Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Wolverine, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Evmetro, Superfreak, CharacterAssassin, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, Joe Capitalist, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, Enlightened One, Anarchon, artichoke, Bobb, Earl and lisasanders1964

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America Not Great. Life Expectancy Declines Since Trump Elected: Suicides, Drug Abuse

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default America Not Great. Life Expectancy Declines Since Trump Elected: Suicides, Drug Abuse

People are finding life increasingly depressing in Trump's America.

In some cases, just too depressing to want to live.

Suicides are up.

Drug abuse is up.

Alcoholism up.

It doesn't seem like Trump is making America great at all.

He seems to be making America a very depressing place to live.

Wall Street is doing great.

Main Street, not so good.

Where are the good secure jobs with good benefits he promised?

Many people are finding the American Dream just too elusive.

Under President Trump's leadership, they have lost hope, lost the will to live.

It's so sad having this narcissistic conman in the White House.

We have little to look up to besides hatred and vitriol.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

Life Expectancy In Decline
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

iolo (04-02-2019), Phantasmal (04-01-2019), reagansghost (04-01-2019), signalmankenneth (04-01-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

You do realize that suicide is an indication of mental illness? So what you're saying is all these anti-Trumpers are nuttier than a squirrel turd.
    https://dominionhospital.com/blog/en...ead-to-suicide
    Do you really think these people should be voting?
    It suddenly becomes clear why pelosi wants 16 year olds and illegal aliens to vote. All your loony tunes are offing themselves!
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

Earl (04-02-2019), RB 60 (04-02-2019), Stretch (04-01-2019), Truth Detector (04-01-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Callinectes Ocasio-Cortez View Post
    You do realize that suicide is an indication of mental illness? So what you're saying is all these anti-Trumpers are nuttier than a squirrel turd.
    It suddenly becomes clear why pelosi wants 16 year olds and illegal aliens to vote. All your loony tunes are offing themselves!
    But it's not just people opposed to Trump who are killing themselves. Suicide is getting worse across the country and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it being worse for some people based on their politics.

7. The Following User Groans At StoneByStone For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-01-2019)

9. #4 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    But it's not just people opposed to Trump who are killing themselves. Suicide is getting worse across the country and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it being worse for some people based on their politics.
    Suicides have increased dramatically for young people, many still in HS. When I was in HS, I can't recall one, yet in my 4 county area there have been several in the last year, 2 from the same HS in a month.
    I doubt they were politically motivated, hell one was a straight A student and others from solid and decent families. Many of those out of school (in their 20's) have died from heroin overdoses. What is wrong with young people today, almost none of this shit happened when I was young?

Why have so many others become so "offended" by damn near everything? No one was ever "offended" by manger scenes during Christmas. No one was "offended" by monuments. Hell, some colleges had cry-ins and some even cancelled classes after the presidential election. The left has started all this racial division by saying anyone who opposed Obama was opposed because of him being black when the truth is most were opposed to his policies and not his race. The political divide has worsened dramatically in my lifetime and it seems liberals are fanning the flames of this division.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Callinectes (04-01-2019), Earl (04-02-2019), Stretch (04-01-2019), Truth Detector (04-01-2019)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Oh, I agree wholeheartedly! But I'll bet you can't get politalker to change his tune. When I was in HS(class of 1975), there were 175 million people in this country and we were already talking about over population, global COOLING was everyone's boogeyman, and gas was approaching 50 cents a gallon! A half century later, the population has just about doubled along with statistics for all these bad things(except global cooling, that has evidently reversed itself to global warming). This is only logical, and history is full of situations that illustrate this phenomenon. I'm tired of chicken liberals screaming that the sky is falling and conservatives are causing it. I mean really, look at the doomsday scenarios they come up with! I'm constantly amazed at the pictures of hell on earth they paint, and tell their brain dead zombie followers that the only way to reverse it is to vote in "progressives" that will throw tax payer money at the beast. You want to cut down on so-called Trump induced suicides? Stop making him out to be the anti-Christ!
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

― mao tse-tung

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)

13. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Callinectes Ocasio-Cortez,

The biggest increase in deaths of despair is among middle-aged white men. ie, the Trump crowd.

Deaths of despair are categorized by suicides, drug overdoes, and alcoholism.

It has been documented that white men are feeling displaced by feminism. White men used to be 'king of the castle.' They were the sole bread-winners back in the age of one-income families. Capitalism eroded the instances of one-earner families as it decimated the middle class, which required women to go to work. As soon as women began bringing home the bacon, white men lost their dominance in the family, and began to feel displaced.

That's why deaths of despair are way up among white men, and why they voted for Donald Trump (out of desperation.)

No wonder the right is terrified of this 29yo taco waitress who got elected.

All they have is voting for a narcissist, liar, racist, conman, and cheat.

And they have to try to justify Trump.

No wonder they are so depressed.

Nobody would really want to be in that position by choice.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

14. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=PoliTalker;2965613]Hello Callinectes Ocasio-Cortez,

The biggest increase in deaths of despair is among middle-aged white men. ie, the Trump crowd.
    Actually, there's more of them, which might account for something
    Does it seem likely that "middle-aged white men. ie, the Trump crowd" would elect him and then turn to drug overdoes and alcoholism, then commit suicide?

It has been documented that white men are feeling displaced by feminism. White men used to be 'king of the castle.' They were the sole bread-winners back in the age of one-income families. Capitalism eroded the instances of one-earner families as it decimated the middle class, which required women to go to work. As soon as women began bringing home the bacon, white men lost their dominance in the family, and began to feel displaced.
    Link up please. And I think you will find that world war two, rather than capitalism, "required" women to go to work, and at the end of the war, many women found work much more interesting and fulfilling than the drudgery of housework. Hell, in the 1960's my mom made a little more than my dad and both of them lived into their late eighties

That's why deaths of despair are way up among white men, and why they voted for Donald Trump (out of desperation.)
    Once again, why would they vote for Trump, turn to drugs and alcohol, then commit suicide?
    No wonder the right is terrified of this 29yo taco waitress who got elected.
    AOC is morale gear, not something to be "terrified" of
    All they have is not voting for a narcissist, liar, racist, conWOman, and cheat.
    FTFY

And they have to try to justify Trump.
    Who are we "justifying" him to?

No wonder they are so depressed.
    Again, where are you getting this notion? I am a middle-aged white male Trump voter who hangs out with a lot of middle-aged white men(and women)who voted for Trump! We are the opposite of a bunch of depressed, suicidal alcoholics and drug addicts!

Nobody would really want to be in that position by choice.
    The only way I can see to avoid becoming a depressed, suicidal alcoholic and/or drug addicted white male is to NOT vote democrat!
    ― Mao Tse-tung

― mao tse-tung

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)

17. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

Typical for a right wing coward to call veterans who served their country, not just their own self pleasures, "nuttier than a squirrel turd".

I would bet you support Trumps cutting of funding for mental health services too.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-proposal-cuts
    Last edited by Old Trapper; 04-01-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

18. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

Perhaps these middle aged white men are taking what the liberals say about them to heart. Us middle aged white guys are constantly being told that we are the cause of all the world's problems.

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    Typical for a right wing coward to call veterans who served their country, not just their own self pleasures, "nuttier than a squirrel turd".

I would bet you support Trumps cutting of funding for mental health services too.

I am one of those veterans who served their country, in two wars. We are not talking about those tortured souls(who are, unfortunately and not by any fault of their own, mentally ill). We are discussing depressed white, drug addicted alcoholic men who evidently voted for Trump and then committed suicide. I feel safe calling them nuts because I don't think there are any of them out there, and if any of you little lefty twinkle puffs out there want to self identify as suicidal white male alcoholic drug addicts who voted for Trump, I got a message for you: You're nuttier than a squirrel turd. Put down the crack pipe, dump the booze down the drain(or give it to me, I drink responsibly), get a hobby and join a 12 step program(no joke, they work, one of the reasons my dad lived a long life). How can you let ANY politician live rent free in your head like that?
    ― Mao Tse-tung

― mao tse-tung

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

POLITALKER,

Certainly your research shows these are longer-term trends than since Trump took office. That is simplistic claptrap but not as much as implying presidents have anything to do with these factors.

"Since 1999, the number of drug overdose deaths has more than quadrupled. Deaths attributed to opioids were nearly six times greater in 2017 than they were in 1999."

That damn Bush and Obama!

"By the revised measure, life expectancy in 2015 and 2016 was flat, at 78.7, a decline from 78.9 in 2014. Any revision for 2017’s estimate of 78.6 years will come next year.

In a third report, the government detailed the ongoing growth of deaths from suicide, which has climbed steadily since 1999 and grown worse since 2006."

That damn Bush and Obama

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Callinectes (04-02-2019)

22. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Callinectes Ocasio-Cortez,

Actually, there's more of them, which might account for something
    Except it didn't before the deaths of despair rose. Our life expectancy rose until Trump began his election campaign. Then it has dropped every year since. Wow. He sure is a downer.

Does it seem likely that "middle-aged white men. ie, the Trump crowd" would elect him and then turn to drug overdoes and alcoholism, then commit suicide?
    It makes all the sense in the world. Trump has not brought back secure well-paying jobs with good benefits. Wall Street is doing great, Main Street is still struggling.

Link up please. And I think you will find that world war two, rather than capitalism, "required" women to go to work, and at the end of the war, many women found work much more interesting and fulfilling than the drudgery of housework. Hell, in the 1960's my mom made a little more than my dad and both of them lived into their late eighties
    The 1950's and 1960's were a period of one-earner households. Women's lib began long after WWII.

Once again, why would they vote for Trump, turn to drugs and alcohol, then commit suicide?
    Because despite all the rhetoric they are not finding that America is any greater for them.

Who are we "justifying" him to?
    You are justifying him to yourselves. You know he is dirty. You would never give a liberal candidate nor office-holder the kinds of free passes you give Trump. Imagine if Hillary had made a derogatory comment about being able to do as she pleases with men's genitals since she is a big star. Then imagine everybody on the right excusing that by saying it was just locker room talk. FAT CHANCE. Imagine if her personal lawyer testified that she is a racist, a con artist, and a cheat. Sure, you would giver her a big fat free pass on that one too. When pigs fly, you would.

Again, where are you getting this notion? I am a middle-aged white male Trump voter who hangs out with a lot of middle-aged white men(and women)who voted for Trump! We are the opposite of a bunch of depressed, suicidal alcoholics and drug addicts!
    Then you fall into the category who most likely has investments and perceived that Trump would be best for the stock market, so you have found a way to hand out free passes, look the other way, do whatever needed to justify his actions; which, if a Democrat had done that stuff you would be all over their case for it.

The only way I can see to avoid becoming a depressed, suicidal alcoholic and/or drug addicted white male is to NOT vote democrat!
    Because you believe it would cost you money to help the less fortunate more with such things as universal health care, climate change action, and government assistance programs. And you find it bothersome to be helping the poor when you blame them for their own condition. A condition which is actually caused largely by improperly regulated capitalism, and systematic wealth extraction.

It should also be noted that you edited my quotes. Why on Earth are you afraid to respond to what I actually said? Is it because your position is so weak that you feel you have to pretend I said something besides what I actually said? If you are rewriting what I said, and then responding to your rewrite, you are really just having a conversation with yourself.

If you wish to have a conversation with someone you have to let them say what they want to say. You only get to say your part. Otherwise you're not really having a conversation with anybody else, you're just talking to yourself.

If you find it so difficult to respond to what I said, and instead have to pretend I said something else, you're only fooling yourself. Openly fooling yourself is a pretty strong indicator that you don't really have confidence in your own position. If your position was rock solid you would not have to fool yourself. All you would have to do is properly quote me without any edits, then deliver your good strong counter-position. Since you don't do that you have to fool yourself and make up my part and yours so you can control the conversation. Except then it's not really a conversation at all. It's one person giving both sides, then agreeing with himself. IOW, Fiction.

It really causes me to believe more strongly in my position when the only way people can find to counter it is to pretend it's really something else easier to tear up.

Classic failed straw man argument.

You claimed I said:

"All they have is not voting for a narcissist, liar, racist, conWOman, and cheat."

I really said:

"All they have is voting for a narcissist, liar, racist, conman, and cheat."

(no wonder they are depressed.)

23. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)

24. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Old Trapper,

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post

Trump needs to fund some mental health services for himself.

25. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Sirthinksalot,

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    Perhaps these middle aged white men are taking what the liberals say about them to heart. Us middle aged white guys are constantly being told that we are the cause of all the world's problems.
    "Us middle aged white guys are constantly being told that we are the cause of all the world's problems."

Sounds like a pretty big exaggeration, mixed with a strong dose of victimhood.

27. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)

28. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    POLITALKER,

Certainly your research shows these are longer-term trends than since Trump took office. That is simplistic claptrap but not as much as implying presidents have anything to do with these factors.

"Since 1999, the number of drug overdose deaths has more than quadrupled. Deaths attributed to opioids were nearly six times greater in 2017 than they were in 1999."

That damn Bush and Obama!

"By the revised measure, life expectancy in 2015 and 2016 was flat, at 78.7, a decline from 78.9 in 2014. Any revision for 2017’s estimate of 78.6 years will come next year.

In a third report, the government detailed the ongoing growth of deaths from suicide, which has climbed steadily since 1999 and grown worse since 2006."

That damn Bush and Obama
    I blame improperly regulated capitalism and the class war. Trump didn't originate that, he has only made it worse.

29. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-02-2019)