Members banned from this thread: tinfoil, Blackwater Lunchbreak, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Wolverine, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Evmetro, Superfreak, CharacterAssassin, RB 60, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, Joe Capitalist, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, Enlightened One, Anarchon, artichoke, Bobb, Earl and lisasanders1964

Thread: WhatEVER Happened To All Those Extremely Concerned Republican Deficit Hawks? Crickets

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default WhatEVER Happened To All Those Extremely Concerned Republican Deficit Hawks? Crickets

As President Trump's deficit in good times approaches the level of President Obama's deficit in a recession, people who are genuinely concerned should rightly be speaking out VERY loudly.

During President Obama's terms, we recovered from the Great Recession, an event which automatically forces the budget into large deficits. But his Republican opposition loudly and frequently carried on and on about the deficit. The country would go bankrupt and social order would unravel if the debt were allowed to rise too fast, they complained. Helping people in need was just too much spending. It was more important to keep the deficit low.

That was then.

This is now.

Now, the deficit is approaching a trillion dollars, but we are not hurting or trying to recover from anything. The economy is fine. So fine, in fact, that a lot of very rich people are getting very much richer, thanks to huge tax cuts for the rich, an unpopular act rushed through by Republicans after it looked like there was no major legislation President Trump could get passed, having just suffered a major defeat in their attempt to vote out ObamaCare.

Naturally, one would think that, with the deficit approaching A TRILLION DOLLARS more spending than revenue per year, all these Republican Deficit Hawks would be VERY CONCERNED. Speaking OUT. REPEATING their warnings LOUDLY.

Well, that would be giving them the benefit of the doubt, believing that they were actually concerned about the deficit back when they criticized President Obama for it. And they were wrong, btw. They said it would hurt the economy to add so much debt so quickly. Actually, the recovery took off, picked up steam, and never looked back. Apparently the Stimulus was the right thing to do. If anything, it should have been larger. That would have caused the recovery to be quicker and more robust.

But Republicans couldn't have that. No way they could watch as Democrats replaced them and quickly cleaned up the mess hatched under their care. So they came up with the phony complaints about the deficit.

And now we see just how phony those complaints were.

Because if they meant what they said back then, they would be complaining loudly now.

And what do we hear instead?

C*R*I*C*K*E*T*S !

cheap

cheap cheap

Federal Budget Deficit as of right now is: $909,554,500,000.00. (Click the link to see how much it has grown since this post.)

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 04-03-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-03-2019), ThatOwlWoman (04-03-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 41 Posts

Whatever happened to the media shills saying the deficit wasn't a problem?

Trump Hates the Trade Deficit. Most Economists Don’t.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/u...sts-trump.html
    The anti-Trumper's new mantra:

“B-b-but muh White supremacy”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heff For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-03-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wow.

In the time since I posted the OP, (about a half hour,) the Deficit has gone up $17 Million.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-03-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,797 Times in 17,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Cranking up the debt is the Republican plan. They want to make it big enough that they can justify ending all the social programs including food stamps, Medicare and Medicaid. This has been a long term plan that may be ready to be used now. Repubs slash taxes for the wealthy and jack up spending, especially military. This pattern was started by Reagan and has been percolating ever since. It is not an accident.
    Trump is not a politician and he is not too bright. But he found out if he wanted to do anything he had to follow that plan. He did.https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/u...cits-debt.html

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-03-2019)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Nordberg,

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Cranking up the debt is the Republican plan. They want to make it big enough that they can justify ending all the social programs including food stamps, Medicare and Medicaid. This has been a long term plan that may be ready to be used now. Repubs slash taxes for the wealthy and jack up spending, especially military. This pattern was started by Reagan and has been percolating ever since. It is not an accident.
    Trump is not a politician and he is not too bright. But he found out if he wanted to do anything he had to follow that plan. He did.https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/u...cits-debt.html
    Great link. Thanks for posting that:

"“I think it’s a little bit surprising and puzzling,” said Jason Furman, a former chairman of Mr. Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers, noting that trillion-dollar budget deficits is uncharted territory during a period of full employment. “We’ve never had anything like that outside of a war or a recession.”"

"Mr. Strain, of the American Enterprise Institute, suggested that for deficit reduction to become a prevailing policy for Republicans, another Democratic president might be required."

Good idea. Let's see if we can arrange for that.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What's the deficit today?

$935,779,500,000

How much bigger is it now than a while ago?

$935,779,500,000 - $909,554,500,000 = $26,225,000,000

Wow.

The deficit has gone up $26 Billion since I began this thread on 4-4-2019.

$26 Billion in 11 days.

It rises at over a billion a day.

We have to tax the rich more.

Remember. I'm just talking about the deficit here.

That's the difference between what we already owe and what we are adding onto the debt.

Can you say "insufficient revenue?"

This 'great economy' is a ticking time bomb.

It's gonna blow up!

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,850 Times in 3,130 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    What's the deficit today?

$935,779,500,000

How much bigger is it now than a while ago?

$935,779,500,000 - $909,554,500,000 = $26,225,000,000

Wow.

The deficit has gone up $26 Billion since I began this thread on 4-4-2019.

$26 Billion in 11 days.

It rises at over a billion a day.

We have to tax the rich more.

Remember. I'm just talking about the deficit here.

That's the difference between what we already owe and what we are adding onto the debt.

Can you say "insufficient revenue?"

This 'great economy' is a ticking time bomb.

It's gonna blow up!
    What about cutting spending?

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,192 Times in 13,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    As President Trump's deficit in good times approaches the level of President Obama's deficit in a recession, people who are genuinely concerned should rightly be speaking out VERY loudly.

During President Obama's terms, we recovered from the Great Recession, an event which automatically forces the budget into large deficits. But his Republican opposition loudly and frequently carried on and on about the deficit. The country would go bankrupt and social order would unravel if the debt were allowed to rise too fast, they complained. Helping people in need was just too much spending. It was more important to keep the deficit low.

That was then.

This is now.

Now, the deficit is approaching a trillion dollars, but we are not hurting or trying to recover from anything. The economy is fine. So fine, in fact, that a lot of very rich people are getting very much richer, thanks to huge tax cuts for the rich, an unpopular act rushed through by Republicans after it looked like there was no major legislation President Trump could get passed, having just suffered a major defeat in their attempt to vote out ObamaCare.

Naturally, one would think that, with the deficit approaching A TRILLION DOLLARS more spending than revenue per year, all these Republican Deficit Hawks would be VERY CONCERNED. Speaking OUT. REPEATING their warnings LOUDLY.

Well, that would be giving them the benefit of the doubt, believing that they were actually concerned about the deficit back when they criticized President Obama for it. And they were wrong, btw. They said it would hurt the economy to add so much debt so quickly. Actually, the recovery took off, picked up steam, and never looked back. Apparently the Stimulus was the right thing to do. If anything, it should have been larger. That would have caused the recovery to be quicker and more robust.

But Republicans couldn't have that. No way they could watch as Democrats replaced them and quickly cleaned up the mess hatched under their care. So they came up with the phony complaints about the deficit.

And now we see just how phony those complaints were.

Because if they meant what they said back then, they would be complaining loudly now.

And what do we hear instead?

C*R*I*C*K*E*T*S !

cheap

cheap cheap

Federal Budget Deficit as of right now is: $909,554,500,000.00. (Click the link to see how much it has grown since this post.)

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.
    The Republican Party has become a joke, not only deficits/debt but also family values, free trade, limited executive power, judicial restraint, and other supposed principles they told us for decades were the core principles of conservationism. Appears Republican values really depend upon who occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Ave

And the biggest clowns are the GOP Senators who ever time Trump comes up with something outrageous they scream and yell that they are opposed to it but when the chips fall they are right on board with their yes votes

It is going to take the party years to re brand itself after Trump because right now they stand for nothing

13. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-15-2019)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello archives,

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    The Republican Party has become a joke, not only deficits/debt but also family values, free trade, limited executive power, judicial restraint, and other supposed principles they told us for decades were the core principles of conservationism. Appears Republican values really depend upon who occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Ave

And the biggest clowns are the GOP Senators who ever time Trump comes up with something outrageous they scream and yell that they are opposed to it but when the chips fall they are right on board with their yes votes

It is going to take the party years to re brand itself after Trump because right now they stand for nothing
    The fixers for the super-rich. That's what the Republican party is now.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello gfm7175,

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    What about cutting spending?
    If we cut that much spending the economy would implode. Most of that spending gets used to pay people to do things. They would all get laid off, stop making mortgage payments, credit card payments, student loan payments, car payments, etc. And the government would have to pay their Unemployment Compensation. All those people who were making all those payments before their paychecks got eliminated also made a lot of payments to the IRS. With fewer people working, revenue would drop. This would force you to cut more government spending in a death spiral loop of a race to the bottom.

Please proceed with this idea of massive government spending cuts only if you want to implode the economy.

Fortunately, you will not find enough voting lawmakers ready to sign off on catastrophic spending cuts which would have their constituents very made at them for killing their businesses and jobs.

If you want to know what our economy would be like without massive government spending, just take a look at Puerto Rico. We used to have far more federal spending there, military bases and the associated spin-off economy. Nearly all of that got nixed, cut way back, and their economy imploded. They didn't have any voting representatives to stop it.