Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 300

Thread: Why Most Republicans Donít Like Higher Education

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    8,125
    Thanks
    20,241
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,357 Posts
    Groans
    50
    Groaned 447 Times in 418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Why Most Republicans Donít Like Higher Education

    Especially the trump variety



    Letís start with the good news. In a national survey released last week by the Pew Research Center, a solid majority of Americans, 55 percent, have positive views of higher education.

    But that finding camouflages a worrisome partisan split: The poll noted that while 72 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said higher education had a positive impact on the nation, 58 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning independents said it had a negative effect. Just 36 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said colleges and universities had a positive effect.

    \
    Even more troubling is that Republican support has cratered in two years, from 54 percent favorable in 2015 to 36 percent favorable today. There is no way to sugarcoat these findings for an industry that depends on widespread, deep public support to be effective. We ignore them at our peril.


    https://www.chronicle.com/article/Wh...s-Don-t/240691
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein

    America's future is bright, not white

    ברוך השם

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guno For This Post:

    midcan5 (04-22-2019), PoliTalker (04-15-2019)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    8,125
    Thanks
    20,241
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,357 Posts
    Groans
    50
    Groaned 447 Times in 418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The Evangelical Rejection of Reason

    THE Republican presidential field has become a showcase of evangelical anti-intellectualism. Herman Cain, Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann deny that climate change is real and caused by humans. Mr. Perry and Mrs. Bachmann dismiss evolution as an unproven theory. The two candidates who espouse the greatest support for science, Mitt Romney and Jon M. Huntsman Jr., happen to be Mormons, a faith regarded with mistrust by many Christians.

    The rejection of science seems to be part of a politically monolithic red-state fundamentalism,


    https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/o...of-reason.html
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein

    America's future is bright, not white

    ברוך השם

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to guno For This Post:

    PoliTalker (04-15-2019)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    8,125
    Thanks
    20,241
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,357 Posts
    Groans
    50
    Groaned 447 Times in 418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Anti-intellectuals present themselves and are perceived as champions of common folk—populists against political and academic elitism—and tend to see educated people as a status class detached from the concerns of most people, and feel that intellectuals dominate political discourse and control higher education
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein

    America's future is bright, not white

    ברוך השם

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to guno For This Post:

    kudzu (04-22-2019)

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    8,125
    Thanks
    20,241
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,357 Posts
    Groans
    50
    Groaned 447 Times in 418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion the ignorant goy View Post
    A poll.



    bark goyim bark

    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein

    America's future is bright, not white

    ברוך השם

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,364
    Thanks
    8,852
    Thanked 11,294 Times in 5,716 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 742 Times in 688 Posts

    Default

    The poll noted that while 72 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said higher education had a positive impact on the nation, 58 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning independents said it had a negative effect.

    Just 36 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said colleges and universities had a positive effect.
    Remarkable.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    guno (04-14-2019)

  10. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    8,125
    Thanks
    20,241
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,357 Posts
    Groans
    50
    Groaned 447 Times in 418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Anti-intellectualism Is Killing America
    Social dysfunction can be traced to the abandonment of reason

    America is killing itself through its embrace and exaltation of ignorance, and the evidence is all around us. Dylann Roof, the Charleston shooter who used race as a basis for hate and mass murder, is just the latest horrific example. Many will correctly blame Roof's actions on America's culture of racism and gun violence, but it's time to realize that such phenomena are directly tied to the nation's culture of ignorance.

    In a country where a sitting congressman told a crowd that evolution and the Big Bang are “lies straight from the pit of hell,” where the chairman of a Senate environmental panel brought a snowball into the chamber as evidence that climate change is a hoax, where almost one in three citizens can’t name the vice president, it is beyond dispute that critical thinking has been abandoned as a cultural value. Our failure as a society to connect the dots, to see that such anti-intellectualism comes with a huge price, could eventually be our downfall.


    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...illing-america
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein

    America's future is bright, not white

    ברוך השם

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to guno For This Post:

    PoliTalker (04-15-2019)

  12. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,364
    Thanks
    8,852
    Thanked 11,294 Times in 5,716 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 742 Times in 688 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Especially the trump variety



    Let’s start with the good news. In a national survey released last week by the Pew Research Center, a solid majority of Americans, 55 percent, have positive views of higher education.

    But that finding camouflages a worrisome partisan split: The poll noted that while 72 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said higher education had a positive impact on the nation, 58 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning independents said it had a negative effect. Just 36 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said colleges and universities had a positive effect.

    \
    Even more troubling is that Republican support has cratered in two years, from 54 percent favorable in 2015 to 36 percent favorable today. There is no way to sugarcoat these findings for an industry that depends on widespread, deep public support to be effective. We ignore them at our peril.


    https://www.chronicle.com/article/Wh...s-Don-t/240691
    Aside from polling, there are multiple lines of evidence that conservatives abhor higher education, and literally admire and worship ignorance and buffoonery.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    guno (04-14-2019), midcan5 (04-22-2019), PoliTalker (04-15-2019), signalmankenneth (04-17-2019)

  14. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    23,574
    Thanks
    13,787
    Thanked 6,794 Times in 5,479 Posts
    Groans
    1,868
    Groaned 985 Times in 896 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Especially the trump variety



    Letís start with the good news. In a national survey released last week by the Pew Research Center, a solid majority of Americans, 55 percent, have positive views of higher education.

    But that finding camouflages a worrisome partisan split: The poll noted that while 72 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said higher education had a positive impact on the nation, 58 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning independents said it had a negative effect. Just 36 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said colleges and universities had a positive effect.

    \
    Even more troubling is that Republican support has cratered in two years, from 54 percent favorable in 2015 to 36 percent favorable today. There is no way to sugarcoat these findings for an industry that depends on widespread, deep public support to be effective. We ignore them at our peril.


    https://www.chronicle.com/article/Wh...s-Don-t/240691
    That's because we have too many useless majors. In Ireland, the government only supports funding of certain majors" engineering, mathematics, sciences, business. If you want a degree in history, sociology or gender studies, you've got to foot your own bill.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Soul For This Post:

    Truth Detector (04-15-2019)

  16. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    36,953
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked 4,600 Times in 4,177 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 387 Times in 376 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Remarkable.
    What's remarkable is that someone like you that didn't finish high school thinks he's educated.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to CFM For This Post:

    Truth Detector (04-15-2019)

  18. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    36,953
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked 4,600 Times in 4,177 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 387 Times in 376 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Aside from polling, there are multiple lines of evidence that conservatives abhor higher education, and literally admire and worship ignorance and buffoonery.
    Yet Democrats elected an unqualified black thinking skin color was a qualification.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to CFM For This Post:

    Truth Detector (04-15-2019)

  20. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    52,116
    Thanks
    3,267
    Thanked 15,230 Times in 10,542 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 581 Times in 548 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Especially the trump variety



    Let’s start with the good news. In a national survey released last week by the Pew Research Center, a solid majority of Americans, 55 percent, have positive views of higher education.

    But that finding camouflages a worrisome partisan split: The poll noted that while 72 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said higher education had a positive impact on the nation, 58 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning independents said it had a negative effect. Just 36 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said colleges and universities had a positive effect.

    \
    Even more troubling is that Republican support has cratered in two years, from 54 percent favorable in 2015 to 36 percent favorable today. There is no way to sugarcoat these findings for an industry that depends on widespread, deep public support to be effective. We ignore them at our peril.


    https://www.chronicle.com/article/Wh...s-Don-t/240691
    Based on what you posted it offers no explanation for why republicans/conservatives have issues with higher education.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

    Dark Soul (04-14-2019)

  22. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    23,574
    Thanks
    13,787
    Thanked 6,794 Times in 5,479 Posts
    Groans
    1,868
    Groaned 985 Times in 896 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Yet Democrats elected an unqualified black thinking skin color was a qualification.
    Pelosi, Mad Max, etc...

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Soul For This Post:

    Truth Detector (04-15-2019)

  24. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,542
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 589 Times in 543 Posts

    Default

    "HIGHER" learning? What's higher about it? kids who don't want to go to work and jusyt want to party on the college scene, borrowing thousands of dollars from the government to go get a worthless degree that has no value for them getting a job. Universities that raise their tuition every time the government raises the borrowing amount the idiot kids can borrow. Colleges where the students are taught the grandeur of communism & socialism. College campuses where conservative thought and conservative speakers are bullied, protested, threatened and even attacked, where freedom of speech once was the main curriculum is now spat at and prohibited. Major universities of renown offering Hollywood White Privileged acting creeps the opportunities to bribe their offspring's way into the limited and restricted college experience.

    Yeah! I think why Republicans hate colleges these days is a fucking no-brainer!
    "Government is force by definition and corruption by nature. The bigger the government, the greater the force and the greater the corruption."

  25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Post:

    Evmetro (04-15-2019), Into the Night (04-17-2019), RB 60 (04-16-2019), Truth Detector (04-15-2019)

  26. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    613
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 177 Times in 164 Posts
    Groans
    14
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    The Evangelical Rejection of Reason

    THE Republican presidential field has become a showcase of evangelical anti-intellectualism.
    Evangelicalism has nothing whatsoever to do with anti-intellectualism...

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Herman Cain, Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann deny that climate change is real and caused by humans.
    They are correct. It is not real. It is a circularly-defined buzzword religion. It outright rejects logic, science, and mathematics.

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Mr. Perry and Mrs. Bachmann dismiss evolution as an unproven theory.
    They are correct about that. Evolution is a religion. It cannot be proven or disproven (the theory isn't falsifiable). It is a theory about a past unobserved event.

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    The two candidates who espouse the greatest support for science, Mitt Romney and Jon M. Huntsman Jr., happen to be Mormons, a faith regarded with mistrust by many Christians.
    Good for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    The rejection of science seems to be part of a politically monolithic red-state fundamentalism,

    https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/o...of-reason.html
    It is actually AGW proponents who reject science. They reject the laws of thermodynamics and the stefan boltzmann law.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

    Dark Soul (04-15-2019), Truth Detector (04-15-2019)

  28. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,992
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 1,854 Times in 1,217 Posts
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 49 Times in 48 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    That's because we have too many useless majors. In Ireland, the government only supports funding of certain majors" engineering, mathematics, sciences, business.
    Is there evidence that many Republicans like degrees in math and science?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 124
    Last Post: 12-28-2015, 10:39 AM
  2. Higher education in England
    By Big Money in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM
  3. APP - High on Debt: Why Expensive Private Higher Education Works
    By I'm Watermark in forum Above Plain Politics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM
  4. How Higher Education Affects Lifetime Salary
    By The Dude in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
  5. Higher Education Fuels Stronger Belief in Ghosts
    By I <3 Hezbollah in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •