Thread: Nearing the end....

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Nearing the end....

My dog that I adopted 16 years ago turned 17 last October. She's 21#, a mix of 7 terriers on one side and on the other, the DNA tester had no clue.

She's literally got thousands of miles on her. We used to hike in the woods behind my house daily, off leash, so a mile for me would be five of more for her. She's been hiking and backpacking all over the Southern Appalachians, was a pal to my kids and a terror to animals, small and not so small.

When I first got her we kept her inside or leashed for two weeks. After that I figured that she knew where home was, so I let her off her leash in the backyard with my kids. After a few minutes, boom, she was off into the woods. My daughter was terrified, but what could I do? And hour later she came back, dragging the thigh bone from a deer.

She was completely unable to walk with a leash and collar, and would strain ahead. A harness fixed that.

She caught several rabbits. I'd skin them and cook them for her. Once I heard crying in the woods, and took off after her to find her dragging a fawn that weighed as much as she did.

I bought her a little backpack for hiking. Weighed down with 5# of rocks, she turned into pack mode, and trucked right along ahead of us.

The miles eventually got the best of both rear legs, ACL injuries. My vet wanted to do surgery, would incapacitate her up for six weeks. I opted for the "do nothing" option, as the former would have surely killed her. So she limps a bit.

She's mostly blind now and almost completely deaf. But the nose still works and the tail still wags.

She's always had table scraps, and I've had her on a fresh food diet for a long time. Chicken thighs, rice made with whey, carrots cooked in chicken broth. That has definitely made her healthier. A raw egg once in a while.

Two years ago she developed some kind of bladder issue. Huge uptake of water and pissing ever 30 minutes, It worried the crap out if her (she doesn't like to make a mistake in the house). My wife diagnosed it, as our Vet had no clue. A $1 pill cut in half every other day manages it.

Our walks now are at most a few hundred feet. Scents along the curb are still Facebook for her.

On Sunday she had a mild seizure while on our walk. She ran a few steps, stopped on the shoulder of the road, tripped then fell over. While on the ground she arched her back in pain, stopped breathing. I stroked her back to try and clam the trembling. After a half minute her breathe restarted. She came to and could barely walk, so I carried her home. Within an hour she was back to normal. Her old self normal anyway.

My wife told me to get myself ready. I am.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Aimée (03-27-2019), countryboy (03-27-2019), Truth Detector (03-27-2019), USFREEDOM911 (03-25-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Aw, so sorry. Bless you for giving her a wonderful life. May she run free beyond the Veil, and greet you when you come home again.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Aimée (03-28-2019), countryboy (03-27-2019), MAGA MAN (03-25-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

It's tough to lose one of the family.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Truth Detector (03-27-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    My dog that I adopted 16 years ago turned 17 last October. She's 21#, a mix of 7 terriers on one side and on the other, the DNA tester had no clue.

She's literally got thousands of miles on her. We used to hike in the woods behind my house daily, off leash, so a mile for me would be five of more for her. She's been hiking and backpacking all over the Southern Appalachians, was a pal to my kids and a terror to animals, small and not so small.

When I first got her we kept her inside or leashed for two weeks. After that I figured that she knew where home was, so I let her off her leash in the backyard with my kids. After a few minutes, boom, she was off into the woods. My daughter was terrified, but what could I do? And hour later she came back, dragging the thigh bone from a deer.

She was completely unable to walk with a leash and collar, and would strain ahead. A harness fixed that.

She caught several rabbits. I'd skin them and cook them for her. Once I heard crying in the woods, and took off after her to find her dragging a fawn that weighed as much as she did.

I bought her a little backpack for hiking. Weighed down with 5# of rocks, she turned into pack mode, and trucked right along ahead of us.

The miles eventually got the best of both rear legs, ACL injuries. My vet wanted to do surgery, would incapacitate her up for six weeks. I opted for the "do nothing" option, as the former would have surely killed her. So she limps a bit.

She's mostly blind now and almost completely deaf. But the nose still works and the tail still wags.

She's always had table scraps, and I've had her on a fresh food diet for a long time. Chicken thighs, rice made with whey, carrots cooked in chicken broth. That has definitely made her healthier. A raw egg once in a while.

Two years ago she developed some kind of bladder issue. Huge uptake of water and pissing ever 30 minutes, It worried the crap out if her (she doesn't like to make a mistake in the house). My wife diagnosed it, as our Vet had no clue. A $1 pill cut in half every other day manages it.

Our walks now are at most a few hundred feet. Scents along the curb are still Facebook for her.

On Sunday she had a mild seizure while on our walk. She ran a few steps, stopped on the shoulder of the road, tripped then fell over. While on the ground she arched her back in pain, stopped breathing. I stroked her back to try and clam the trembling. After a half minute her breathe restarted. She came to and could barely walk, so I carried her home. Within an hour she was back to normal. Her old self normal anyway.

I am so sorry. They do become such a big part of us, and leave a big void behind when they go.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

Truth Detector (03-27-2019)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

We lost a dog nearly that old. I could never bear to get another.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry man. It's never easy losing a family member. Sounds like you had some great times though.
    Every life matters

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind words, but some here may have misinterpreted. She's still doing "old self normal" well. Took a massive poop this morning!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Aimée (03-28-2019), countryboy (03-27-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2019), TOP (03-27-2019)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,414 Times in 16,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    We lost a dog nearly that old. I could never bear to get another.
    a Dog‘s Last will and Testament...‘

Before humans‘ die, they write their last will and testament...Give their home and all they have to‘ those they leave behind...If, with my paws, could do the same, this is what I would ask.... To the poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared, shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…
    The love I left behind.
    – Author Unknown
    Last edited by TOP; 03-27-2019 at 09:29 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Post:

Aimée (03-28-2019), iolo (03-27-2019), MAGA MAN (03-27-2019)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,414 Times in 16,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind words, but some here may have misinterpreted. She's still doing "old self normal" well. Took a massive poop this morning!
    Get some CBD oil....

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,334 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

That is amazing that she lived this long. Sorry for what is coming; I know personally how you feel.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Aimée (03-28-2019), MAGA MAN (03-27-2019)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,334 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Aw, so sorry. Bless you for giving her a wonderful life. May she run free beyond the Veil, and greet you when you come home again.
    That brought tears to my eyes.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Aimée (03-28-2019)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Bump
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yesterday was her last day. Eighteen years, three months and seven days.

For the last couple of weeks she was getting disoriented, not knowing how to get back in the house after doing her outside duties. I really had to keep an eye on her around both houses, making sure that she didn't walk off the top of a porch or retaining wall. Along with her sight and hearing, she seemed to have lost her sense of smell and taste. On Monday night my mountain home neighbor came over and brought two prime steaks which I grilled to perfection and the old girl wasn't interested in having any of the leftovers. On the 2-hour drive back to the city I thought about it long and hard, and once we got home and I unpacked the car I told my wife that I would be taking her to the vet the next day.

In the morning I made a 3:30 pm appointment. I had a site visit in the morning and left her at home; she slept in the living room the entire time that I was gone. I woke her up and took her for a walk, then gave her a hot dog, her favorite food, followed up by some chicken breast until she was full. It was nice weather in the afternoon so we went outside and she sniffed around in my neighbor's yard, causing their dog to back which was one of her favorite pastimes. She had a few minutes of wag time- the most I've seen in weeks.

My vet has a rear entrance and dedicated parking space for the "comfort room". Ring the bell and they buzz you in. I brought her favorite bed with us and sat with her on the couch. Twenty minutes later she was gone. Forever.

I carried her in her bed to the passenger seat of the car, then drove straight up to my mountain home, her favorite place on earth and where she watched me build that house. I arranged her on the floor of the garage, tucked into the corners of her bed as a neat little package. Then I made myself a frozen dinner and downed a half-bottle of scotch. Before I went to bed I checked on her and made sure her eyes were closed.

Just after six I woke and it was still dark out. Hungover. Felt terrible in so many ways. Ate breakfast and drank a pot of coffee. To waste time I collected all her unused food, her raised bowls, collection of leashes, coats, and arranged it for distribution to whoever will need it. The sun came up so I put a coat on, moved the snow off of my lupine garden and dug her grave.

It was cold and windy. I used an old tarp to protect the lawn and placed the deep topsoil on it. Rich, organic and black, it contains my portion of my Mother's ashes. Once I got to the sand and clay I stored that in a second pile. I wrapped her in her favorite blanket, tied a bow using pink surveyor's ribbon and gently positioned her on the bottom of the hole. Sand and clay first, gently compacting and filling voids, then covered it up with the precious topsoil. I threw the tarp away then dressed the area with a leaf rake, removing my footprints and covering the area with an even layer of white snow. Then I showered, fresh clothes, took out the trash and drove back to the city.

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was watching my girl closely as fter ten years as her 50% mastiff was going to mean a short life with us. She started slowing down little be little. At last bladder control started failing and it wasnt long after that it was time.
    I miss her terribly, best dog ever.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

MAGA MAN (01-08-2020)