester hours taught. About a third of these students get Pell Grants and keeping expenses low allows these students to finance their education without loans.

Students who want a good education might avoid these schools, but most do not seek to attend highly selective schools. I might avoid purchasing a car from you if the quality is not good, but an easy education is more attractive--"education is the only thing we pay for and hope we don't get our money's worth."

You might have seen recent stories about all the private for-profit colleges closing and leaving students who cannot transfer those credits or finish their education. They would not exist without federal Pell Grants and/or loans.

This is already happening and giving colleges money for free tuition would multiply the problem.

5. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So now they tried it and got their curiosity settled. I wonder how many coal miners who are still waiting for 'coal to come back' are going to continue to support Trump. I wonder how many laid off factory workers are going to continue their support. (Yes, despite the rhetoric, factory workers have been laid off.) And even if they all continue to support Trump, he lost the popular vote by 3 million. Many more Democrats sat our the 2016 election out of disgust over Hillary. That won't be an issue this time.
    Well, I agree about Trump but those coal miners and laid off factory workers were no better off under any other president or party. If the Democrats didn't satisfy them why should they go back? And, 3.8% unemployment means there are not that many unemployed coal miners or factor workers--there are more job openings than unemployed people. This usually benefits the incumbent party.

At one point I thought any decent Democrat might be able to beat Trump, but now I'm not so sure. There are no candidates which are disliked like Hillary, but none are liked that much, either. It is much like the alternatives to Trump in the 2016 nomination contest--some acceptable candidates but few with charisma or that could rouse emotional support.

Of course, many will vote Democratic no matter who their candidate because they vote for the party, but I'm not sure if any of the Democrats can attract the swing voters, the 7% who voted 3rd party in 2016, or the weak Republicans. This is especially true after the Democratic candidates tear each other up during the primary and caucus season plus the Republicans are already attacking them.

6. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    All 5 of them?
    Those in math, science, engineering, and business tend to be more Republican than those in other fields.

7. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Everybody knows the real reason is they're cheap. They don't want to pay for anything.

They want America to be great, and they think we can build this great nation for free without having to pay any more taxes.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    There is no such thing as 'state capitalism'. Capitalism requires no government. It is the only economic system that creates wealth.
    Anyone can use capitalism. Take China\Hong Kong for example. Billionaires make fortunes in Hong Kong without the oppressive liquidizers micromanaging their growth while the rest of their nation starves in olive drab. Is this making sense to you?

9. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Everybody knows the real reason is they're cheap. They don't want to pay for anything.

They want America to be great, and they think we can build this great nation for free without having to pay any more taxes.
    Who's cheap?

10. #174 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,612 Times in 17,052 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

All 5 of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Those in math, science, engineering, and business tend to be more Republican than those in other fields.
    Those in math, science, engineering, business and design tend to be more Republican than those in other fields. Yep, that's 5 of them, dickhead
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

11. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 Times in 10,506 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

You must know different scientists than I do.

12. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Those in math, science, engineering, business and design tend to be more Republican than those in other fields. Yep, that's 5 of them, dickhead
    That you know 5 scientists is shocking. Most people with a “certificate” don’t.

13. #177 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,612 Times in 17,052 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

That you know 5 scientists is shocking. Most people with a “certificate” don’t.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

14. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Especially the trump variety

Let’s start with the good news. In a national survey released last week by the Pew Research Center, a solid majority of Americans, 55 percent, have positive views of higher education.

But that finding camouflages a worrisome partisan split: The poll noted that while 72 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said higher education had a positive impact on the nation, 58 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning independents said it had a negative effect. Just 36 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said colleges and universities had a positive effect.

\
    Even more troubling is that Republican support has cratered in two years, from 54 percent favorable in 2015 to 36 percent favorable today. There is no way to sugarcoat these findings for an industry that depends on widespread, deep public support to be effective. We ignore them at our peril.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Wh...s-Don-t/240691
    Most republicans simply can't see themselves flipping burgers at Micky Ds after spending 250K on a degree in Sociology. (they would rather get their fingernails dirty and use the 250K to start up a small business and find the American Dream ….. over 90% of all millionaires are self made. No stealing from the peoples coffers as a politician or nothing in order to find capitalistic wealth.

There is a great call for left wing nuts in our job market......especially those SJ warriors. But....on the bright side, one does have a great opportunity to greet and meet many citizens behind a cash register. How many trillions has Micky Ds served as of today?

15. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You must know different scientists than I do.
    The scientists you know are more liberal than those in sociology, English, political science, women's studies, history? I said compared to other fields and I do not base that on those I know but studies that have repeatedly found the same pattern.

"In recent years, concern has grown over what many people see as a left-of-center political bias at colleges and universities. A few months ago, Mitchell Langbert, an associate professor of business at Brooklyn College, published a study of the political affiliations of faculty members at 51 of the 66 liberal-arts colleges ranked highest by U.S. News in 2017. The findings are eye-popping (even if they do not come as a great surprise to many people in academia).

Democrats dominate most fields. In religion, Langbert’s survey found that the ratio of Democrats to Republicans is 70 to 1. In music, it is 33 to 1. In biology, it is 21 to 1. In philosophy, history and psychology, it is 17 to 1. In political science, it is 8 to 1.

The gap is narrower in science and engineering. In physics, economics and mathematics, the ratio is about 6 to 1. In chemistry, it is 5 to 1, and in engineering, it is just 1.6 to 1. Still, Lambert found no field in which Republicans are more numerous than Democrats.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...925-story.html

16. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The scientists you know are more liberal than those in sociology, English, political science, women's studies, history? I said compared to other fields and I do not base that on those I know but studies that have repeatedly found the same pattern.

"In recent years, concern has grown over what many people see as a left-of-center political bias at colleges and universities. A few months ago, Mitchell Langbert, an associate professor of business at Brooklyn College, published a study of the political affiliations of faculty members at 51 of the 66 liberal-arts colleges ranked highest by U.S. News in 2017. The findings are eye-popping (even if they do not come as a great surprise to many people in academia).

Democrats dominate most fields. In religion, Langbert’s survey found that the ratio of Democrats to Republicans is 70 to 1. In music, it is 33 to 1. In biology, it is 21 to 1. In philosophy, history and psychology, it is 17 to 1. In political science, it is 8 to 1.

The gap is narrower in science and engineering. In physics, economics and mathematics, the ratio is about 6 to 1. In chemistry, it is 5 to 1, and in engineering, it is just 1.6 to 1. Still, Lambert found no field in which Republicans are more numerous than Democrats.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...925-story.html
    You validated my claim and showed RB the liar that he is.