Members banned from this thread: evince, moon and Micawber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California acknowledges government policy failures in wildfires – not climate BS

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default California acknowledges government policy failures in wildfires – not climate BS

About time as well, it is beginning to look like the grown-ups are back in charge. So screw arseholes like Kunzgar, Moontwat, Arsecheese and others with their pathetic 'raking' jokes.

Articles in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and Orange County Register address Governor Newsom’s declaration of a state of emergency to allow the state to waive environmental extremist laws and regulations that are needed so that Cal Fire can proceed with actions to clear dead trees, remove excessive undergrowth, thin out excessive tree growth and crowding, use prescribed fire, etc. to improve forest health and decrease Ca. wildfire risks.
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/03/...hange-excuses/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Bigdog (03-25-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What, none of the raking clowns want to apologize? How about Kunzgar?
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-25-2019 at 03:43 PM.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Bump

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

While this is a good start, much of the land, forested land is owned by & "managed" by the various federal depts & I can assure you they are as bad, if not worse..

I see huge piles of dead trees along various stretches of highways while out hiking & snowshoeing but few have been burned do to lots of above average rain but it is good to see they are beginning to address this.

As an example from a local source:

Trump blames California for wildfires, but many of the worst have been on federal land
    Damon Arthur, Redding Record Searchlight Published 5:53 p.m. PT Nov. 11, 2018 | Updated 4:02 p.m. PT Jan. 9, 2019

"I am so scared right now. So terrified." Courtesy of Mariah Bush, Redding Record Searchlight
    Camp Fire in Butte County, CaliforniaBuy Photo

President Trump is again blaming California's 2018's devastating wildfires on forest mismanagement and threatening to withhold FEMA funds from Camp Fire victims.

In a Wednesday morning tweet, Trump said the fires that killed more than 90 people last year would not have happened had the state's forests been properly managed.

It wan't the first time the president blamed California officials for mismanaging forests, which led to fires that burned hundreds of thousands of acres in 2018.

Just after the Camp Fire in Butte County broke out Nov. 8, Trump sent out a tweet blaming the fires on forest mismanagement in California.

Critics, however, pointed out much of the acreage burned was on federally managed land.

The largest blaze in state history, the 410,200-acre Ranch Fire, this past summer burned on large swaths of land managed by the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management in Mendocino and nearby counties north of San Francisco.

In Shasta County, last summer's 229,650-acre Carr Fire started on National Park Service lands before spreading to private property and eventually into the city of Redding.

The Hirz and Delta fires also burned mostly Forest Service lands in Shasta County just after the Carr Fire died down. Between the two, they consumed 109,500 acres, according to Cal Fire.

Even the Camp Fire, which has become the most destructive fire in the state's history, started either on or very close to the national forest before spreading to private property to the west.

In November, however, as the death toll rose and damage estimates came in from the Camp Fire, Trump threatened in his tweet to withhold federal aid to California until forest management is improved.

"There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor," Trump tweeted. "Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"

Cal Fire spokesman Scott McLean said then that he didn't want to address the president's tweet, except to say it raised questions about what areas the president was talking about.

"We have things to do right now," he said of the fires burning out of control around the state, including the Camp Fire.

Critics on Twitter questioned whether Trump could legally withhold FEMA money that has been appropriated.

State officials accused Trump of playing politics with the California wildfires and said he does not understand the issues involved in fighting fires. They questioned whether Trump is going after California because it is a Democratic state.

Brian Rice, president of the California Professional Firefighters, cited the damage in and around Paradise, California. He told USA Today that Butte County residents "have only begun to be able to rebuild their lives. ... Now, they find themselves being used as pawns in the president’s ill-informed chest-pounding at their expense."

Rice said Trump is wrong to blame the fires on state forest management.

"While forest health can be a contributing factor in large fires," he noted, "more than 60 percent of these forests are controlled by the federal government, not California."

The Ranch Fire, which burned 410,203 acres north of Clear Lake, consumed mostly Forest Service and BLM land.

The Camp Fire, which started Nov. 8 within or near the Forest Service boundary, burned 153,336 acres. Most of the area burned, however, was outside the national forest.

When Trump blamed California's management of the forests for the wildfires in his Nov. 10 tweet, the Camp Fire had tied a 1933 blaze in Los Angeles as the deadliest wildfire in the state's history, with 29 people killed. At the time, it already was by far the most destructive with 6,713 buildings torched.

The fire has since become the deadliest, with at least 86 people killed. A total of 18,804 structures were destroyed, and of those, about 14,000 were homes.
    The largest wildfires in California history

Another way to look at the scale of wildfires is acreage, rather than structure loss. In November, nine of the state's largest fires burned in the past 20 years and all of those within large sections of federal land, according to Cal Fire records. Most of those large fires included some mix of federal and private land.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    While this is a good start, much of the land, forested land is owned by & "managed" by the various federal depts & I can assure you they are as bad, if not worse..

I see huge piles of dead trees along various stretches of highways while out hiking & snowshoeing but few have been burned do to lots of above average rain but it is good to see they are beginning to address this.

As an example from a local source:

Trump blames California for wildfires, but many of the worst have been on federal land
    Damon Arthur, Redding Record Searchlight Published 5:53 p.m. PT Nov. 11, 2018 | Updated 4:02 p.m. PT Jan. 9, 2019

"I am so scared right now. So terrified." Courtesy of Mariah Bush, Redding Record Searchlight
    Camp Fire in Butte County, CaliforniaBuy Photo

President Trump is again blaming California's 2018's devastating wildfires on forest mismanagement and threatening to withhold FEMA funds from Camp Fire victims.

In a Wednesday morning tweet, Trump said the fires that killed more than 90 people last year would not have happened had the state's forests been properly managed.

It wan't the first time the president blamed California officials for mismanaging forests, which led to fires that burned hundreds of thousands of acres in 2018.

Just after the Camp Fire in Butte County broke out Nov. 8, Trump sent out a tweet blaming the fires on forest mismanagement in California.

Critics, however, pointed out much of the acreage burned was on federally managed land.

The largest blaze in state history, the 410,200-acre Ranch Fire, this past summer burned on large swaths of land managed by the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management in Mendocino and nearby counties north of San Francisco.

In Shasta County, last summer's 229,650-acre Carr Fire started on National Park Service lands before spreading to private property and eventually into the city of Redding.

The Hirz and Delta fires also burned mostly Forest Service lands in Shasta County just after the Carr Fire died down. Between the two, they consumed 109,500 acres, according to Cal Fire.

Even the Camp Fire, which has become the most destructive fire in the state's history, started either on or very close to the national forest before spreading to private property to the west.

In November, however, as the death toll rose and damage estimates came in from the Camp Fire, Trump threatened in his tweet to withhold federal aid to California until forest management is improved.

"There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor," Trump tweeted. "Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"

Cal Fire spokesman Scott McLean said then that he didn't want to address the president's tweet, except to say it raised questions about what areas the president was talking about.

"We have things to do right now," he said of the fires burning out of control around the state, including the Camp Fire.

Critics on Twitter questioned whether Trump could legally withhold FEMA money that has been appropriated.

State officials accused Trump of playing politics with the California wildfires and said he does not understand the issues involved in fighting fires. They questioned whether Trump is going after California because it is a Democratic state.

Brian Rice, president of the California Professional Firefighters, cited the damage in and around Paradise, California. He told USA Today that Butte County residents "have only begun to be able to rebuild their lives. ... Now, they find themselves being used as pawns in the president’s ill-informed chest-pounding at their expense."

Rice said Trump is wrong to blame the fires on state forest management.

"While forest health can be a contributing factor in large fires," he noted, "more than 60 percent of these forests are controlled by the federal government, not California."

The Ranch Fire, which burned 410,203 acres north of Clear Lake, consumed mostly Forest Service and BLM land.

The Camp Fire, which started Nov. 8 within or near the Forest Service boundary, burned 153,336 acres. Most of the area burned, however, was outside the national forest.

When Trump blamed California's management of the forests for the wildfires in his Nov. 10 tweet, the Camp Fire had tied a 1933 blaze in Los Angeles as the deadliest wildfire in the state's history, with 29 people killed. At the time, it already was by far the most destructive with 6,713 buildings torched.

The fire has since become the deadliest, with at least 86 people killed. A total of 18,804 structures were destroyed, and of those, about 14,000 were homes.
    The largest wildfires in California history

Another way to look at the scale of wildfires is acreage, rather than structure loss. In November, nine of the state's largest fires burned in the past 20 years and all of those within large sections of federal land, according to Cal Fire records. Most of those large fires included some mix of federal and private land.
    Yes but this is Governor Newsom saying this, so hopefully the eco-loonys will be put back in their boxes and common sense prevail.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Yes but this is Governor Newsom saying this, so hopefully the eco-loonys will be put back in their boxes and common sense prevail.
    I hike w/ many of them, including the Sierra club leaders.. Some of them have a clue, others I dunno wtf is wrong w/ their thinking...

One friend of mine that I hike etc w/ just became a leader w/ the Sierra Club & worked 20 years in a saw hill in Northern Calif but I don't think he talks about it..lol

It is a serious problem that has only gotten worse each & every year since they closed almost every saw mill in the state..

I am hopeful this will be part of the solution, if they don't take out a # of trees each year, they are just going to burn somewhere down the road~the natural order..

Unfortunately many tens of thousands of ppl have built out in the woods & haven't a clue on how to clear & maintain their property..

I have listen to many locals discuss what happened to them as well as mistakes they & the builders made.

One particularly stands out about a women that had a custom house in a "planned community" in the hills above Napa, Ca...

When they got their lot they noticed burnt tree stumps right on the property & she said that should have been a warning to her~she got out on a road w/ flames on all sides, losing a pet & everything they owned.. There was no warning, the warning was given 10 mins after that..... SAD!!!

The local officials all blamed each other but sadly they had no real preparation to deal w/ a fire on that scale~nor do they now & yet many are building right now in the same locations.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

What, none of the raking clowns want to apologize? How about Kunzgar?

You're being a moron again just go take a nap

9. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-25-2019)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

I hike w/ many of them, including the Sierra club leaders.. Some of them have a clue, others I dunno wtf is wrong w/ their thinking...

One friend of mine that I hike etc w/ just became a leader w/ the Sierra Club & worked 20 years in a saw hill in Northern Calif but I don't think he talks about it..lol

It is a serious problem that has only gotten worse each & every year since they closed almost every saw mill in the state..

I am hopeful this will be part of the solution, if they don't take out a # of trees each year, they are just going to burn somewhere down the road~the natural order..

Unfortunately many tens of thousands of ppl have built out in the woods & haven't a clue on how to clear & maintain their property..

I have listen to many locals discuss what happened to them as well as mistakes they & the builders made.

One particularly stands out about a women that had a custom house in a "planned community" in the hills above Napa, Ca...

When they got their lot they noticed burnt tree stumps right on the property & she said that should have been a warning to her~she got out on a road w/ flames on all sides, losing a pet & everything they owned.. There was no warning, the warning was given 10 mins after that..... SAD!!!

The local officials all blamed each other but sadly they had no real preparation to deal w/ a fire on that scale~nor do they now & yet many are building right now in the same locations.
    I worked for a property maintenance company for the couple years I lived in Arnold. I raked a LOT of pine needles, lol. But, was always flabbergasted at the state rule against cutting dead standing trees on state lands. Of course, we would cut them anyways. But if you were caught, fines were very high. Are you even allowed to heat with wood anymore?
    Every life matters

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Go take a crap, you're full of it Andy!!

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes exactly, they are all too busy trying to blame each other, and climate change, to admit their past mistakes. It's huMAN natURE.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pasty faced goyim with gooky View Post
    About time as well, it is beginning to look like the grown-ups are back in charge. So screw arseholes like Kunzgar, Moontwat, Arsecheese and others with their pathetic 'raking' jokes.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/03/...hange-excuses/
    As if you have anything to do with America

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I worked for a property maintenance company for the couple years I lived in Arnold. I raked a LOT of pine needles, lol. But, was always flabbergasted at the state rule against cutting dead standing trees on state lands. Of course, we would cut them anyways. But if you were caught, fines were very high. Are you even allowed to heat with wood anymore?

I dunno where you were exactly but Arnold is right in the National Forest, the Stanislaus National Forest.......

I have been there many times, love those big trees, Calaveras etc...

As you prob know already, there was a time no new trees grew/sprouted (Giant Sequoia)as they were unaware fire was needed, & once the fire did force it's way in, eyes were opened......

I go up 80, 50, 88 & occasionally 4 for hiking etc & 88 (Amador county) seems to be the best example of what they will need to start doing..

There are huge piles, some well over 30 feet that are waiting to be burned but there are other areas I have been out hiking & seen fires starting over on adjacent ridges etc..

There are areas state & Fed, particularly BLM land that you can't even walk through as the trees, mostly saplings & brush are so thick.

I also go into Sierra Pacific (private) & they do a pretty good job of managing, spacing & allowing some older growth etc........

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Go take a crap, you're full of it Andy!!
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    As if you have anything to do with America

You will.be banned from all future threads, I had enough of your monotonous bullshit.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    You're full of shit again, go take a crap!